Is Inovelli dead?

Agreed. WiFi is fine for onsey-twosie devices, but I wouldn’t scale it. Too much network chatter. Also, all home routers will have a 253 device limit.

Oh don’t get me wrong, I agree with you completely. I came from an Alexa filled house and I spent years yelling at my house to do stuff. She is the reason I went to zigbee/zwave and Hubitat. She is also now unplugged and resting eternally in a cardboard box. My only point was, since moving this new direction a couple of months ago it seems like every manufacturer in this space is having major supply problems. Somebody somewhere mentioned that they cannot get circuit boards and chips right now. But my point was, Wifi devices are not suffering from these problems as far as I can tell so it worries me a bit that this market might be in trouble. Every brand people recommend to me for various sensors have either been discontinued or out of stock. Kinda gives me an uneasy feeling.

Depending on your network you are not limited to 253 if you change your netmask. These are the private IP ranges.

• 192.168.0.0 – 192.168.255.255 (65,536 IP addresses)
  • 172.16.0.0 – 172.31.255.255 (1,048,576 IP addresses)
  • 10.0.0.0 – 10.255.255.255 (16,777,216 IP addresses)

Yes, that’s why I said “home” router. There are work-arounds. Still not recommended.

Most home routers can do that. It just takes some network knowledge.

1 Like

Definitely not workarounds…it’s subnetting.

2 Likes

I get it. Still not recommended. :blush:

My router was very specific in stating that it could ONLY provide up to 253 IP addresses via DHCP.

With notable networking knowledge, one might be able to “hard code” everything and work around it. But, that certainly goes beyond the skillset of most people. Especially when you need to stop using the router’s DHCP server and possibly create a separate server to do DHCP.

I feel like people diving into something like a real smart house using real smart house gear should probably be able to handle a real router as well. Vlans, subnets, and vpns can be very useful in this hobby.

2 Likes

:+1: I put my IP cameras on a separate vlan to not pollute the rest of the network.

1 Like

I’ll sell you my spare EdgeRouter…

2 Likes

I’m sure that the same folks selling wifi home automation products will gladly also sell you a new wifi mesh network with wider subnets (or IPv6) to get around that limitation… :wink:

The people buying wifi “smart home” devices to hook up to Google/Alexa–aren’t the folks with hubs, z-wave, zigbee, and Network (VLAN, subnetting, DHCP, etc.) experience.

The point to them is… They stick it where they want it, plug it in/pull the battery tab, download YET ANOTHER app, run the app, click a few buttons–and Google/Alexa find it and are happy.

1 Like

I bought 2 at this openbox price, as a means to “try them out” with plans to get more if they were great, which they were. Now I wait patiently to get more.

I think a TRIAC version of the Red Dimmers sounds exciting. Currently, I have a whole house of retrofit flat LED’s and AFAIK MOSFET dimmers don’t work as well as they should.

1 Like

@Eric_Inovelli hey I’d love to help you guys out a bit if you’ve got any interest. Currently involved in a few projects, I think I know a few things about technology and business.

3 Likes

Just chiming in to share the Inovelli love. I’ve worked my way through the sea of ‘smart switches’, from the usual GE/Jasco and Lutron devices to the Wink (RIP), Shellys (wifi??, pita to install / maintain), and “Brilliant” (hard quotes, hard /s, hard pass) switches - gotta say you guys have nailed every core requirement from this HA enthusiast’s POV, head and shoulders above every other switch I’ve deployed. It’s a goldilocks problem - switches either whiff on primary requirements (always-on, no wifi) or try too hard and ultimately fail on the user-experience/software side (Wink and “Brilliant”).

The software / firmware seems to be the challenge - designing for a massively wide market that includes HA flirts, vendor-specific hub zealots, and DIY nerds with engineering degrees etc. has to be near impossible, or just impossible. I’m biased, but I think Inovelli should double-down on the HA enthusiast and open-source communities - I’m shocked at the quality from the open-source gang specifically. You can also chart a direct downward utility/value line with any open platform once it’s purchased by a bigco (ahem, SmartThings) - conflicting interests and missing core competencies deliver a generic, watered down, and super slow moving user experience.

So, I’m convinced that the best smart home experience will be delivered by open and community-lead platforms. I’ve seen at another thread showing Inovelli’s interest in expanding their firmware into the open-source community and understand there are a few roadblocks to knock down - but the sooner the better imo. I’d recommend talking to the crew at Nabu Casa if you haven’t already (and maybe a few community ninjas like @frenk) - if nothing else, I bet they have some good experience to share on what works, what doesn’t, what’s missing, and what’s popular in the open platform/device/hardware space.

Anyhoo, keep focused and keep moving - seriously great product.

2 Likes

I also tried replaying to “[email protected]” and didn’t get a response.
Submitted a reseller form three times (first was at the and of April) but nobody had contacted me yet. @Eric_Inovelli I’d love to get some more info.
Thanks

I’ll have Eric reach out to you - we’re not sure where the B2B partnership program stands at the moment - I think we may be getting rid of it for anyone under MOQ of 1,000 units per year. We are trying to close an investment deal right now so a lot is riding on that.

Sorry no one has gotten back to you!

3 Likes

Thank you @Courtney_Inovelli .
Looking forward to hear from Eric