(Zwave 1.4) Dimmer Support in HomeAssistant?

FWIW, using the xml files for the red series works. Shitilly, but it works.

Can you point me to the red series dimmer in the database, I cant find the lzw31-sn.xml

I followed a somewhat different method from yours. I took the files from Inovelli’s repository and edited the device files to make them conform to the format that Open Zwave 1.4 expects. (I deleted the Metadata elements along with their contents, and changed the Product opening tag to remove the Revision attribute and set the xmlns to that expected by 1.4.) I referred to your method to make sure I was not forgetting anything. I found two issues with your process:

1. Your XML fragment in step 4 is incorrect. The first Product tag is incomplete: the config attribute on that tag is truncated, never terminated and the tag itself is not terminated.

2. For those folks who have already added the node to their ZWave network, it is not necessary to exclude the switch from the network and reinclude it to get the benefit of the fixed Open ZWave database. Instead, while Home Assistant is shut down, they can edit the zwcfg_[hash].xml file. The [hash] part of the name is different for installations. It is a hex number like 0xdeadbeef. They need to find in that file the Node element with an id that corresponds to the ID of the node they’ve added. Then they need to delete that element from start tag to end tag, and all contents of the element. They need to do that for all nodes for which they want HA to fetch the information anew from the database of ZWave devices. After they restart HA and the ZWave network is completely initialized, the nodes will have the correct device information. This is what I did. I did not have to exclude the node and reinclude it.

2 Likes

Why not include this into OZW 1.4?

OZW 1.4 is no longer in development. The developers of OZW do not accept pull requests for that version anymore.

I received black and red switches last week and had a quick look at re-constructing the zwcfg_[hash].xml but aside from changing the name, quickly decided I didn’t have the patience for it that day.

We should collect and store the proper device template for each of the black and red switches, and black and dimmers so that everyone can manually update their zwcfg* files rather than trying to re-create the wheel. I suspect we may be waiting a while before HA moves to OpenZwave 1.6 due to the custom 1.4 in HA.

Right now, my Inovelli switches turn on or off with the generic device information, but instead of the device status updating immediately, it stays in the on or off state until about 5-10 seconds, then it updates. No changes can be made to the power state during this time. If you make the mistake of toggling the power more than once, the events will queue up and it will take a while for the sequence to complete.

Just found this thread. My switches were showing up as unknown in HA. I merged the files and removed/re-added the nodes to HA. So far so good.

I did merge the configs provided by Inovelli and OZW v1.4

Here is the repo with updated manufaturer_specific.xml and xml product specs:

https://github.com/bmtKIA6/home-assistant-Inovelli-openzwave

3 Likes

Wow, you really stepped up, this is awesome, thank you! With a bit of research in creating a network key, and transferring the files over, I now have proper support in Home Assistant and I’m sure this will help others. :grinning:

You rock! :fireworks:

Thanks, was just about to attempt to write my own xml file and checked the community. Took me a little to get it working. Had to edit ~/.homeassistant/.storage/core.config_entries and put my z-wave config folder location there for it to work for me.

Didn’t have to remove/add the devices. Just had to delete the zwcfg file and let it get regenerated (keep a backup)

When you say “proper support”, what functionality did you gain? I have added all my light switches without the configs and wondering if its worth adding the correct xml and redoing.

1 Like

Without the proper device configuration files, the device is queried for it’s features but only provides a basic setup. I found there was a high lag when toggling the lights through Home Assistant which went away once I had the modified Inovelli configuration installed and excluded/included the switches (I didn’t want to delete my configuration as I had other devices). You primary gain the detailed information for the various device settings. If you want to make the most of the switches, I’d highly recommend it and again, much thanks to akguwabr for revising the configuration for HA and sharing it with everyone.

Thanks for the info @LongDono this will be really helpful in the near future as I’m about to transition over to HA now that I’m happy with my trial run over the last 6 months. How does the LED indicator work in HA following a button press? I’ve noticed that the Red Series dimmer LED notifications do not resume in Smartthings following a switch command. I was hoping if the LED notification was set to green that you could press the switch or send a turn on light command and it would return to green once that task was completed. I considered trying to “tweak” the Smartthings device handler code but if I’m going to HA there isn’t a point.

That’s a problem in the firmware so it does not matter which automation platform you use to control the switch. This being said, it would be in theory possible to write code for a specific platform that works around the firmware bug. The platform would have to remember the LED parameter whenever it changes it and watch for state changes on the switch to restore the LED parameter whenever lights are turned on or off, and when the light level is changed.

Thanks ldd for passing along that it’s a firmware design. It sounds like firmware updates will be possible so hopefully that might be available in the future. Writing that code might be possible but I can only imagine the race conditions that it could create.

Thank you for the work @akguwabr, I was able to get my new dimmers up and going in Hass.IO really easily!

Do you know if these steps are the same to get the Inovelli bulb recognized in HA as well? Thanks.

It appears the config at https://github.com/bmtKIA6/home-assistant-Inovelli-openzwave has the LZW31-SN config parameters 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 swapped so the dim rates don’t work as expected (switch and zwave ones are swapped).

I saw somewhere here in the forums that the documentation is wrong and those values are supposed to be flipped.

I just spent half an hour playing and you are right, the manual is wrong. But the description in the xml isn’t quite right either.
Here is what I found:
Parameter 1: Ramp Rate Z-Wave - Controls how fast the light turns on or off from a ZWave command
Parameter 2: Dimming Speed Switch - controls how fast the light changes when the switch is held down
Parameter 3: Dimming Speed Z-Wave - controls how fast the light changes when Z-Wave tells it to go from 1 level to another (Ex. 20% to 80%)
Parameter
Parameter 4: Ramp Rate Switch - Controls how fast the light turns on or off from a switch press (not hold)

My confusion was caused by having parameters 3 and 4 set to 101 then changing parameter 1.

When I deleted the zwcfg file, it regenerated but lost half my network. Did you do anything else prior to deleting the zwcfg file?

Can someone who has a switch working with the new configs share one node snippet so we can see what the new configs look like? Seems like it could be possible to edit the files?

Thanks.