Red Series Notification Priority

Hey All,

Not sure if this is would fall under firmware or device hander update, but I’m looking for a way to set priorities to the 5 child notifications. I would like to set notification #1 to highest priority and #5 to lowest priority so that when my Hubitat system is armed and notification #1 turns on a red chase effect, if I turn something on that uses notification #2, I would like to see notification #2 happen and then have notification #1 take back over. I’m not sure how this would work with default “ON” notification (would like to be able to override this notification with my highest priority notification). I feel like this might help with the persistent notification problem. Let me know your thoughts…

@Trhazel - I think this would be handled by rule machine, but to be honest, I’m not that fluent in rule machine. I believe you would generate a if -> then -> else statement, but not sure how to revert it back to rerun the rule…Perhaps @EricM_Inovelli would have a better idea?

I’m not a HE user so I’m not familiar with the RM, but you can use webCore, right? I’m a webCore user, but you may be able to mimic in RM.

I haven’t done this but this would be my approach:

Basically, you have to trap and store (probably in a variable) the notification you want to revert to. Wait for the primary action, set the notification and store it for reverting to later.

Then you watch for the remaining actions and set the notifications accordingly. You then specify a WAIT for how long you want the “interim” notification to be displayed and then turn the primary notification back on.

You will have to somehow track whether or not the primary notification should reverted to. Maybe either another variable or kill the value in the first one, not sure.

Hope this helps, lol.

@Bry - Possible. I’m a basic user honestly with RM and it all may be limited to the device firmware too since the notifications don’t stay when switch is triggered. However, if firmware was updated with the Beta, it might be doable. Unfortunately, I’m just not that good at programming; thus rule machine for me :stuck_out_tongue:.

@Trhazel this can absolutely be accomplished with rule machine, I just finished setting mine up for something similar. Keep in mind I’ve already flashed all my switches over to the Beta firmware to solve the persistent notification issue, so my current logic does not handle returning the notification led after a button press but you could add that logic (it will however make the rule more complicated than it already is or will need to a be a separate rule). The way I tackled this would first be to figure out the “level” for each of the 5 notifications. I created groups for each notification level, and inserted that child switch into the group for easy handling on all 24 switches. Then I mapped out the highest priority being on top, and the “default” state on the bottom. Then you will need to create a conditional statement, for each notification, with the first being an “IF” statement, and then “ELSE IF” statements, and finally an “ELSE” statement. Here is a screen shot of the conditional portion of my rules

So this handles 4 notifications. The top level being “Alert Notification”, this signifies an intrusion, the first “Else If” handles the security system is armed state, and the next “Else If” handles something is currently open (garage, window, exterior door, etc), and finally if none of the conditions are met, it hits the ELSE statement and the notification is green for “All Clear”. My fifth notification falls outside this rule, in a separate rule that if the security cameras capture motion they turn the notification bar to blinking violet for 45 seconds, then the notification bar falls back to whatever level notification it needs to based on the first rule. . Rule machine is kind of clunky but once you get the hang of it you can write some awesome stuff. Let me know if I can help in any way.

1 Like

Ok, I see your logic here. My setup is similar for “Alert Group” and “Armed Group”, the thing that throws me off is I use my #1 notification on 4 different switches to tell me if a light/group of lights are on. My kitchen has all smart can lights so I have the internal relay disabled so I can’t use the default led on/off/level notification. So I have a rule that turns on notification #1 if any lights in that group are on and back off when they’re off.

What I really want is for my “Alert Group” and “Armed Group” to override any other notification currently on the switch, and it would be nice if when that notification group turned off and my lower level notifications were still on that those lower level notifications would come back… Am I asking too much lol??

i.e. I run my bedtime routine which arms the house and gives me an armed notification on all switches, but it also turns on my bedroom lamps which use notification #1 so sometimes that notification kicks out my armed notification. Let me know if some of this isn’t clear, I appreciate your perspective on this. Thanks for the assist

@Trhazel - I do something similar in my home with the internal relay disabled. I am sure there are smart people on here with much better ways of doing this but here is what I do…

1. Default notifications for smart bulbs that are hard wired (always on)
Using the “Switch Bindings” app in Hubitat, I create a binding between the smart light and the the wall switch so that if/when the light is turned on or off, the switch is synced and triggers the corresponding action from the default visual notification on the switch. This way they are always in sync whether I turn the light on from Hubitat or the physical wall switch. You just need to make sure it’s not setup as a 2 way binding otherwise when a new notification pops up on the switch it will turn off the fan/light. It needs to be a one-way binding with the smart light/fan as the master.

2. Managing Multiple Switch Notifications using Scenes
Using the “Groups and Scenes” app, I created a handful of notification scenes. I named one scene “Alarm Scene Notifications Armed” which tells all the switches to turn on the red notifications on all the Inovelli switches throughout the house. “Alarm Scene Notifications Disarmed” tells all the switches to turn off the red notifications on all the Innovelli switches throughout the house. (This way, if I need to add or remove a single switch I can just do it here and not have to mess with updating dozens of rules). I also do this with external doors via a group instead of scenes but it’s basically the same thing. Whenever the garage door, attic door, or outdoor gate is open all the switches in my home pulse purple until they are all closed.

3. Keeping Alarm Top Priority Notification
In order to make sure a simple on/off does not over-ride my alarm notification I added a small conditional action to each button press. In the example image I attached to this post you’ll see that when the light switch is double pressed up (button 2 pushed) I first tell the switch to set the fan to high (so that it happens as fast as possible). The switch binding from step 1 above will automatically light up the “fan” notification on my switch and then I put in a simple conditional action with a 5 second delay that says if the HSM (alarm) is ARMED then set the notification on this switch to red (no need to bother with the entire group/scene as this single switch is the only outlier). Also, you obviously do not NEED to include the 5 second delay but I like having the visual confirmation that the light/fan is on for a few seconds knowing the red alarm will take back over as primary if the alarm is on but you could just have this happen instantly).

What it looks like:

• Imagine the light and fan are off and HSM (my alarm) is disarmed. This means the LED on the wall switch will be completely off.
  • Then I arm HSM (alarm) which automatically turns on my scene “Alarm Scene Notifications Armed”.
  • This turns the notification bars on all the Inovelli switches in my home to solid red (indefinitely).
  • Now the switch in the room (along with the others) will be solid red.
  • Next, my son (Holden) walks in the room and turns on his light by pressing the switches up button.
  • The light turns on and the switch binding (from step 1 above) changes the current red notification to a solid blue.
  • The switch stays blue for 5 seconds, then Hubitat checks to see if HSM (alarm) is armed, which it still is, so it will change the notification on this switch back to red.
  • When his light is turned off I don’t need to add this logic as it has no impact on the notification bar.
  • When HSM (alarm) is disarmed I run notification “Alarm Scene Notifications Disarmed” (from step 2 above) and it turns the red light off around the entire home.

This option works as long as there is only 1 notification you want to override. If you want to handle prioritizing multiple priority levels of notifications you’d have to introduce more complex logic on each button press or start passing variables.

Technically you only really asked about what was discussed in Step 3 above but believe Steps 1 & 2 help solve the smart switch/smart bulb problem you hinted at as well as help with the management of logic in the future if you need to add/remove more inovelli switches for different whole-home notifications.

1 Like