(Zwave 1.4) Dimmer Support in HomeAssistant?

That’s a problem in the firmware so it does not matter which automation platform you use to control the switch. This being said, it would be in theory possible to write code for a specific platform that works around the firmware bug. The platform would have to remember the LED parameter whenever it changes it and watch for state changes on the switch to restore the LED parameter whenever lights are turned on or off, and when the light level is changed.

Thanks ldd for passing along that it’s a firmware design. It sounds like firmware updates will be possible so hopefully that might be available in the future. Writing that code might be possible but I can only imagine the race conditions that it could create.

Thank you for the work @akguwabr, I was able to get my new dimmers up and going in Hass.IO really easily!

Do you know if these steps are the same to get the Inovelli bulb recognized in HA as well? Thanks.

It appears the config at https://github.com/bmtKIA6/home-assistant-Inovelli-openzwave has the LZW31-SN config parameters 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 swapped so the dim rates don’t work as expected (switch and zwave ones are swapped).

I saw somewhere here in the forums that the documentation is wrong and those values are supposed to be flipped.

I just spent half an hour playing and you are right, the manual is wrong. But the description in the xml isn’t quite right either.
Here is what I found:
Parameter 1: Ramp Rate Z-Wave - Controls how fast the light turns on or off from a ZWave command
Parameter 2: Dimming Speed Switch - controls how fast the light changes when the switch is held down
Parameter 3: Dimming Speed Z-Wave - controls how fast the light changes when Z-Wave tells it to go from 1 level to another (Ex. 20% to 80%)
Parameter
Parameter 4: Ramp Rate Switch - Controls how fast the light turns on or off from a switch press (not hold)

My confusion was caused by having parameters 3 and 4 set to 101 then changing parameter 1.

When I deleted the zwcfg file, it regenerated but lost half my network. Did you do anything else prior to deleting the zwcfg file?

Can someone who has a switch working with the new configs share one node snippet so we can see what the new configs look like? Seems like it could be possible to edit the files?

Thanks.

I bought some Inovelli Red dimmer switches and used this repository to add one to HA, but most of my current devices changed to node(x) undefined undefined. I think the Inovelli switch had all of the available options though, so I want to keep troubleshooting to try and get everything working. A couple questions:

1. Is this still the best (and most recent) option for adding Inovelli switches to Home Assistant? If so, maybe I’ll try removing and re-adding the undefined nodes.

2. Is the switch supposed to show up as a light and not a switch? I’m getting light.xxxx, 3 sensor.xxxx, and 1 zwave.xxxx entities?

Thanks for any help

Are these files just pulled from v1.6? I’d like to do this for the RGB bulbs as well. Was wondering if it’s a straight shot or if I have to remove xml nodes.

So I diffmerged the 1.6 config files to the 1.4 versions linked in @Knoxie89’s post. It seems like the metadata items are the main difference between the two.

So in theory this should work to solve issues with the rbg lightbulbs in home assistant, based on the conversation here. Or did you already try this @EricM_Inovelli?

EDIT: Not sure which bulb is which.

I’d assume that lzw40.xml is just an colorless on/off bulb.

Not sure about lzw41xml and lzw42.xml. They both look like rgb bulbs but not sure which one comes with the holiday 4 (red dimmers) and 2 rgb bulbs.

EDIT2: They are the lzw42.xmls. It’s written on the bulbs… I’m slowly learning :wink:

EDIT3: So doing this allowed home assistant to name it properly and expose the configuration options to HA. This is a good thing because I can now adjust the parameters. It did not expose the ability to set the cool/warm slider.

Whats the word on this? Is it still the best way of getting the most of these devices in Home Assistant?

Can anyone share their Home Assistant Zwave config of either the configuration.yaml or core.config_entries?

Nothing is configured in those files in regards to this. I made a guide on getting Inovelli devices in HA for Zwave 1.4 here. OpenZwave (Beta) and Zwave JS don’t have this issue because the config files are included in those integrations.

Followed your guide to a T (which included editing the configuration.yaml file) and it continues to pair the same way (Inovelli Unknown) and no configuration parameters available. If I delete the Zwave integration it will not load Zwave at all even though my configuration.yaml is configured (running HA .105.5.) This leads me to believe that at some point they gave all the power of zwave config to the integrations section of the HA GUI…

See the quote from this thread below. I’ve asked him directly what he modified but have yet to hear back. I tried adding the path to the same file but it must be getting put in the wrong spot because it makes no difference.

No… I’m running 105.5 and everything is working A-OK for me but I configure through configuration.yaml. The integrations page simply overrides whats in the configuration.yaml. It has no bearing on product names that appear in home assistant. If you are using the UI to configure, you have to move it to your configuration.yaml because I don’t believe the UI gives the ability to override the ozwave config directory.

You are missing a step in the guide or the guide is incomplete. I’m pretty sure the guide is complete, because I wrote it as I was building it… All in 105.5 btw.

Also, I only moved over the devices I own from ozw 1.6 to 1.4. What’s the model number of your dimmer?

@samduster Are you shutting down the network when editing the files (maybe even home assistant itself)? I don’t know the technical reason why, but the files will over-write themselves periodically so you can end up in a position where the edits are never actually saved.

@petro don’t think I saw a step included to shut down your instance before trying to edit the files.

1 Like

Good point. I definitely assumed people would know to do that. I’ll add it in. Thank you!

Hey all – going through the forum and cleaning it up a bit. Looks like multiple people solved this in various ways. I’m not that familiar with HA, but what’s the general consensus here? Did we get everything working?

Thanks again for everyone’s help and hopefully we can mark this one as officially solved and closed!

Yes, Eric. The issues were due to older Zwave implementation in Home Assistant. We’ve now got newer, more up-to-date Z-wave support in HA.

I marked the proper solution and edited the title to reflect the version of Zwave in home assistant. That probably should be enough to solve and close the thread.

OpenZwave (Beta) and Zwave JS don’t have this issue because the config files are included.

1 Like