HASSIO ZWAVE Scene sending but not receiving

Hello all, I am struggling to figure out zwave scenes.

I have:

• HASSIO running 0.117.5
  • AEON Labs ZW090 Z-Stick Gen5 US
  • Innovelli LZW30 (Black On/Off) switch

I have tested Home Assistant with

• HASS OpenZWave 1.6 Beta
  • ZWave2MQTT
  • Standard HASS ZWave 1.4

I found the latter to be the most responsive of the three so that is how I am currently configured.

I followed this guide https://support.inovelli.com/portal/en/kb/articles/installation-setup-lzw30-on-off-black-series-gen-2-home-assistant-hass-io to import the most recent Innovell XML files and redirect the ZWave configs to /config/open-zwave/config this fixed my unkown switch issue. The switch snows up with the correct device info and works fine. My confusion comes with Scenes.

I am able to go to Developer Tools > Services and run service
zwave.set_config_parameter with the values
node_id: 9
parameter: 5
value: 80

This changes my LED to Green.

But I cant figure out how to get scene commands FROM the switch.

I created an automation like so:

alias: Switch - Laundry Config Familyroom
description: ''
trigger:
      - platform: event
        event_type: zwave.scene_activated
        event_data:
          node_id: 9
          scene_data: 7680
          scene_id: 3
    condition: []
    action:
      - service: light.toggle
        data: {}
        entity_id: light.family_room
    mode: single

My research says that ID-3 Data-7680 should be the config button on the switch. And that when that is pressed it should then toggle my family room lights.

However, I never get anything to happen.
I dont see anything in the zwave log.
Nor do I see anything when I listen for zwave.scene_activated event on the Developer Tools > Events

Lots of post talk about adding or removing lines from the zwcfg_0xc72b1d5f.xml file. I am confused how this file is used as configs have been redirected to the open-zwave/config directory.

I am also confused about how I would need to manually add lines to a file after pulling the entire OZW repo with over a thousand device-specific XML config files.

Am I not seeing any incoming scene events because I am missing lines from the XML?

Which lines and where should the XML file live, HASS root or OZW Config?

I also have two other switches a Red On/Off and a Red Dimmer. I want to get all necessary configs for all three switch types.

In my journey to figure this out, I also installed an on off red switch. (LZW30-SN)
I also added the following lines on both node 9 and 10 on my zwcfg_*.xml stored on my HASSIO root.

<CommandClass id="91" name="COMMAND_CLASS_CENTRAL_SCENE" version="1" request_flags="4" issecured="true" innif="true" scenecount="0">
                <Instance index="1" />
                <Value type="int" genre="system" instance="1" index="0" label="Scene Count" units="" read_only="true" write_only="false" verify_changes="false" poll_intensity="0" min="-2147483648" max="2147483647" value="0" />
                <Value type="int" genre="user" instance="1" index="1" label="Top Button Scene" units="" read_only="false" write_only="false" verify_changes="false" poll_intensity="0" min="-2147483648" max="2147483647" value="0" />
                <Value type="int" genre="user" instance="1" index="2" label="Bottom Button Scene" units="" read_only="false" write_only="false" verify_changes="false" poll_intensity="0" min="-2147483648" max="2147483647" value="0" />
                <Value type="int" genre="user" instance="1" index="3" label="Config Button Scene" units="" read_only="false" write_only="false" verify_changes="false" poll_intensity="0" min="-2147483648" max="2147483647" value="0" />
            </CommandClass>

Then I created an automation like this

alias: Switch - Scene Test
description: ''
trigger:
    event_data:
      node_id: 10
      scene_data: 7860
      scene_id: 2
    event_data:
      node_id: 10
      scene_data: 7680
      scene_id: 3
condition: []
action:
  - service: light.turn_on
    data:
      brightness: 255
      rgb_color:
    entity_id: light.family_room
mode: single

Which should turn the lights pink when up is pressed twice or the config button is pressed.
But I still get nothing.

Does anyone know of a way in home assistant to see incoming scene configs?
HASS documentation says

The entity_id and scene_id of all triggered events can be seen in the console output.
https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/z-wave/events/

What console?

I think I found my answer
In this post they reference the error, and that it’s caused by an insecure flag.

I removed the text issecured="true" from the <CommandClass id="91" line in the zwcfg_*.xml for both nodes and then tried my button again and got

2020-11-09 18:56:28.977 Info, Node010, Received Central Scene set from node 10: scene id=3 in 7680 seconds. Sending event notification.
2020-11-09 18:56:28.977 Detail, Node010, Initial read of value
2020-11-09 18:56:28.978 Detail, Node010, Notification: ValueChanged
2020-11-09 18:56:39.778 Detail, Node010,   Received: 0x01, 0x0b, 0x00, 0x04, 0x00, 0x0a, 0x05, 0x5b, 0x03, 0x30, 0x83, 0x02, 0x16

AND MY LIGHTS TURNED PINK! One small step for me one giant leap for my Home Automation. :slight_smile: