LZW30-SN Lots of Energy Reports with Smart bulbs

I am noticing my switches can be very noisy. Sending tons of Zwave Events.

The biggest offender seems to be switches that are behind smart bulbs with their relay off.

When the bulbs are on and consuming decent wattage everything is fine.
However when the bulbs are off, the smart bulbs constantly consume a varying degree of power
0.9W -> 2W -> 0.9W -> 1.3W -> 2W etc

The issue is at this small scale even the small jumps of a single watt are enough to exceed 100% of the previous active value.

I currently have Active Power Alerts at 75 which does help some, but not enough. 0 Does not seem to disable reporting as the description would suggest.

If anyone has been able to find a good way to configure these switches to not be so noisy when providing power to alot of smart bulbs. Let me know.

Hi @SirDeadlystrike, thanks for bringing this up. This is an issue that we have fixed in recent firmware releases. There is a ‘safe guard’ timer to prevent this exact issue. We have also fixed the fact that the ‘0’ setting does not seem to stop the reports from being sent.

I usually tell people to increase the threshold like you have done as a workaround. When you set it 75 how many reports are you getting? What if you set it to something higher?

The Switches came with 1.09 upgrading to 1.17

Will report back once everything is done and running again

A Suggestion: Changelog/version history on the firmware.

I could only find the latest firmware for each product which is mostly also tagged with (beta)

Seeing a version history and what changed in each version would be nice so we can see if our problem has been fixed in a previous build
@EricM_Inovelli

So the KB has release notes with all the fixes and enhancements listed. Are you meaning a changelog that shows previous fixes?

Like maybe each upgrade in the KB will list all the previous changelogs as well?

1 Like

If you could please have one page per device with the firmware history that would be great! The current one page per firmware version makes my head explode…

I’d suggest having a look at how the other popular z-wave switch presents their firmware revisions. No need to reinvent the wheel here :wink:

2 Likes

Yea, TBH I could not find anything but the most recent 2 builds of firmware for any device.

A changelog Like

0.21 [Link to Firmware]

• Item Added
  • Item Fixed

0.19 [Link to Firmware]

• Item Added
  • Item Fixed

0.17 [Link to Firmware]

• Item Added
  • Item Fixed

0.16 [Link to Firmware]

• Item Added
  • Item Fixed

this way users can easily see if the issue they are about to report was already fixed instead of just seeing what changed with the most recent firmware build.

@EricM_Inovelli

2 Likes

1 Like

Alright, I’ve started doing this on the Dimmer and will do it on other devices as well. I just need to add the links to older versions.

I think I will do a “latest” page that has all the release notes and I’ll link all the old KB articles to this page so there aren’t broken links.