Poll: Freezer Sensor Price

While I voted for the lowest price option, if there was a choice for “not at all interested” I would have picked that before hearing about the inability to replace the battery. That disinterest was further solidified upon learning that the product is not serviceable.

3 Likes

The only benefit I see is that it is not locked into a specific expensive hub like the Aqara. Non-replaceable battery (albeit long life) and a relatively high price is a non-starter for me.

It’s an interesting idea. But I think it’s also NOT a mass market idea- for the mass market this is a ‘nice to have’, but for a certain (small) niche market it’s essential.

I’m the mass market here. If my fridge/freezer fails, it’s not the end of the world- I’ll be far more worried about the cost of a new fridge than the cost of the stuff in it. For me I’d pay $25-$30, maybe $40 at the absolute most, because I don’t really need this. It’s a ‘nice to have’ thing whose main use would be to annoy my girlfriend when she leaves the fridge door open :stuck_out_tongue:

OTOH, if I had a tub freezer the situation changes. With a tub freezer, I don’t have dozens of dollars of food to lose, I have hundreds or thousands or dollars, or if I’m a hunter, the prospect of the animal I killed going to waste. For such a person, this isn’t a ‘nice to have’ it’s a ‘need to have’. If I had a tub freezer full of food, I’d absolutely want a text and email and whatever else if my freezer was failing, and my question would not be ‘do I need this’ but rather ‘which is the best one for me to get’.

What makes you think the Aqara Zigbee devices are locked into a hub?? I have about a dozen Aqara devices talking to a Conbee2 zigbee USB stick on my Homeseer platform. Aqara devices are fully Zigbee 3.0 compliant.

Because that is what their website says they support. I use Hubitat and I have seen no support there and for one or two sensors I’m not ready write a new driver.

This is almost what I want… I want to measure the water temperature in my kegerator (refrigerator not freezer). If it was fully waterproof or had a waterproof/submersible temp sensor that I could put in a cup of water, I would be in. Also the lack of replaceable battery and lack of Z-Wave make it less likely I’ll purchase one.

I could understand that, but the reality is that almost all of Aqara sensors and devices are Zigbee 3.0 compliant and can be used with controllers that support Zigbee.

My original point still stands, Inovelli could spend it’s time/money/resources doing more profitable things than trying to recreate a product that already exists and that they’ll never be able to beat the price-point. Like getting the Red Series Dimmers to function (the elusive firmware change we’ve all been waiting on) the way we want them (ie, fixing smart bulb mode).

Agreed

Hi Arcadian,

There is a community driver by Markus Liljergren (oh-la Labs), which supports the Aqara Temp and Humidity sensor. I use one of these sensors, and the driver supports temp, humidity, and pressure. He has other drivers for other Aqara products too.

It is available in Hubitat Pacakge Manager.

30-45$ would be ideal. Understanding you have to make profits to stay in business to keep making great products. I would prob stay clear of the $50+ if possible. This is something I would be interested in testing if need be. I would Pay for it as well.

As a parent who recently had a freezer full of breast milk, I would definitely have purchased this (and still would). $40, maybe $50 seems pretty reasonable if it just works. No repeater, no QC issues, no interference with other 2.4 ghz products.

I think this is a great idea! I mean how many times have the freezer died and you didn’t realize it in time? That said it’s such a limited situation I find it hard to justify too high a cost. The real deciding factor would come down to size of device, since freezer space is prime real estate.

The two downsides are the non replaceable battery and Zigbee. That being said, if it was cheap enough it would be worth it to add Zigbee to my environment to fill my need.

1 Like

If it’s good enough for Kroger, it’s good enough for me!

What about a 700 series chip with Zwave LR.

Hubitat is slated to support that in 2.2.6.

That can have miles of range apparently!!

I def want a replaceable battery, though.

2 Likes

I would want this in my Fridge as well…

I already have one there, works great.

Inovelli would be wasting its time trying to compete at this price point (<$15).

3 Likes