Fan/Light LWZ36 Troubleshooting

I am using Home Assistant. I was using Hubitat. The LWZ36 was fine in Hubitat but in Home Assistant, I don’t know what all the switches do. The switches also don’t respond like normal. Switch (2) doesn’t seem to do anything. I read the instructions on how to add the config files to Home Assistant BUT Home Assistant says “Setup failed for zwave: Integration not found.”

Any help would be appreciated. I have been searching on both the Home Assistant and Inovelli forums without luck. Thanks!

Are you using ZwaveJS2MQTT or the built in ZwaveJS config? And when you say you read the instructions on how to add the config files, do you have a link? From memory, I don’t believe you should have to add anything at all, it should just work once you join the switch to Zwave.

Regarding the switch controls, one of them is the light, one is the fan and the other is the ‘parent’ that you’ll see come on when either one of the others come on. If you turn the parent one on, both the light and fan will come on. Personally I went the route of renaming that one and then making sure to not share that entity over to Google when I wanted to control lights/fans via voice control.

ZwaveJS.

This is the installation link

I wasn’t able to tell which switch is which. There is a lot of lag and sometimes the switches don’t react.

Oh wow, yeah that’s old. Tagging @Eric_Inovelli if we can hide/remove that for now maybe?

OpenZwave was replaced by ZwaveJS a couple years ago at least I believe. You should have something like this in your integrations?

Are you able to expand the Zwave details for the LZW36 in your screenshot? Wondering if you joined this securely (S0 or S2?), alternatively how far is this switch from your hub?

The distance to the hub is no different than my hubitat. As I understand both use the same zwave nortek sticks.

The security is none.

Do you have other zwave switches or repeating devices connected to Home Assistant already? And is Hubitat still running nearby to your Home Assistant hub?

There are 2 things trying to check here, one is the mesh itself and if that could be the issue for the slowness you’re getting, and then we also want to find out what’s up with that “Setup failed for zwave: Integration not found” error you get. Does that log message give any additional information?

I will try to move more zwave devices over from Hubitat to Home Assistant and here is hoping that will improve the response.

“Setup failed for zwave: Integration not found”
That error was from the instructions that as I understand should not be followed anymore. So probably just outdated in Home Assistant.

Thanks for the information. Knowing what (2) switch is is helpful.

This is the device page in HA, and you can see on the right hand side of your screenshot here that it’s connected and receiving info just fine.

ZWaveJS does give you 3 switches.
1 Controls the light
1 Controls the fan
1 Controls both but if I remember right only for turning them off.

You’ll want to toggle them to see which does which and then rename them to something you’ll remember.
And yes, the instructions listed in that link are for OpenZwave which is deprecated.

Thank everyone for the info. (2) ended up being the fan and the first one ended up controlling them both. Thanks again. I’m all set.

2 Likes

Have you had any issues with the combo entity or additional entities randomly appearing?

I have FOUR LZW36 switches, THREE on firmware 1.34.1 and ONE on firmware 1.36.1. Via my Alexa integration, I randomly get push notifications on my phone indicating that new entities have been added to my setup. e.g. XYZROOM Ceiling Fan (2), (3), (4), and so on. It’s almost like something resets so it adds a new entity and then forgets it after a period of time. And even found that my custom naming conventions get lost. I want to say it’s happened more with the firmware 1.34.1 devices, but looking at my 1.36.1 device I see an old entity “(14)” that’s unavailable and I am unable to delete it. So, it appears to impact all of these switches.

I’m also on Home Assistant and using Z-Wave JS (both UI and the native version).

My current workaround has been to just disable or hide the new entities that appear, including the combo switch since I do not want that one at all. However, I periodically have to do clean up. Is anyone else seeing this with the LZW36 and Home Assistant?

Also, @Eric_Inovelli would it be recommended to upgrade the firmware to 1.36.1 for all? I believe it’s still listed as beta and I’ve heard from convos from Support that these devices have been troublesome for many. They’re working for me well over 90% of the time, but it’d be great to minimize the upkeep if I can.

This isn’t something I’ve come across yet and I’ve had them connected to ZwaveJS since it launched.

Seconding this issue with the entities resetting. I wish I knew when if first started happening but life was too busy to dig into any other changes at the time. custom device names and entity names reset.

Also using HA and Z-wave JS.

What I found odd first was the fan.switch entity had re-classified to light.switch, so I went through and reassigned everything on dashboards and automations. However, on next system reset, it once again reset names, and switched back to fan.switch entity.

It’s looking like every time I restart the z-wave js addon, my switch names get reset.

Let me know if there’s a github thread I should reply on as well please.