LZW30-SN reset firmware

tried the @bcopeland firmware updater again.
not much different than last time.

• irmwareUpdateProgress : Device Accepted Request… Starting upload…
  • firmwareUploadPercent : 0%

I’ve excluded/included the switches, to no benefit
I’ve factory reset the switches to no benefit
I’m at a dead end for what I can do to get these switches upgraded.

Use a Z-WAVE USB stick and a laptop. Initially when I started upgrading all my switches (27 of them), it was a hit or miss. Sometimes it took 10-15 minutes to upgrade via PC Controller. Now, I move about 2 ft from the switch using a laptop and press the “Get” several times until all the fields populate (almost wakes the device I assume) before trying to upload an .otz file. I haven’t used the updater tool because my Hub is in the basement and it would take forever to get through all the switches.

@harjms - what zwave updater tool did you use? I have a USB zwave stick and the homeseer tool installed. I’ll give that a whack later this morning. I had been hesitant because I didn’t want to exclude/include and have to rebuild all the rules that I had created in hubitat, but I’ve already started down that street

1 Like

@mrvjtod - I use the PC Controller 5.39 to upgrade. One difference that I don’t do vs. the How To: that @bry linked is I don’t exclude and include into the PC Controller. I added the Z Wave Stick to my Hubitat network as another controller (basically stood 5 ft away, started inclusion on Hubitat then on the PC Controller). Once my stick was included, I could see all the nodes listed. I began the hex ID to decimal to look for the switch I was upgrade. Then I started the “Get” and Firmware upgrade". Not sure how well it works for other Hubs/software though (e.g. SmartThings, Homeseer, etc…), but it works great on Hubitat.

1 Like

I’ve got PC Controller installed and I’m able to see my devices. Getting myself a refresher in converting from hex to decimal in my head. Kinda wish PC controller had a wider firmware view to show version numbers, but it looks like I will be able to update firmware without Exclude/Patch/Include.

The PC Controller article looks like it was written for the older devices or maybe for older hub software. Attaching my laptop to the hub and updating attached devices is certainly preferable to ripping everything apart to get a patch in.

Hoping to get some firmwares pushed out this weekend.

@mrvjtod - Check out https://kb.iu.edu/d/afdl for a easy conversion for hex to decimal. It helped me a ton.

It’s pretty easy once you get the hang of it. The longest part is the flashing process.

Success!
I added my zstick to my hubitat network and I was able to see all of my devices, but similar to using the plugin, I was unable to patch any of my switches.

I first tried to use Z-Flash from homeseer, but this tool wouldn’t show any of the unpatched inovelli switches because they were non-responsive.

I switched to PC Controller and I was able to see all of my devices, but nothing would patch. The patch kept getting hung trying to upload the new firmware to the switch.

I finally had success when I removed my Z Stick from my hubitat network, and “per the article” I just ran in standalone mode. I excluded each switch from my hubitat, I included the switch to my Z Stick, I patched the switch, excluded the switch from my zstick, and then included the switch back to my hubitat network. I have yet to fix all of my automation rules, but all ten of my LZW30-SN switches are now on 1.19.

For future patches, I hope I can just use the Firmware Updater plugin or the zstick while attached to my zwave network.