Max load for 2nd gen switch

What is the max load for the 2nd gen switches? I’m thinking about using one for a ceiling fan (just on/off no speed control).

not sure of the answer on this, but Inovelli does also have a fan switch coming out by the end of the year (i believe).

Hey @platup – great question!

Specifications for Model # LZW30 & LZW30-SN:

• Power: 120V AC, 60Hz, Signal (Frequency): 908.42 MHz, Operating Temperature Range: 32-104° F (0-40° C)
  • Maximum Load: 600W Incandescent or 300W LED or 150W CFL
  • Range: Up to 100 meters line of sight between the Wireless Controller (HUB) and the closest Z-Wave Module
  • For indoor use. Specifications subject to change without notice due to continuing product improvement.
  • Approval: UL Listed / FCC / IC / Z-Wave Plus Certified
  • CAN ICES-3 (B)/NMB-3(B)

As @neminat mentioned, we will be coming out with a fan/light switch in early-mid January and a dedicated fan switch likely in May.

The on/off switches that are in market now aren’t designed for fans (even on/off) in that some fans have a ramp up to turn on and that messes with the switch as it doesn’t expect it. It may work on some fans, but we don’t recommend it :confused:

Just found this. I’ve ordered a couple of the On/Off (Advanced) switches (thanks for the amazon flash sale) – they should be delivered today.

I was planning on installing them to control:

• Panasonic bath exhaust fans FV-0511VK2
  • Monte Carlo ceiling fan with DC fan motor

Both of those say not to use a regular fan speed switch. Should I install the On/Off switch?

When you say “messes with the switch” what does that mean? Will it damage the switch or load?

I put one of the Panasonic bath exhaust fans on a GE/Jasco Z-wave on/off switch and haven’t noticed any issues using it as a regular switch. It sounds like there is a relay/solenoid in the GE/Jasco switch making/breaking the contact.

The Monte Carlo fan with a DC motor is currently being successfully controlled by a regular single pole switch and is working fine. The fan has a 2.4 Ghz RF controller that successfully remembers last state. I’m fine with only being able to turn the fan On or Off via automation and having to use the remote for changing speeds or directions.

The power monitoring of the advanced On/Off switch would be really nice to have.

The loads for both of these are pretty low .5 - 1 amp.

Thanks for your help.

EDIT - Just saw Switch for a bathroom fan? in another thread that seems to indicate if the load is < 400W inductive, that a bath fan should “work”, which was an answer from today/yesterday, vs.the @Eric_Inovelli post from above which is currently a week old.

The other thread doesn’t specify the 2nd gen switch, but I’m hoping it applies to that.

These specs are for the On/Off switch or the Dimmer switch? I’m used to specs like this for a dimmer but not usually for an On/Off.

Thanks.