Light Strip Pricing Poll

Unless I’m thinking incorrectly about this potential product, I would likely use it for under cabinet lighting. that being said, i would also be happy with a tuneable white option,

So I am about to start building a custom built-in and have an immediate need for these lol. The pixel addressing was always something I wanted to play with, but never really found the “right” project. I now do…100%. Sooooooo…any chance to get a beta version of the product to mess with @Eric_Inovelli

Yeah, I would jump all over the BR30’s tomorrow. My new house has a couple of situations that seem to be designed for just such a device. like a light over the kitchen island with the switch under the sink?! And the kitchen/family off the master bedroom and I go to work at 0530 … I’m thinking red light in the morning or when I get home late so I don’t wake the wife.

i think Chris nailed it!

I do want an LED strip but would love to pick my strip and pickup a controller from Inovelli. Let you do what you do best, but freedom to match it with LEDs that work best for us (weatherproof, addressable, etc etc)

I also like the flexibility to pick my own LED strip. I’m just now stumbling across this thread, but I recently purchased LED strips from FlexFire and a Z-Wave controller from RGBGenie.

The 1 foot segments with pins to connect strips is a nice touch.

I like to pay for higher end strips since I often use them to make Artifical sunlight windows. Having a controller that can control 3-5 sets of strips would be amazing rather than having 3 wifi controllers controlling 3 strips.

The pricing is awfully close to what Phillips wants for their Hue strip, which is pretty well regarded and they’re a well-known, “premium” brand.

I’m concerned that all the “special effects”, while cute, are well, just cute. Something to play with. Maybe use around Christmas time. But, mostly not that useful (outside of really special situations). More like the $25 toy I might get at an “after Christmas clearance sale”.

Now, that doesn’t mean that they aren’t “worth it” for what they can do–but I’d need a much more compelling reason to buy them than just gimmicky light shows. So, if the “individually addressable LEDs” feature allowed some truly useful and innovative use-case (in a broader sense), I might jump at it.

IOW, to justify that price, I’d recommend some research on how the product could fill a non-gimmicky niche that nothing else does.

I did get one Hue Strip to replace some cheesier lighting I had around my fireplace. I’m pretty happy with it–but it is pretty much only used to light that area up with varying shades and temperatures of whiteish light. I’m generally thinking that most places where I’d put something like that would lend themselves to ultimately being used for very limited colors–and static lighting.

My thinking exactly. The only place I want my LEDs to ever chase each other is outdoor holiday lighting. Individual LED effects are just not that useful for indoor lighting IMHO.

1 Like

As an example, someone is selling LED lights to mount behind a TV-and the lights map to the colors shown on the TV. That is a more compelling/unique use case for the individually addressable LEDs.

It’s not really one I’m that interested in, as I think that would be more distracting than useful–I have a great OLED panel and it does fine all by itself. :slight_smile:

But, that’s the type of “find a good use case” thinking that I’m talking about. :slight_smile:

Okay that’s fair. But this couldn’t do that- you’d need something that processes the video feed to the TV, uses that to decide on the colors for the border lights, and then controls the lights directly. You’d want a low latency connection for that- probably LED strip wired directly into the video processor gadget, definitely not Z-Wave.

Put more clearly- anywhere I’d want LEDs individually addressed, I’d want something smarter than a Z-Wave device controlling them most likely.
But as mentioned in my earlier post, the one possible exception might be if I have a long strip and want to divide it into zones with their own controls. IE put a strip around the outside of the bed, and be able to individually control my side vs partner’s side. I’d have to say like ‘LEDs 0-64 are zone one, 65-128 are zone two’ in the controller settings. That has value because it means I can use one strip and one controller rather than two.

1 Like

I’d like to see a standalone controller. I’d like to see simpler two or three wire controllers that only do ccw or just dimmable strips?

We’ll definitely do this, I promise :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just wanted to post up that I am going BIG for this holiday season on outdoor LED lighting.

Going with a 12V setup (for distance) on roofline using ESP32 chip to drive installed with WLED software. Powering using a 12V30A supply. Going with various accent solutions for wreath, icicles, etc. Very exciting.

Wish there was a z-wave 12V (or even 5V that I could MOSFET up to 12V) controller on the market, but alas here we are. The ESP32 chipset is like $5/unit, so I guess I’ll have to stick to wifi for now.

Pictures or it didn’t happen, lol.

FWIW, this guy has a bunch of outdoor LED supplier references in his videos. He has a number of videos on holiday LEDs.

1 Like

Yeah I definitely am following a LOT of his guidence. Dr ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

Thanks for the recommendation though.

I know some may find special effects gimmicky, I find them super helpful in my house. I’m able to set them up to help the kids do what they need to do, while feeling independent. For example one of my kids job is to get the mail. I’m able to set the light strips to change colors and flash when mail box opens so he has a cue to get it. I get that might not be for everyone, but for my kid that has executive functioning issues it’s great.

2 Likes

I was confused on this product, what is the maximum length it can be extended to? I have a requirement to go 30’.

I think I see the maximum is 16’

16’ is the published maximum.

30’ is a long LED run. There are two things that factor in, the length of the run and the number of LEDs.

The more LEDs in the run, the higher the current draw. Additionally, as the run lengthens, so does the voltage drop, which effects LED performance.

The Inovelli LED strip uses a 2A wall wart power supply and I believe the controller caps the current draw short of that. I’m guessing that the 16’ length was determined to be the maximum length taking these two factors into account to insure the LEDs function properly at that length.

When you have a longer LED run, you not only need a larger power supply but you need to inject voltage at the other end of the strip or at points in the run depending on the voltage drop. As of now, Inovelli does not have a larger power supply or power injection solution.

Do you know if the 4’ extension cord (Smart LED Strip Extension Cord) would be considered as part of the 16 feet? In other words if I have 16’ of LEDs, can I add a 4’ extension cord or even two of them for 8’?

I don’t know specifically related to the Inovelli. I am guessing they just spec’d it for 16’ of LEDs and left it at that.

But here is how this works. Adding 4’ of extension adds some copper (and thus resistance) to the circuit. So there will be some additional voltage drop for the last part of the strip and the current draw will be higher. When the controller limits the draw, the illumination of the LEDs will be throttled back. My WAG is that colored animations will be fine but the whites and solid colors will have the brightness throttled back.

The other issue may be that if the voltage drops too much at the end of the run, the LEDs may not present the proper colors, but you won’t know how that will work out until you try it.

@nappyjim has a run under his kitchen cabinets with an extension. I don’t think it’s 16’ of LEDs but maybe he can comment here.