Compatible Bulbs for Dimmer Switch (Gen 2)

So I contacted Cree support directly and this is what they had to say when specifically asked about other brands than what they have listed, including directly mentioning Inovelli and that they are, in the case of dimmer, using MOSFET instead of TRIAC technology.

Cree Support Email

Essentially what will be listed on the list of compatible dimmers will be our current options that we’d recommend.

Anything beyond its more so a matter of testing them out on your own if you would like too.

As for the 2nd email you sent, our bulbs tend to work best with ELV dimmers, so not sure if that will affect too much into that Inovelli system. We havent from what I’ve tested any of our bulbs with those dimmers, so that would probably be another situation to testing it out and see if it does work fine for you. Given the wide range of dimmer products out there, we sadly dont test with every one, so it could potentially work.

Using the bulbs as is wouldn’t affect your warranty. There can be many reasons as to why bulbs fail which can be hard to narrow down. I would say if you continue to use them as such and they do fail, that could be the issue which would be something to adjust at that time. But we would still honor the warranty for you, just recommend you change your setup to prevent future failures.

1 Like

So Cree are not mosfet bulbs?

Switch Neutral Bypass Bulb Type Bulb Bulb Qty Working? Comments
Red Dimmer Yes No LED Bulb Sea Gull 14520S-15 Traverse Lyte 1/2/3/4/6 Yes No issues

My home builder used these light fixtures everywhere in my home. I originally had them on GE/Jasco 46203 dimmers, and when my VRF HVAC system was doing its thing, it was flicker city unless I had the dimmers at 100% output. Seriously, it was like I was in Disney’s Haunted Mansion.

The compatibility guide says that the Sea Gull 14701S-15s are a no-go, and while the 14520S-15s look similar, they seem to be working just fine and are flicker-free at less than 100%.

So far, I’ve installed LZW31-SNs on one, two, three, four, and six lamp load configurations with these fixtures, and have not run into any problems.

I did have to set parameter 5 (minimum level) to 30 to get a good dimmable range. I also prefer a dimming speed of 1 second vs the factory default of 3, which makes the dimming rate smooth to my eye. At the factory default rate of 3, you can see the the bulbs step through the dimming range as they don’t seem to have the ability to “smooth” out the transition on their own.

Once they’re left on a given level, the lights are rock solid even with the HVAC system running at full tilt.

1 Like

Generation Lighting LED Lamp LED 9.3W A19 3000K JA8 ES ENC BULB, with neutral, no bypass, min is required but switched to smart bulbs before finding the correct min

Traverse Lyte 6in Round T24 3000K 90CRI, with neutral, no bypass, min set at 39
https://generationlighting.com/Details/Traverse-Lyte-6in-Round-T24-3000K-90CRI--14540S
(side note if anyone knows of a zwave or zigbee RGBW replacement for these that would be awesome!)

I am using LZW31with 6 GE enbrighten LED’s in circadian lights setup, 97 CRI. 2 Lights are 24 inches , (SKU 34289), 1 light is 12 inch (SKU 34285) and 2 lights are 18 inches.

GE Enbrighten 24" Premium
GE Enbrighten 18" Premium

Lights have Neutral and no bypass.

I used dimmer for Circadian setup, so brightness changes during the day from 100% to 25%

These lights are amazing, just like Inovelli switch. I would highly recommend it.

1 Like
  • Make/Model of the Bulb (we’ll hyperlink to the page so others can purchase)
    • GE Reveal / GE Relax
  • Are you using a Neutral or Non-Neutral setup?
    • Neutral
  • Are you using a bypass?
    • No - Same answer for 3 bulbs, 5 bulbs, and 12 bulbs
  • Did you have to set any min/max settings?
    • Yes - 42 to 87 on all setups
  • Overall, would you recommend this bulb?
    • Yes - Excellent color reproduction and good brightness range overall. I’ve been a big fan of the GE Reveal line in particular since it was launched.
1 Like

Can you tell me if these bulbs are compatible? I do see a lot of flickering, and it’s super annoying.

