3 way with 2 Inovelli Red Dimmers

ok, i am trying to figure out how to take 2 red series dimmers and make them 3 way.

the previous setup for these was 2 levitons, leviton dimmer + leviton remote dimmer. so i have the full set of wires in the gang box, but i am currently setup like this:

Dimmer #1 (Hallway)
Line / Load / Neutral
No Traveler

Dimmer #2 (Hallway Remote)
Line / Neutral
No Traveler / No Load

Both are have been z-wave included through Hubitat. Both are using the Inovelli drivers from https://github.com/InovelliUSA/Hubitat/blob/master/Drivers/inovelli-dimmer-red-series-lzw31-sn.src/inovelli-dimmer-red-series-lzw31-sn.groovy

I have installed the z-wave association apps from https://github.com/InovelliUSA/Hubitat/tree/master/Apps/z-waveat

I have tried this association:
Source: Hallway / Switch/Dimmer/Bulb
Destination: Hallway Remote / Switch/Dimmer/Bulb
Group: 2

No errors in logs, etc, but definitely not getting any 3 way synchronization between the 2 dimmers.

Help?

Homeseer solution would to be to “link” the two devices. I’m not sure if Hubitat has the same option.

You can use rule machine to make a button. 1x push turn on light switch that controls real load, etc…

Thanks. Do not want hacks or work arounds, want to use associations. I paid for a device that does associations, on top of that is how the manual states.

So please, don’t waste time posting random hacks. Thanks.

Umm, k. It was just an idea. I use it to turn on my bedside lamp from the wall switch by pressing up twice in case I don’t want to turn on all the bedroom lighting. With that being said, good luck with your endeavours.

5 Likes

The whole point of a community site is for people to try to help posting other possible solutions you may not have thought of that could at least get you going until you contact support. You should contact support if you haven’t.

6 Likes

more posts about not solving the issue… thanks Terk!

i asked nicely to not flood my post with hacks or workarounds. but thanks for letting me know how internet forums worked, i did not know that. thanks!

@jroback – let me tag @EricM_Inovelli to see what he has in store for this solve. With SmartThings, there’s a specific SmartApp that can be used to Associate two switches together. I’m not sure if there is one for Hubitat, but either way, it should be possible, I’m just not sure how to do it on Hubitat. Eric M is our resident Hubitat expert, so hang tight while he gets to this conversation.

Just a side note @harjmsey and @Terk were just trying to help. While I understand you wanting a straight forward answer, the culture we’re trying to provide here is that everyone helps where they can and it shouldn’t be discouraged. Once someone chimes in with a correct answer (in your opinion), you can mark it as solved. But, you never know, someone else may stumble on this thread and prefer a different answer, so unless it’s spam, then we’re ok with it.

Hang in there, we’ll figure it out!

4 Likes

yea, there is an association app for for hubitat

its unclear though to me, what i need to associate and what settings if any, i need to toggle on the dimmers themselves.

As it does not appear to be obvious to you, you did not ask nicely but instead continue to give attitude when people are trying to help. Generally people stop trying to help when treated this way on a community forum.

9 Likes

So I was able to use the zwave association tool with Hubitat, using the remote dimmer as the source and the dimmer with the load as the destination, using group 2 and things worked, mostly.

as noted in the manual, the remote dimmer will not reflect the current dim level (maybe a software update in the future). definitely some odd behavior on remote side. If you push and hold, you can see the LED bar change, but no changes to the actual lights. If you release and then tap up on the remote, the lights change. So it seems the association only triggers on tap, no hold. Not sure if that is a limitation of association groups or a bug or just not yet implemented feature of the dimmer.

1 Like

Hey @jroback, I just noticed that you associated group 2 (which is on / off). Can you also associate group 4 (which should allow dimming up & down)?

Oh that is interesting. thanks. I have started using Hubitat app called Switch Bindings. Upside is the LED bars are synchronized, downside its a little slower than z-wave association, but Hubitat is local and fast enough. There is a noticeable delay though, so if the inovelli dimmers ever where able to synchronize their LED bars, I would switch back over for sure.

1 Like

Not sure if you were able to find a satisfactory solution to this or not, but I have this exact setup. I just installed two Inovelli dimmers, used the the association tool to link them for control, and used the switch binding app to update the LED on the switch. In the switch binding app you tell it to make the load switch the “master” and enable the option to make it a one-way binding. With this combination the physical light responds instantly and the binding takes care of updating the LED bar. So far so good with my setup.