Fan & Light Switch (Project Hurricane)

What is the final design look like for wiring wise? It looks like initial designs started with wiring going in to switch (like existing dimmers) but the final design shows pigtals?

What is the reason for using pigtail wiring? I notice other fan/light switch does the same as well and it sucks since it requires using bulky wire nuts that don’t work nicely with stranded wires.

Also would this work in a case where fan and light are separate (ie 2 loads/lines) or is it specifically designed for 2 loads sharing a single line?

Forget beta testing! Just ship it!! Just kidding :smiley:

Guys! These look really sharp and if they’re anything like the dimmers, they’ll be well worth waiting for! If you need any additional help, feel free to add me to your long list of beta testers.

Bring on the pre-orders! I ain’t skeered!

How do you pick who you ask to test? Do you have a select few or a sign up or someone? Thanks.

@Eric_Inovelli Will we be able to configure the fan with a simple on/off so that it can be used with an exhaust fan instead of a ceiling fan (such as in a bathroom)? Or even as a dual switch in a single gang box for two lights?

My use case is that I currently have a dual switch in a single gang in our bathroom for the light and exhaust fan (separate switches in a single gang box) and I’d like to replace it with this. I’d just worry about the multi-speed selection since it’s designed for a ceiling fan. I’d rather just have it configured a a simple on/off.

I’m 99% sure it will have the ability to work with smart bulbs. It was listed in the PRD that we gave to them, but now we’re working through the firmware, so I’ll know more once we start creating it.

The part we’re a little cloudy on is that all the relays are actually in the module which does not speak Z-Wave (it’s an RF Communication between the switch and module) so I’m not sure if the commands are the same to disable the relay’s.

I’ll defer to @EricM_Inovelli on this one, but also know we’re at CES now so there may be a delay in response!

Hey so I’ll try to answer as many as I can here – I do have some follow ups on a few questions with the manufacturer so hang in there!

Unfortunately, this switch does require a Neutral wire :frowning:

Roger that Captain!

This is one of those questions I have to pass on to the manufacturer – I know you can have multiple switches in each house, I just can’t remember the actual procedure to pair them.

You got it! We likely do need someone with OpenHab, so I’ll reach out for sure if we do – thanks!

Excellent question – so, at this time, the switch will not work with an aux or dumb switches. We originally asked for this, but we were told that this would add in a lot of costs and since the relays were in the actual module, a 3-Way solution was not possible.

However, what you could do is wait for one of our remotes to come out and then associate that remote with the physical switch so that when you pressed the button on the remote it would turn on either the fan or the light. Lutron does something similar with their Pico’s.

No, unfortunately, this one is meant for a single 14/3 wire that comes doesn from the fan. We haven’t created a dual switch yet with two separate 14/3’s, but hope to do so soon! My suggestion, if you have two 14/3’s is to widen the single gang box into a dual gang box and then buy a Fan switch (either GE or if you can wait for our Windy City Project, that works) and then a Dimmer switch for the lights.

Honestly, unfortunately probably not going to happen any time soon or ever at this point. It’s taking forever to get the neutral version out and when we initially did market research, there just wasn’t enough non-neutral houses that had ceiling fans, so we made the choice to not pursue it at this time (also, the manufacturer was losing their mind trying to figure out how to make this a possibility, so we just said forget it for now). I wish I had better news on this one :frowning:

Hey thanks for the support, that really means a lot!

Damn lol. Honestly, I’m not sure on this one. I don’t think it’s an issue, but let me check with @EricM_Inovelli. Again, we’re at CES so there may be a slight delay in answering this, but I’ll check.

Let me check here as well.

Great question – the module will fit in any standard bracket. It will look something like this: Install a Ceiling Fan Remote Control Module

Any consolation, I like the second option – the wood blades are sharp!

Yeah definitely – we also appreciate all the constructive feedback and enjoy making these products with you all as well! It’s better to have 1000 project managers than 1 in my opinion!

Awesome, we appreciate it! We’ll be sending out a questionnaire shortly (there are some people that we’ve promised to be in our beta program that we want to take care of first and then the remaining will be selected based on the answers to the questionnaire) as there is a very limited supply of samples we can get and an accelerated amount of time we have to get feedback. But, definitely thanks for asking, we’ll keep that in mind!