Inovelli Z-Wave Switch (Red Series)

Make/Model of the Bulb
Sunco - SC13W65K9012PK - 6" Recessed LED https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N1FCGWD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Are you using a Neutral or Non-Neutral setup?
Neutral
Are you using a bypass?
No
Did you have to set any min/max settings?
I have tried everything.
Overall, would you recommend this bulb?
Great bulb when it’s not flickering.

I am using the GE remote switch in the 3-way setups. I see flickering in both the 3-way and non 3-way applications. My zones are setup with 4 bulbs each.

Hey Ryan,

Is this the dimmer? Or switch? If dimmer, what firmware are you on?

I had issues with intermittent flicker until I upgraded to 1.45 or 1.47 (can’t remember which put the issue to rest for me)

Tim

Make/Model of the Bulb (we’ll hyperlink to the page so others can purchase)
Phillips Hue Color Bulbs
Neutral
Are you using a bypass?
No
Yes - using circadian lighting during the day, so color and brightness changes throughout a day
Yes - Excellent color and brightness range. I’ve been a big fan of the Phillips Hue lights and have 18 lights so far

It is a dimmer. I don’t know why firmware slipped my mind. I will update and report back. Very convoluted process compared to others. Is there a mass-update option I’m missing? I have like 10 of them.

Awesome, thanks for the support in this thread – it really means a lot and it will help so many people!

I’m in the process of updating the Knowledge Base article: https://support.inovelli.com/portal/en/kb/articles/compatible-bulbs-gen-2-dimmers

I’ve started to reformat the page to make it (hopefully) easier to navigate. I’m open to any suggestions if there’s a way to improve it.

Are these just the standard A19 bulb or do you have any other styles (ie: BR30, Candelabra, etc)? Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for sharing! Did you have to make any adjustments on the dimmer from a minimum or maximum dim level value?

You may want to try viewing that page on your phone.

Adding another bulb to the list. I suspect the other wattage and color temp for this bulb should work fine as well.

• Neutral
    • No
    • Min: 38
    • Max: 99
    • Note: I’ve noticed a slight inconsistency in the required min level between certain units. A minimum of 36 works on some, while 38 works reliably on all of them.
    • Yes – this is an excellent choice for a high output recessed LED retrofit.
    • Excellent build quality, 90+ CRI and selectable color temperature
    • See here for more details

• Philips 9290011555
    • Neutral
    • No
    • Min: 30
    • Max: 99
    • No – has loud audible buzzing at most levels

I know, brutal lol… Ugh, I can’t think of an easier way to do it.

You could try doing something along these lines, with the goal of reducing columns. Adding jump links at the top would help get to the desired brand.

The alternative approach would be creating a “wizard” of sorts, where you chose the desired values and it simply filters the results.

Brand
(Table)
Type (Style, Wattage, Kelvin, Model) | Compatibility (Yes/No, Min, Max) | Purchase | Notes
(End Table)

Repeat

Yeah I might do the brand thing, that makes sense. The problem is that it’s built in Zoho (our helpdesk) which has limited capability to be edited, so I have to work with what is built in :frowning:

But, I think you’re on to something with the listing brands at the top!

Does Zoho let you embed an iframe? Maybe you could create a publicly viewable Google Sheet as the source document and embed it as an iframe?

How attached are you to the list living in Zoho? It wouldn’t be hard to setup a standalone list with more flexibility.

Hi,
yes i did but in circadian light settings. Home Assistant & Adaptive Lighting add-on are controlling the dimm settings. I put minimum level at 25%, otherwise my 12" light would go completely dark at & below 25%

Dimmer on its own worked just fine with default settings

Make/Model of the Bulb (we’ll hyperlink to the page so others can purchase)

• Satco S11361, 3000K, 90+ CRI, A21 100w Equivalent Filament Bulbs.

• Neutral

Are you using a bypass?

• No bypass (installed in a fixture of 5 bulbs)

• Yes, Min 30, Max 90

• Yes! Bulbs have been great so far, a bit brighter than expected so I will most likely have to set my default brightness lower.

I have deleted my previous post so the formatting falls inline with what they requested.