[HOW-TO] Using the Z-Wave Association Tool in SmartThings

Why it is working with parameter 12 is because if you disable the z-wave command association responses, it will ignore these. The negative with that is that the switches no longer stay in sync when you adjust them from the hub.

The problem I see is that when you change a switch locally it sends the same command as when you change it from the hub. That is why disabling the z-wave part of parameter 12 makes it works locally (it interprets the command as a z-wave command).

Since the commands are the same the switch has no way of telling them apart. For example, when you use Hubitat to change the level it sends:

SwitchMultiLevelSet(x%)

When you adjust the switch locally it sends the following command to the other switch:

SwitchMultiLevelSet(x%)

The command doesn’t specify where it came from or how it came about. So it is definitely something that would be great to fix in firmware, but I currently am not seeing a way to do it.

2 Likes

Maybe the solution for remote control in @GavinCampbell 's setup is to use a virtual device for remote control that receives commands and then sends them individually to each switch. You would then just have to not send them individual commands other than through the virtual device.

2 Likes

Hi! What are Groups 1, 3, and 5 used for with the Association Tool? I have not been successful in finding the answer during my searches. Thank you!

Group 5 isn’t used on this device. The rest of them are defined in our manual. Group 1 is usually only associated with your hub.

I’m having some troubles, and I’m not sure if I’m doing something wrong. I was having the same issue when trying to use Zwave tweaker instead of this app, but this app is definitely more user-friendly.

I have a red series switch, and 3 RGBW bulbs. The switch doesn’t control an actual load. I want to associate the switch with the 3 bulbs, but no matter what I try, it seems to only grab the first bulb that I check in the list. When I was using a comma-separated list of IDs in Z-wave tweaker, I had the same issue… just the first bulb. Am I missing something to make my switch control all 3 bulbs?

Hey @Jonathan, this is a known bug for the ON / OFF switch firmware. When the device is using S0 security it only sends the association commands to the first device in the association list.

This is fixed in a new firmware. I am about to post a link to it.

Edit: Firmware v1.16 (Beta) | LZW30-SN | Switch - Red Series (Gen 2)

@EricM_Inovelli thanks, that worked perfectly. I half expected that my decade old Z-wave stick wouldn’t have worked for some reason – but no issues updating it, and now my switch is controlling all 3 bulbs!

1 Like

I am struggling getting my security levels to play nice…

I have 6 ilumin bulbs and several red series dimmers.

I am trying to get them to associate and struggling to get desired devices at the right security levels.

All of the bulbs are pairing in at * networkSecurityLevel: ZWAVE_S0_LEGACY which honestly is fine with me as I’ve heard that the additional security just generates wasteful overhead in the mesh.

1 switch paired in at the same * networkSecurityLevel: ZWAVE_S0_LEGACY which works perfectly with the association just as I would like for it to do.

Other switches pair in at * networkSecurityLevel: ZWAVE_S2_AUTHENTICATED.

I can “sabotage” the security pairing by intentionally failing to scan the QR code when it’s requested, but that results in * networkSecurityLevel: ZWAVE_S2_FAILED

anyone got any tips on how to pair these switches in at S0 ? that seems ideal for speed and interoperability with the lights.

As a backup, how can I get the bulbs to pair in at S2? they seem to pair fast and one is only 2 feet away from the hub so I know it’s not a range thing… but they only want to pair in at S0. (side note I did pair all the bulbs before installing the bulb device handler… would they now pair at S2 since I have the handler?)
edit: tried excluding and pairing one of the bulbs now that the handler is installed. Bulb that’s 2 foot away from the hub still paired in at S0… so I guess that’s not it.

thanks!

Hey so I actually ran across this myself and was getting super frustrated.

What I ended up doing to get it to work was bring the bulb extremely close to the hub to pair it. It ended up pairing w/S2.

I think I brought them within maybe 6ft of the hub.

Just remember to do a Z-Wave refresh once you move the bulb to its final location.

Let me know if that helps!

1 Like

Thanks for the response I’ll keep plugging away at it see if I can get these bad boys to play nice.

I think that security level may be the same as ZWAVE_S0_LEGACY so you might want to try to associate it. Also, you can use the classic app as an alternative to sabotaging the S2 pairing. They didn’t build S2 pairing into the classic app so the highest it can go is S0.

the classic app trick might be JUST what the doctor ordered!

1 Like

Hi @EricM_Inovelli I’m trying to get this to work with an LZW30-SN & a GE 46201 switch

I’m using this hubitat driver for the GE switch: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Botched1/Hubitat/master/Drivers/GE%20Enbrighten%20Switch/GE%20Enbrighten%20Switch.groovy

Can you tell me exactly where i need to add the new code to make the associations work?

If the GE is the load bearing switch then you don’t need to modify its driver. If the Inovelli is the load bearing switch you can see my instructions here:

Yes, i saw that, but I’m sorry, i’m not following.

Can you clarify how exactly i need to modify this driver when the inoveli is the load bearing switch:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Botched1/Hubitat/master/Drivers/GE%20Enbrighten%20Switch/GE%20Enbrighten%20Switch.groovy

New to Inovelli, I have a Red Series Switch and two ilumin bulbs that I was getting set up this weekend. Really like the ability to setup scenes with the switch. I have the switch setup with “Disable Internal Relay” since it controls two outlets that are now ilumin bulbs. I setup a zwave association from the switch to the 2 bulbs, but didn’t see much improvement in the timing of turning the lights on/off with single push. Was wondering if things were not ran directly through association if the internal relay is disabled?

Another troubleshooting hint for others - If you have “Disable Remote Control” set in SmartThings config, you won’t be able to add associations to the device. This drove me crazy for a while and I moved on to playing with the notifications, for which I found a message that they won’t work if you have “Disable Remote Control” set (LED Bar Error on Red Series Switch with Hubitat). Resetting this option fixed my notifications but also let me finally add the associations.

SmartThings probably included them with security enabled which will add a little overhead. There may also be a z-wave route involved so you might want to try a z-wave repair.

1 Like

The directions at the top of the page were mostly helpful, but it is probably worth mentioning that I had to install the Device Handler for model LZW31-SNU from page (https://support.inovelli.com/portal/kb/articles/products-switches-dimmer-lzw31-sn-device-handler-installation-smartthings) before I could get the ZWave Association Tool to take action on my devices. Before creating the appropriate Device Handler and assigning them to the devices, the smart app would fail to configure and say Check your Network.

How is everyone here getting this to work? I followed the OP’s directions, step by step and no results. I specifically bought an inovelli dimmer to control the 2 ilumin bulbs I bought. When I asked prior to purchasing, the helpful sales associate said a dimmer would be best because of this very thread here. My setup is a red series dimmer controlling 2 lights that I have 2 ilumin RGB bulbs now in those spots. I was hoping that the bulbs would never go offline in the hub and this “app” was suggested. I installed both custom apps. I also made associations with the switch and the bulbs group 2 and 4. I have deleted the app, reinstalled, then tried just group 2. Din’t work. I also turned of local control via the app and locally (successfully) but the association has never worked. When local control is disabled the wall switch is worthless and does nothing. I sent an email to support and after they asked the basic questions they said “wow that’s great, enjoy!” The smart app does not work. Is there a step I’m missing that isn’t listed here but implied? Maybe since support quickly dropped me I’d ask the community. Thanks

@EricM_Inovelli @Eric_Inovelli I don’t use associations so I’m not much help, but these two Eric’s are pretty smart and should be able to help.