At the switch, there is a Neutral and Line terminal (no pig-tails). While at the module, there is a Neutral, Line, Light and Fan pig-tail. Here is the schematic for reference:

Not sure honestly – I think because it actually helps save space inside the module as in this case, the relay and other electrical components are located in the module as opposed to the switch, so pigtails made it easier.

Great question – this one is designed specifically for when 2 loads share a single line. My bad guys, had a long day. You can use this if you have two wires coming into the same gang-box. You’d essentially just cap off the second Romex and use just one of the lines as originally intended.

Lol – ah man, I’ll make you a deal – no beta testing if you promise not to write up any 3-Way issue threads!

Great question – so we’ve picked and/or promised various people based on their involvement in the community paired with their knowledge of smart homes and overall programming/hardware knowledge. We do have a short list believe it or not! As for the remaining, we try to find different hubs that we don’t have personally to test. What we’ll likely do is send out a questionnaire shortly for the remaining and then let people know if they’ve been selected.

There’s a very limited supply (15 units) and an overwhelming amount of people who want to test for us (we’re super grateful btw, it means a lot) so it will be hard to pick and choose.

I wish… we wanted this feature, but it was just too hard to switch gears from a design standpoint without pushing this project out to mid 2020, so we had to stick with the original design (fan speed and dimming lights + single Romex wire coming down from the fan). I believe Zooz just came out with what you’re looking for here though: Zooz Z-Wave Plus S2 Double Switch ZEN30 VER. 2.0 (White) for Light & F - The Smartest House

2 Likes

HA! No Problem! All the Fan Switches in my house are single switch/load only :smiley:

1 Like

Hey, loved your other switches and swung by your booth at CES yesterday. Interested in testing!
Using OZW 1.6 & HomeAssistant

No, unfortunately, this one is meant for a single 14/3 wire that comes doesn from the fan. We haven’t created a dual switch yet with two separate 14/3’s, but hope to do so soon! My suggestion, if you have two 14/3’s is to widen the single gang box into a dual gang box and then buy a Fan switch (either GE or if you can wait for our Windy City Project , that works) and then a Dimmer switch for the lights.

I mean to say I replaced the 14/2 with 14/3. 14/2 from the panel to switch box and 14/3 from the switch box to the ceiling unit

I didn’t realize this was a 2 part switch with a separate module at the fan. I still have a need for it though since I have a ceiling fan where the hampthon bay zigbee module doesn’t work in a stable way. So I will give this a try.

1 Like

Great to hear that this is coming out. I’ll be ordering one. It’s been a while since I posted in the forum and wonder what happened to breeze mode. I think when I go to install this on the fan in the cathedral ceiling it will be an opportunity to change out the fan to something I like better. The one I want doesn’t have a light kit but will be adding one. I’m also in the process of changing from Wink to Hubitat.

Can’t dapollo989 or anyone with a 14/3 (like me) just kill a leg from switch to canopy, just run 1 line to module and pick it up at module? Because i have one situation like that and I was expecting to do that. Big issue with concrete wall…already chipped it out f deep enough double gang. Would hate to redo to make a triple gang.

Also, would be happy to beta test . i have ST so not sure if i’d make the cut

That should work, just cap the red wire at both ends.

Yeah, I thought Eric was saying no to dapollo989 . Could have misunderstood his situation

Really looking forward to this product and plan to purchase several. How many dimming and fan speed levels will this have? I have a Lutron Maestro IR that allows for probably around a dozen light AND fan speeds, which is a nice bonus.

Great to see the pre-orders open, just placed my order for 3. Looking forward to having reliable fan and light automations on Hubitat and voice control for my ceiling fans finally! A few years ago I installed 2 of the King of Fans Zigbee modules but they haven’t been reliable at all as they would work for a few days then 1 at least would stop responding no matter how many times I tried to reset them or move repeaters nearby, and this happened on ST and Hubitat.

Thanks for saying this, I’ve been on this thread a few times today and I didn’t even realize pre-orders were open!!! Order in.

Pre-Ordered my trio of switches…

If you need a Hubitat beta tester that will have two switches near each other, I’m your guy.