LED Bar Intensity values - big gap/jump between 10% and 20%

When setting the LED Strip Intensity the choices are in 10% increments. 10% is quite dim (as expected) however the next increment is 20% and is a big jump in visible brightness of the LED strip. Increments after that are much more subtle. The perceived brightness jump from 10 to 20 is as much, if not more than from 20 to 100. I would like to set the “off state” intensity to something brighter than the current 10, but still significantly dimmer than the “on state” intensity than something over 50.

This would probably need either one of two things:

1. change the duty cycle calculation so the actual intensity jumps are much more linear
    or
  2. change the UI to allow us to set any discreet value from 0-100 (or possibly even 0-255) instead of limiting us to 10% increments.
1 Like

Very much agree with this suggestion. In keeping backwards compatibility, it could be changed such that 100-200 represent 0% - 100%, while retaining the 0 - 10 as is.

Great idea, but it may not be as simple as it sounds. The colors come from a combination rgb, and at least one of them, green I think, has problems displaying at low levels. So I’m thinking that when it does illuminate, it’s brighter than it should be, causing the lack of linearality (if that’s a word) that you described. Not sure if this is a firmware or driver issue or a hardware limitation.

See this thread for more details:

I’ve noticed that the selection of “orange” looks more like yellow and also selecting yellow looks more like greenish-yellow (due to the brighter green led that you mention. However that is a different issue having to do with color hue, not overall intensity.

In my case, I chose white and while its not a pure white, I’m fine with the hue. The problem here is that the intensity difference between 10% and 20% is about the same difference as between 20% and 100%. Its just too big of a jump between 10-20 and then about the same from 20-100, which means that for all practical purposes there are only 3 settings (off, dim, bright). The internal values need to translate into something more logarithmic than linear. It doesn’t have to be complicated. The cpu deesn’t have to calculate logarithms, they can be hard-coded from a table. (there are many RGB log/gamma tables published and easily found on the internet)

Do you mind if I change the title to LED Switch Bar? I was so confused that I thought somehow the Lightstrips shipped early (I’m out of office so I thought maybe @Courtney_Inovelli was trying to surprise me).

Anyway, yes we can take a look here.

@EricM_Inovelli - what do you think?

@Brianna_Inovelli - do you have that list we created on recommended color values that was excruciatingly painful to create lol?

Sure, go for it! To be honest it throws me off sometimes too :smiley:

Wow, you ask, lol?

Thought I’d be polite and not labeled a dictator lol

3 Likes
Color Dimmer On/Off
Red 0 0
Default Blue 241 240
Cyan 220 220
Aqua 195 195
Purple 255 258
Pink 320 324
Green 120 120
Neon Yelow 60 62
Yellow 40 40
Orange 8 8
White 360 360

Is this what you’re talking about? :slight_smile:

Yes :slight_smile:

1 Like

Again, my request is regarding the Intensity, not the Hue. I understand “orange” does not look orange without tweaking the color value. That is not what I’m asking about here.

My issue is that the “intensity” (parameters 14 and 15) setting between 10-20 is a huge change in visible intensity with no setting between (i.e. 15 is not allowed), but setting between 20-30 is a very small visible change. If we’re limited to 10 fixed increments (10,20,30,etc.) they should be more linear in their visible increment. The difference between 10-20 should be similar to the difference between 20-30 but currently there is a huge difference between 10-20 compared with the other increments

Yeah, I know – I was just trying to address this portion of your request, sorry for the confusion.

Yeah, it would be nice to have a smaller increase in brightness between 10 and 20%. I actually asked for this around the time of release, but the hardware team said it was not possible. I don’t remember why but I do remember that I asked for it.

Thanks for the confirmation. If its not possible to fix the 10-20 jump in brightness, would it be possible to allow single increments from 1-100 (or 0-99) instead of fixed jumps at 10,20,30,40,etc?

That is definitely something I can ask about. Thanks for the recommendation.

2 Likes