Compatible Bulbs for Dimmer Switch (Gen 2)

Thanks for the heads up, but per the below, it says it includes they new tombstones (i.e. the non-shunted lampholders):

Wire nuts (2), Non-shunted lampholders (2), Pre-wired non-shunted lampholders (2), Direct-wire LED tubes (2), Fixture modification label

What I need to know before I order them is whether they are leading or trailing edge to know if they’ll work with my Inovelli Red V2 dimmers.

Toggled(dimmable)LED tubesperform best with ELV (reverse phase) type dimmers. ELV-type dimmers require a neutral wire at the switch and can beslightlymore expensive, but typically resolve potential compatibility issues (including noise and/orflickeringwhen dimming).

https://www.homedepot.com/p/toggled-48-in-16-Watt-Daylight-T8-Dimmable-Linear-LED-Tube-Light-Bulb-2-Pack-D416-50321-2/308086233

I spoke to Toggle and they confirmed they are trailing edge. So the search continues.

2 Likes
  • Make/Model of the Bulb (we’ll hyperlink to the page so others can purchase)
    Cree Lighting TA19-11030MDFH25-12DE26-1-11 6-1-11 A19 75W Equivalent LED Bulb (Dimmable) 1100 lumens Bright White 3000K
    I got them on Amazon for $7.15/bulb
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GNVVVV6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Are you using a Neutral or Non-Neutral setup?
    Neutral

• Are you using a bypass?
    No

• Did you have to set any min/max settings?
    No

• Overall, would you recommend this bulb?
    Yes.

I have a 9 bulb chandelier. I put one in and it dimmed just fine. I then put in the 8 other. They all dim fine without flickering and I am not hearing any noise.

They were a bit yellow for my wife at 3000K so I have the 5000K on order and will be here tomorrow. That product is the

Cree Lighting TA19-11050MDFH25-12DE26-1-E1 6-1-E1

To switch between the 3000 and 5000K on the Amazon site you can click on the “Color” pictures just below the price. They also have 40 and 60 watt equivalents. I got the 75W ones.

I’ll report back if I have any issues with them. If nothing more is posted assume they were fine too.

I simply have been unable to find a leading edge dimmable LED florescent tube replacement for my 48" T8s. (In fact, I can’t find a non-dimmable LED leading edge florescent replacement either. But if I don’t care about the dimming then it seems I might as well just stick with my current fluorescents.)

I know HomeDepot has dimmable ones, and I can return those if they don’t work, but I won’t find out until I cut out the ballast of my existing fluorescents, and that is a big deal to me. So, my question is, can trailing edge lights work just fine with a Red Series dimmer (LZW31-SN) or will they certainly flicker and/or buzz? Or is it just hit and miss in which one might work and others won’t?

I have now installed the “50”s (5000K). They are also working well with no noise or flickering when dimmed. I set up a RM rule to turn them on at 25%, but had to kick that up to 30% to get them to turn on. (And even at that it takes a noticeable amount of time for them to come on, but that is just a minor item). They can be dimmed lower at the switch. All-in-all I’m very happy with them.

I have a back order for 20 more Red Dimmers (“RD”) and once they are back in stock I will be putting them in all throughout my condo. I am also getting 5 of the fan/light dimmers. The fan lights are all candelabra tips. Because they are behind glass canopies that are a bit yellow, I want the brightest, whitest, ones I can find. Cree has a 75 watt replacement, 5000K, candelabra bulb which I will try. As before, all RDs and fan/light switches will be connected with neutrals. Here is the Amazon link to them.

BTW, if you want a more yellow one here is a link to the 75W, 2700K ones.

https://www.amazon.com/Cree-Lighting-Filament-Candelabra-Equivalent/dp/B089HNMPPH/ref=asc_df_B089HNMPPH/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=459419428539&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11946672444126810868&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9011778&hvtargid=pla-948618407225&psc=1

They also make some with lower “wattages”, etc. if you go to Amazon you can easily find them.

