RGBW Bulb (Project Genesis)

Ok…this is bad. I just placed an order for another 11 of the iLumin Bulbs…that brings me to 43 in total. The crazy part is I just ordered 3 new (old) Fan Light Kits so I can put these in my ceiling fans. Funny how everything is small bulb form factor and LED now. Thank goodness for eBay. I found kits from a few years ago that people still have online so I can put A19 bulbs in there! With the number of bulbs I have purchased, I am hoping for few things: 1) These bulbs last a long time. 2) I have put a dent in your Holiday Pack and Unboxed inventory of switches and lights. 3) Everyone is safe and healthy in these uncertain times. Thanks for helping me achieve my RGBWW dreams.

-Travis

2 Likes

Is there any chance that we’ll see last-state restore coming to the bulbs currently being sold? I bought 5 of them just to play with. No complaints initially. Controlling them from a switch via association groups. All was fine until the power decided to briefly go out at 3am one morning and when it came back I was awaken by all the bulbs turning on.

hi, did you install the device handler? that’s what makes it possible to set it to remember their last state.

Thanks. I must’ve somehow installed an old version of it, as it was missing that config. I followed instructions somewhere on this site, so they must’ve pointed to an out-of-date device handler or something. Anyways, I managed to track down the new one, and it appears to be working now.

great!! same happened to me when I got my first bulbs and Eric helped out with that! glad you could sort it out! :muscle::muscle::muscle:

Hey sorry about the confusion guys – can you point me to the spot on the site that has the old driver? I’d like to get it fixed so that it doesn’t happen in the future :slight_smile:

Hmm, I honestly couldn’t tell you where I found the out-of-date handler, as I’m not able to find the link to it now. Perhaps it has already been fixed, or maybe when I originally installed it, I did it via a Google search or something – regardless, I’m not able to find it now.

No worries, thanks for following up!

A request for the next bulb firmware- can we get adjustable ramp time? Right now the ramp time is really slow…

1 Like

i placed an order for 20 more bringing my total to about 37 lol , i Too am hoping for better stability and some effects in the future … i got the basics of rule machine down but for ( complex effects) I still need more practice :laughing:

1 Like

I Have about 7 modern ceiling fans at home that come with a led light which is flat like a pancake i have removed the led piece and modified it to be able to use regular bulbs lol

1 Like

Just thought of another feature- disable repeater. If the smart bulb will be in a switched socket, IE if it’s on the same circuit as some dumb bulbs, then acting as a repeater is undesirable because the network will try to route through it and then it will disappear leaving broken routes.

So there should be a config option for like ‘switched bulb mode’- when enabled it reports itself as a non-repeating node (like a battery powered device). That will I think need an exclude/include to take effect…

(And I’d still love to get adjustable ramp time on the current RGBW bulb- lack of that is what prevents me from buying more right now…)

Since this thread got revived, it reminded me of a feature I was thinking about: controllable security while pairing. The bulb only supports S0, which is less efficient and less secure than S2 (and still less efficient/more chatty than non-secure pairing regardless), and while some hubs/controllers allow you to choose whether to pair securely (and the bulb will agree), it looks like new 700-series S2 controllers won’t allow you do that. Hubitat is the first I know of to market, but they’re saying it’s all the kit lets you do, so it will likely affect all certified Z-Wave implementations at some point.

How lots of other devices handle this: separate ways to get to inclusion mode for secure vs. non-secure pairing (on lots of sensors or switches, it may be holding a button instead of pressing it, or pressing it so many times instead of so many [other] times; I realize this is a bit more challenging for a light bulb, but maybe so many power cycles for secure vs. non-secure?). Or just use S2 (which I’d gladly use over S0 and would consider using even if non-secure pairing were also available), but I assume that would require a hardware upgrade, while this other idea might be do-able with firmware tweaks. :slight_smile:

I definitely have a RGBW bulb included to a C7 hub as S2. It erks me because I still need to get the ladder out to exclude/reinclude as S0 so my association works.

Weird, I can’t remember if I’ve tried on my C-7, but I was going by a report consistent with my assumption from a Hubitat user and the fact that the Z-Wave conformance doc lists only S0 and not S2. If it’s indeed already S2, then that’s great (and nevermind my “request”). :joy:

@BertABCD1234 - it only happened on 1 bulb out of 5. I thought it was weird, but that’s why my association wasn’t working all the way. Always happens in the tall overhead light. Never the floor lamp.

1 Like

I thought the bulbs did support S2? At least they are documented as supporting it here: https://support.inovelli.com/portal/en/kb/articles/products-leds-rgbw-a19-lzw42-spec-sheet

@Eric_Inovelli I think an update may be needed here :wink:

Z-Wave Alliance confirms it does not.

@Daweeze - :man_shrugging:

Maybe @bcopeland can give some insight? He has the bulbs too.