RGBW LED Lightstrip (Project Cribs)

Something to keep in mind here-

The RGB pixel can do a pretty decent white if you turn all 3 channels on and the blue down a bit to adjust color temp.

However the white LEDs are WAY brighter than the RGB pixel. An RGB pixel at 100% on all 3 channels is about as bright as either warm or cool white at about 35%. The white LEDs are REALLY bright.

I don’t consider this a flaw, but rather a flexibility- the white LEDs are good for useful illumination, the RGB is good for color washes, animations, notifications and tweaking the color temp of the white pixels.

Point is, while the white LEDs are used for some whole-strip effects, you probably wouldn’t want to use them in a pixel effect anyway as they’d over power the RGB.

I was referring to running a white pixel, with no RGB at that same point. So you have one white, the next one down the line is red, next one green, etc… Dimming the white so they are on a relative level.

I understand it is the way it is, and I still have plans for them. I just wanted to express my opinion that individually addressable lights typically are expected to EACH be individually addressable. Maybe I am too used to the SK6812 LED strips I have.

Easy. For that white pixel, on the RGB LED turn on red and green and blue all together so it creates white. Then it’s at the same brightness as the other colors.

Any updates on a ship date?

Unless the RGB LEDs are very precisely engineered it is unlikely to become a nice clean white color. RGB LEDs blend to make a somewhat white color, that is true and a feature I use often (for example on my pixel ring clocks). But it is never as nice of a white as having truly white LEDs integrated. Which is why it is nice that Inovelli planned for the white LEDs as part of the overall strip.

Yes, it should’ve arrived to the US today :slight_smile:

Flight #1 = NH8432 (Shanghai to Tokyo)
Flight #2 = NH8402 (Tokyo to Chicago)

It’s now awaiting customs clearance which @Courtney_Inovelli and team are working on now.

5 Likes

Great news! I’m justt dying to dig my proverbial teeth into these strips!

Any update on when the pre-orders will be shipping out?

As soon as we receive them at HQ, we’ll ship them out, I promise :slight_smile:

We’re still waiting on customs clearance.

2 Likes

Sounds good and thanks for the very speedy response!

external-content.duckduckgo-1

2 Likes

They are arriving to us tomorrow and we will start shipping them out!
Get ready to see some tracking numbers in your inbox!

5 Likes

if i were to purchase today wod i be included in that shipment o wouls i have to wait acouple of months ?

Exciting!

USPS? If you ship it late Wednesday, my package will probably arrive here in NY State on 1/11…exactly to the day as I predicted last month!!! :rofl:

1 Like

Yes, we would ship yours out with the others :slight_smile:

1 Like

lol! Maybe I’ll have to overnight yours just to make your prediction wrong! :wink:

1 Like

Exciting! Quick question on the programming of these - I’ve seen several people talk about them as though they’re infinitely customizable since they are individually addressable leds at the core. While that’s obviously true of the strips themselves, I’ve been reading the documentation and if I understand correctly, it sounds like the controller options (at least currently) are a bit more limited.

To take a concrete example: if I have my 5 one foot strips hooked up to the controller, is it possible to have the first strip display blue, then the second one display green, third blue, etc? IOW, a static display where three of the one-foot strips are blue, and the other two are green?

i dont see why not with custom scene… they are indivually adressable rgb… wich meas you can controll each light on its own. no hub on your end? i think that to take full advantage of them you will need one

Thanks adriang809. While I’ve got quite a lot of experience with leds, and controlling them with arduino, raspberry pi, xlights, etc, I am new to Inovelli and zwave, so it sound like my confusion is probably due to that. If I’m understanding you right, the way to do ‘advanced’ animations (i.e. not pre-programmed ones) is not to go through the controller at all, but to somehow create a custom scene that would allow me to address each led - is that correct? If I have that all right, how is the custom scene programmed?