LZW31 3-way wiring issue

@djmart177 I’m really hoping I can basically turn the dumb switch into a signaling device rather than turning the circuit on and off. The load would be at the dimmer.

The Aux and the Inovelli communicate with each other so that you can have the load on either switch.

I’m not exactly sure what you mean by “all done via the programming of the hub”. If you are referring to setting the Inovelli switch’s parameters, then yes you can set them via the hub but you can also set them at the switch without the use of a hub.

It might be best to start a new thread and explain what you are trying to accomplish.

A dumb switch does not turn a circuit on and off. It routes a connection to its common terminal to one of the two traveler terminals. So in a convention 3-way wiring schema, one of the two traveler conductors will be hot.

Ah I meant that they sell “add-on” switches that are just switches that only send a command to the hub, and aren’t actually connected to a load. That’s probably not what you’re talking about.

I guess I will just put the Ino in box 1 :pensive: oh well.

Thank you so much for your help Bry, and others!

It’s not, but I think you might be able to pull that off presuming that you have a constant hot in Box 2. Since your Load is in Box 2, wire the Inovelli dimmer as a 2-way in Box 2. Then wire an Inovelli switch with no load connected in Box 1, just using a hot and a neutral.

You can then use the switch in Box 1 to on/off the dimmer via a couple different ways such as a scene or direct association. With limitations, two Inovelli’s can be wired together (in your case using the 3-wire). I’m not sure though if this pertains to different types i.e. a switch and a dimmer.

That is essentially what the Aux does. You could think of an Aux switch as a remote control of the main switch’s paddle.