Ilumin RGBW bulb unable to change colors - SmartThings

It could be the wrong device handler although I’m pretty sure I installed the one provided by inovelli. I guess it couldn’t hurt to just reinstall the device handler.

I found something on a SmartThings forum post that suggests there are logs available. It might be worth checking some of these out to see if it points you in the right direction.

Device logs:
https://graph.api.smartthings.com > My Devices > (Choose a device ie Switch1) > List Events
Want to see what your devices are doing and why? Then this is your stop. These entries are historical up to 7 days
DEVICE /physical: came from physical contact
APP_COMMAND: came from an app

There is a updated DH for the colour bulb also…

Thanks, Scott. I will grab the updated DH. And I will check those logs to see if they say anything useful.

I see there is a whole other “def” section at the bottom of the DH script that defines temps and colors that my DH doesn’t have. Maybe that will do the trick.

1 Like

That DH was created for another customer to see if that fixes their issues. It might work for you and if it does let me know so I can let @EricM_Inovelli know this.

Ummmm… @EricM_Inovelli is the new handler supposed to change all bulbs with that handler to same color in the house? Also the new handler shows up as a switch in SmartThings but operates as a bulb but somehow changing one bulb changed all of them.

This is actually a version of the handler created by @bcopeland. Want to make sure he gets credit for the work he did. We are having some users test it to see how it does on SmartThings.

1 Like

@EricM_Inovelli and @Eric_Inovelli It does some CRAZY things.

-On a light fixture with a non-inovelli switch, changing “bulb 1”, changes all bulbs in same fixture.

-Changing colors on an associated inovelli red dimmer v2 causes some of the bulbs to flicker.

-BUT on a Red v2 On/Off switch it is a superior handler and all bulbs operate as intended in same fixture.

On a related note, 4 of my dimmers, 3 attached to Inovelli RGBW bulbs all have TONS of issues and as of last night, one dimmer was bricked in an “Offline” but on state, unable to factory reset and it stays lit up. Breaker reset seems to also not do anything. Before the brick, the other 3 all have a lot of issues with RGBW bulbs, couldn’t go below 30 on dim before flicker light show (with relay disabled), with relay enabled they dim poorly but also make the buzz. Disabled relay also makes the led on switch just a pretty light. The physical paddle on switch works, some times but hit and miss. About to send them all back since we have none of the issues with on/off v2.

I’m going to glance over it… Some of the functions I used are hubitat specific… Also hubitat seems to have more strict standards (which I like)… I just don’t have a smartthings hub to test with at the moment

I gave my old smartthings hub to a friend that is just starting out in smart home… Also gave him my lightify bulbs that I replaced with inovelli

aha! I didn’t realize this was the same one you mentioned on hubitat forum. It def should have gotten a Eric M touch up before showing up on Smartthings side of device handlers.

On a side note, i’ve been reading your posts and work on hubitat and hope to some day soon make the move. Been getting my ducks in a row because I need something that just works :wink:

Smart bulbs should never be on a dimmer… Inovelli dimmers are unique in their ability to disable the relay… But the relay has to be disabled…

1 Like

Yes, that is accurate…and I mentioned issues with relay disabled. However the provided documentation with their dimmers says the relay “may have to be disabled” with smart bulbs. Disabling the relay sadly causes the dimmer to not work as intended. As observed by many and described in detail here: Red Series Dimmer (LZW31-SN) observations and comments

Either way the provided handler isn’t currently SmartThings friendly in any situation I’ve tested other than Red v2 On/Off switches

1 Like

I am using the bulbs in two standing lamps that are not on any kind of switch, just a pull chain to turn them on and off.

Get Hubitat… It’s a little more work but the rewards are so high for that extra time.

1 Like

My sentiments exactly. I have always said that a smart bulb on a smart switch = dumb bulb but Inovelli wants to change the law of physics :slight_smile:

1 Like

This weekend I have 2 tests to run… first the internal relay issue where it seems to re-enable itself and the other the new fan/light switch.

The internal relay has been a thorn in my butt.

1 Like

It works in theory… But I find most people don’t understand how it’s supposed to work…

With relay disabled and association set properly it should work as advertised…

I don’t currently have any smart bulbs on my dimmers… But that may change soon… I have been wanting to try that setup

I am happy to report that the updated DH script seems to have fixed my issue. I can now change the colors on the bulb without the bulbs turning off and becoming unresponsive and the bulbs consistently get included with the proper name (Inovelli multicolor bulb) rather than a generic dimmer switch.

2 Likes

I’m seeing the opposite as @stan

With the new DH, the bulbs constantly show as unavailable in ST. They still respond to zwave association from the physical press of the switch even while showing unavailable, but they do not respond to zwave commands sent to the switch. I switched back to the old DH and issue went away.