Hopefully the RDs will get to Inovelli on 2/15 as they are projecting and I’ll have mine in about a week after that. So hope to report back around the end of February/early March.

I’ll also let you know if I did the LED for fluorescent replacement and how that went.

Stuart

This is maddening. When I bought the Red Dimmers, I didn’t realize the pain point would be finding a decent LED bulb. Bought some feit dimmable bulbs from Costco, flickering all over the place. Tried like 5 other brands and they all have a very faint buzz, but in a bedroom, when standing under the fixture, the slight buzz is maddening.

My requirements are…

1. A19 size
  2. 2700K color temperature
  3. Dimmable
  4. No buzzing, not even slight
  5. No flickering

Does anyone have any recommendations? I bought a 10-pack of Red Dimmable (Gen 2) and now my anxiety is through the roof and I only have one installed so far! :joy:

1 Like

Smart bulbs. :man_shrugging:t2:

Did you consult the bulb compatibility guide?

Yes, that’s how I got here. :slight_smile:

I bought some of the Cree bulbs listed as compatible and still get the buzz. It’s faint, but like I said, in a bedroom, it’s definitely noticeable and extremely annoying.

1 Like

That’s what I had and was moving away from because my family hated having all of the light switches in the house covered and unusable. Unless you mean use smart bulbs WITH the Red dimmable switches?

Correct, smart bulbs with red dimmers. Granted you can only join 5 devices in an association so there’s limits. I had great luck with Great Eagle bulbs from Amazon, but they still have some flicker and audible noise at dimmed levels.

The ones I had were Sengled Zigbee bulbs. Is this the kind of smart bulb you’re talking about or something else?

I have Inovelli RGBW bulbs in certain rooms. They’re ZWave and work well together.

Unknown as the support was not exactly clear with their answer. Upon reading further in the thread it seems a few more people tried these bulbs but I have not found any definitive answer as to how well they work, so if anyone has any guidance I would be all ears. Recently one of my Cree 75W E12 bulbs burned out with a Kasa HS220, so likely looking to replace it after I do a warranty claim on the bulb.

1 Like

Do you have something to check your volts and freqs in the wall? Not to say that user supplied data isn’t subject to error, but the buzz could be site specific.

I think the GE Relax bulbs I have installed in my dining room and hallways meets your requirements, and I definitely don’t hear any buzzing or see any flickering after setting the appropriate minimum setting.

I ended up going to Home Depot and Target and buying one set of every one of their bulbs that met my requirements (soft white, LED, dimmable) and tried them all one-by-one. The GE Soft White and GE Relax HD worked great, no hum/buzz or flicker, but I didn’t like that they weren’t approved for use in totally enclosed fixtures. I tried some Philips bulbs from Home Depot which worked ok, but ultimately settled on the EcoSmart bulbs from Home Depot. They have no hum/buzz, no flicker, and can dim from 40-90 and the range between those two is excellent. Even my wife said she likes how dim these can get, almost like a nightlight. All with no buzz or flicker. I don’t know how long they will last, but for now, these things solved all my issues. Also, they are rated for moisture AND totally enclosed enclosures. I’ll link to the exact model below in case anyone else is interested.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/EcoSmart-60-Watt-Equivalent-A19-Dimmable-Energy-Star-LED-Light-Bulb-Soft-White-4-Pack-B7A19A60WESD14/303574540

1 Like

Wow that’s great! I use mine in totally enclosed fixtures for the record, but I’m glad you found a line that hits all of the right points.

Hey so I’m just revisiting this as someone linked to this thread lol.

We’ll be building this now in Discourse (this forum) and it seems to be a little more friendly on the eyes from a mobile standpoint.

While I can’t add a lot of the filtering options (at least I don’t think so - maybe there’s a plugin out there), I do think it looks much better as you’re able to scroll horizontally.

Here’s an example of what I’m building: Wiki | Compatible Bulb List

Curious on your thoughts!

@Eric_Inovelli I think Hubitat use MediaWiki, and is what I was really hoping for. The formatting in Discourse due to width constraints is a little kludgy.

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=List_of_Compatible_Devices