LZW31-SN status incorrectly reported

I have the dimmer which turns off occasionally, there’s a thread about this already.

I excluded the switch again and included it securely to see if that made a difference.

There are 5 devices created when included.

Parent
Application status
Central scene
kW Hours
Watts
Switch multilevel

Now, when I physically turn off the switch, or turn off the switch, the device updates the parent device, not the multilevel switch device.

So when then lights are on in the living room, the switch on the web interface reports that they are still off.

The Watts, however, are correct, they update within seconds of changes.

Here’s the log of turning off, then on.

Nov-19 19:09:36 Z-Wave Device: Closter TV Ceiling Lights Watts Set to 52.8 (52.8 Watts)
Nov-19 19:09:31 Z-Wave Device: Closter TV Ceiling Lights parent Set to ON
Nov-19 19:09:28 Z-Wave Device: Closter TV Ceiling Lights Central Scene Set to 2000
Nov-19 19:06:05 Z-Wave Device: Closter TV Ceiling Lights Watts Set to 0 (0 Watts)
Nov-19 19:06:02 Z-Wave Device: Closter TV Ceiling Lights parent Set to OFF
Nov-19 19:05:59 Z-Wave Device: Closter TV Ceiling Lights Central Scene Set to 1000

For comparison: here is the log of a LZW30-SN

Nov-19 19:11:59 Z-Wave Device: Closter Foyer Hall lights switch Set to ON
Nov-19 19:11:55 Z-Wave Device: Closter Foyer Hall lights watts Set to 25 (25 Watts)
Nov-19 19:11:54 Z-Wave Device: Closter Foyer Central Scene Set to 2000
Nov-19 19:11:52 Z-Wave Device: Closter Foyer Central Scene Set to 2003
Nov-19 19:08:38 Z-Wave Device: Closter Foyer Hall lights watts Set to 0 (0 Watts)
Nov-19 19:08:37 Z-Wave Device: Closter Foyer Hall lights switch Set to OFF
Nov-19 19:08:36 Z-Wave Device: Closter Foyer Central Scene Set to 1000

Notice that the LZW30-SN doesn’t change the status of the parent, only that of the appropriate child device called switch.

As a workaround, in homeseer you can link the parent device to the multilevel switch (child).

That way, when you physically turn off or on the switch, the associated child device will change status.

Can any Homeseer users post their log of turning on / off / on their LZW31-SN dimmer? Can you also post how you named the parent and child devices created when including the dimmer. I’m sure there is a problem with creation of child devices for this dimmer and not the LZW30-SN switch.

I’m seeing the same sort of behavior. Hitting the light switch on or off doesn’t change the status of the switch entity.

My logs show this:

Blockquote
|Nov-25 8:01:51 AM| |Z-Wave|Device: Second Floor Upstairs Hallway Upstairs Hallway Watts Set to 0 (0 Watts)|
|—|---|—|---|
|Nov-25 8:01:48 AM| |Z-Wave|Device: Second Floor Upstairs Hallway Upstairs Hallway Root Set to OFF|
|Nov-25 8:01:33 AM| |Z-Wave|Device: Second Floor Upstairs Hallway Upstairs Hallway Watts Set to 14.7 (14.7 Watts)|
|Nov-25 8:01:27 AM| |Z-Wave|Device: Second Floor Upstairs Hallway Upstairs Hallway Root Set to ON|

And the switch element is not updated to show it is turned on (or off).

Thank you, I thought I was going crazy. Did you include it as a secure or unsecure node?

I included it using the Z-Tool+ app on my iphone.
So, however that does its thing is how it got added.
If there is a way for me to tell and you can give me some hints on where to look, I will do so and report back.

I think it is quite weird that I’m getting watts info from the device but not the status of the light.
And, I can talk to the switch from my hub without any problems so I know it is connected and communicating on the Z-wave network.

I think z-tool plus by default attempts to do a secure install. I usually manually select unsecure add when using it, especially for battery operated devices because I think they use less energy in unsecure mode.

Unfortunately I don’t know what is wrong with the dimmers and homeseer. I know the wrong device is being updated. Any events that trigger from status of the switch are broken since the multilevel child device is basically not used for status updates. I think I’ll be going back to homeseer dimmers until this gets resolved, which hopefully is soon.

@Eric_Inovelli, @EricM_Inovelli

Thanks for the feedback @devanb. I do have a ticket open with Homeseer, and I have been poking them every few days. The response I have gotten is that they are busy working on the HS4 release and will provide some assistance after that is finished. Unfortunately I’m kind of stuck until they look into it.

As you have noticed the switch is sending a report to the Homeseer hub, but Homeseer isn’t applying it to the correct device. I’ll keep you posted when I find out more.

I’ve seen incorrect status reports in Home Assistant too.

I initially included my LZW31-SN switches with “add node secure”. It was awful. The status reported by HA was almost always different from the real status of the switch. Looking at the ZWave logs, I saw that Open ZWave was rejecting clear text messages sent by the switch. That’s a rule in Open ZWave: if a node was included securely then Open ZWave reject any clear text message from that node.

I excluded the switch and used “add node”. It seems to me I did still get a few incorrect reports afterwards but as we speak I’ve not seen an incorrect report in a very long time. The ZWave network has been restarted in the meantime so it is possible that the initialization process performed when the ZWave network starts has put the switch into the state where the reports are accurate.

Thank you for notifying homeseer.

I have a thread on HS regarding the inovelli dimmers:

They have added my issue with a previous ticket (probably yours).

Since this is happening on homeseer and Home assistant (maybe), why not smartthings?

I came from Vera to Homeseer and never heard of device handlers. I’m not sure what they are and why smartthings needs them. If home assistant and homeseer use a z wave system that does not rely on device handlers or drivers, where is the issue? To be annoying, the inovelli switch works perfectly, not the current dimmer. In fact, my old inovelli dimmer works as well.

Had the same problem and found this thread. Not sure if it’s going to be helpful to anybody, but figured I’d still provide a workaround (or a solution, whatever). The dimmers seem to have 4 association groups:

Group index=“1” label=“Lifeline”
Group index=“2” label=“Basic_Set”
Group index=“3” label=“Switch_MultiLevel_Set”
Group index=“4” label=“Switch_MultiLevel_Start/Stop”

Homeseer only associates itself with the Lifeline group by default. With that group being set homeseer indeed doesn’t report on/off events (when you click the on or off button once), it does however report dim events (when you hold the on or off button), which is weird.
I tried adding homeseer to the other groups and the group 3 seemed to be the one making difference for the on/off events. It now reports all the events immediately and reliably:

Groups 2 and 4 don’t seem to make any difference. Perhaps, someone from Inovelli could explain why it’s happening and whether the other two groups should be associated with the controller as well.

1 Like

@achurak
Nice work!
Adding Group 3 appears to fix the problem for me.
(FWIW, I didn’t need to associate Group 1.)
Once I added Group 3, turning on/off the light at the switch is quickly and accurately reflected in HomeSeer for the light switch element.

I can confirm that by creating an association on Group3, when you physically change the status of the light, the status also updates in homeseer.

Nice job achurak!