Possible to default first dimmer press to 50%, second press to 100%?

I just completed replacing 20 insteon dimmers with Inovelli red series gen 2 dimmers… Loving them mostly… Now I’m starting to set up the various scenes and programming…

I’m hoping to be able to program my bathroom dimmers how I had my insteons… I’m not sure if it’s possible and figured I would ask the community…

the use case –

You stumble into the bathroom super early and try to avoid waking the wife… you know where the switch is because of the sweet led light on my dimmer switch… you hit the toggle and the dimmer ramps to full intensity blinding you… ARGH!.. “dim the lights!” grumbles the wife…

In Insteon world, I could fix this by setting the first press to set the dimmer to a programmed intensity – say 40%… A second press would ramp the dimmer up to a 100%… It was a good compromise…

Is there a way to do this in Zwave, Inovelli world?

You could set the default Start Level (config parameters 9 or 10) to whatever start level you want. That way, if the light is off, it will always turn on to your defined level.

Then you could set up a scene to trigger on a double-tap of the on button. Your hub would then trigger an automation based on this scene to set the lights to 100%

This is assuming your hub supports Central Scenes though.

1 Like

Depending on your hub, you might be able to set times when the light only goes to 40% say between 11:00 pm and 8:00 am and then turn on to the last setting outside that time frame.

As @jtronicus stated, creating a scene for 100% with a double-tap should be easy, if your hub supports it.

With hubitat, I use modes so that I can set the default brightness (of a single tap) dependant on the mode (time of day) and use double taps (button controller) for setting max brightness.

Couldn’t you just do this with a conditional rule with whatever rule engine your hub is running. In Hubitat the trigger could be the Button Device for Single Up “Changes”… The Condition would look for if light is on @ 50% and button up pressed then Set level to 100%, else set level to 50%

Not at home to test this but think this is possible, but really not without some automation in the hub, and that is dependent on what hub the OP has…

Thanks for the replies… I have some more places to do research…

Good points on being hub specific… Duh… :-). Not sure why I thought it would be device specific.

I’m currently using SmartThings. I’m starting to wonder if I should have used hubitat… I choose Smartthings because it seemed the community was stronger. I will look into this…

I can only imagine how fun it will be to reprogram my 30 devices to a new hub… :grimacing:

Hi @shaneG, you don’t have to replace your hub for this. You can easily accomplish this using modes or scenes using the SmartThings Hub. Set it up so that between a certain times it only goes to 40% and outside those times it goes to 100%.

2 Likes