Possible to use smart dimmer in this setup?

Wireless? :laughing:

2 Likes

Or arcing, maybe . . . :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Tesla had wireless AC down…

1 Like

Unless I’m missing something the left box only needs 3 conductors and a dumb switch (no need for a powered aux). If the Inovelli is in the right box then a dumb switch can go in the left box and therefore doesn’t need a constant hot in the left box. The constant hot is going to the right box where the Inovelli smart dimmer can go with a dumb switch in the left box

yankfade

You got it figured out despite the conflicting info, OK, here is how I would wire it, starting from the drawings and explanation already posted.

In the left box:

• Connect the black/hot power wire to the “neutral” of the aux switch.
  • Also connect the red traveler wire to the black/hot power wire and “neutral” of the aux switch.
  • Connect the white traveler wire to the traveler terminal of the aux switch.

In the right box:

• connect the red wire to the Line of the dimmer switch.
  • connect the white wire to the traveler terminal of the dimmer switch.
  • connect the black wire to the load terminal of the dimmer switch.

Don’t use white as a constant hot unless you have to, then mark it as black with tape or paint.

You have to find the box where the power comes in on the black wire. That is the “left” box in the above wiring explanation. That box must have the aux switch.

You cannot use a dumb switch in a non-neutral configuration.

And besides, the wiring has a constant hot in the left box and the OP doesn’t want to open his light boxes to re-wire it.

Ah ha! That is the part I was missing :blush: Thanks :slight_smile:

You have to find the box where the power comes in on the black wire. That is the “left” box in the above wiring explanation. That box must have the aux switch.

@PJF isn’t that the right box in Bry’s diagram? The right box is the one with the direct black “line” wire.

I just looked back and yes, left is right and right is left. Aux goes where the power is and dimmer goes where it can switch the light wire.

2 Likes

So, I finally got around to this and the wiring above worked like a charm. Thanks again @Bry!

You’re welcome! Glad you got it going!