image not found img not found

Dimming Speed and Ramp Rate (Parameter1 and Parameter3) are swapped

I found what I believe to be a bug with Ramp Rate/Dimming parameters in the Red Series Dimmer (probably also for the Black dimmer but I don’t have any of those to check)

After extensive trial-and-error I have discovered that Parameter1 and Parameter3 seem to be swapped. In other words, Param1 description says it controls the “Dimming Speed” used with zwave dimming up or down. But what it actually controls is the “Ramp Rate” which is used with zwave ON or OFF. Likewise, Param3 description says it controls the “Ramp Rate” but what it actually controls is the “Dimming Speed”.

So it appears that these two parameters are swapped from what the descriptions say. Due to the logical order of the descriptions I would guess that the swap error is in the firmware. However, its a relatively easy workaround to swap the descriptions in the device handler. I’m only speculating, but this might affect all Red and Black dimmers across all hub platforms. I only have Red dimmers with SmartThings so that is all I could confirm this behavior

As coded in the ST DTH dated 2020-05-06:

Param 1 Dimming Speed [via zwave]
Param 2 Dimming Speed at physical switch
Param 3 Ramp Rate [via zwave]
Param 4 Ramp Rate physical switch

What actually happens:

Param 1 Ramp Rate [via zwave]
Param 2 Dimming Speed at physical switch
Param 3 Dimming Speed [via zwave]
Param 4 Ramp Rate physical switch

2 Likes

I’ve also often wondered about this… Glad someone took the initiative to actually test it!

I use Home Assistant with a number of red series dimmers and I believe I have observed the same.

My configuration objective is to have “as close to instant as possible” on/off behavior from local single taps and zwave on/off actions, with the only delay being local dimming rate to allow for local dimming by holding the paddle up or down. To accomplish this, I should be able to set parameters 3 and 4 to 0, per the documentation, but have always found that I need to set parameter 1 to 0 as well. I assumed this was some bug with the interaction between Home Assistant and OpenZwave with respect to sending a “dim to 100/0” vs “turn on/off” message, and shrugged it off, but learning that these parameters may be genuinely backward turns on a mental lightbulb (:bulb:) with respect to explaining my past experiences configuring my dimmers :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yep, my objective is similar. I want the on/off events (whether local paddle or via zwave) to be almost instant but the dimming events (whether local paddle or via zwave) to have a little bit of fading up/down (instead of a quick jump). Dimming rate at the switch, needs to have some rate (1 or more) or else it just jumps from min-to-max or max-to-min. Dimming Rate via zwave is a personal preference.

To do what you want (all events to act almost instantly except for local dimming at the switch) you will need to set these values:
Param1 = 0 (instant on/off via zwave command)
Param2 = 1 (or higher to have slower dim rate with paddle switch)
Param3 = 0 (instant jump to dim level via zwave command)
Param4 = 0 (instant on/off via paddle switch)

To do what I want (all on/off events to act almost instantly and all dimming events to have slight dimming rate) I set these values
Param1 = 0 (instant on/off via zwave command)
Param2 = 1 (quick fading when dimming via paddle switch)
Param3 = 1 (quick fading when dimming via zwave command)
Param4 = 0 (instant on/off via paddle switch)