SmartThings Edge Drivers: LZW30-SN, LZW30, LZW31-SN, LZW31, LZW36, LZW41, LZW42, LZW45, LZW60, VZM31-SN, VZM35-SN, VZW31-SN, VZM36, NZW30, NZW31

Let me check that out. There should be an “indefinite” option for sure that I might have left out.

1 Like

Any update on the notifications between the red series switch and dimmer? Thanks

I did a little bit of testing and saw the notification stop like you indicated. I haven’t had a chance to fix the issue though. I will try to do it ASAP.

EricM: any chance that your custom functionality can be incorporated into the existing generic SmartThingsEdge drivers?

It looks like custom preferences are already included:

1 Like

I can ask, but in the past ST has not wanted the advanced features of our devices to be in the default drivers. The nice thing about edge drivers though is that once they are installed they run locally and they get updated automatically.

1 Like

So that brings up an interesting point. In the past, the default driver didn’t have the advanced features (such as notifications, LED color, etc), but you gained those by adding a custom DH. But with Edge, if I’m understanding correctly, ultimately the ONLY driver will be the ST one that has been moved into the Production channel. Sooner or later, there won’t be beta drivers. So it seems to me that the advanced capabilities have to be in the ST driver. Or am I misunderstanding?

Hmmm, the edge drivers that SmartThings included in their beta channel were created by them. I feel like it was a proof of concept that they did because an engineer or two liked our products and personally had some in their possession. Those drivers can change the LED color and have a lot of the preferences available. I don’t believe they plan on working on those drivers any longer.

Inovelli has their own channel (referenced in this thread) that includes our production drivers which have just about every feature included in them.

These two sources will likely stay separate.

1 Like

Thanks. That makes sense. I wasn’t thinking the individual production channels would remain post-beta but if they do that would be the parallel to what we have today.

(I’m new to edge drivers, just began trying them less than a month ago)

question: once one installs the edge drivers provided by you, they’ll be updated at our end whenever you update them at your end?

IE: no need to install new drivers at our end when newer versions are published because they’ll update automatically, as opposed of what happened with device handlers?

1 Like

Yes, they will automatically update on your end. It will sometimes take a few hours, but they will update eventually.

1 Like

great! can’t wait til edge is officially launched!

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t see the select driver option going away, but it may be more along the Windows way of doing things? The ST Edge driver can manage basics of a lot of stuff, but if you want advanced features, use the manufacturer’s driver. Still leaps and bounds over having to set up DTHs though!

1 Like

I’ve added “Indefinitely” to the notification capability. Not sure how I missed that.

I’ve also looked at the values that the programming is coming up with and they match what they should be from a notification calculator. So if some notifications are not lasting as long as they are supposed to I’m not sure what is up with that. I’m going to keep testing.

The “Indefinitely” option should show up by tomorrow I think. I actually am not sure on capabilities vs drivers, but I’m guessing it is the same.

2 Likes

I didn’t see the new option for “Indefinitely” so I re-submitted the driver update. It seems to be available for me now so hopefully it will show up for everyone else soon.

1 Like

Hi Eric, i added the “indefinitely” duration option to the automation and it appears to be working without any issues. Thanks

1 Like

Any luck with child device conversion to edge drivers? See [ST Edge] How to create child devices with edge? - #42 by nayelyz - Writing Edge Drivers - SmartThings Community

Hey @EricM_Inovelli i know you are just getting started on edge drivers. Do you have plans for the LZW36 fan and light switch? I currently have 4 and would love to have local control

@wajo357 What are you wanting to do with child devices? The current edge drivers have custom capabilities that allow you to do what you can do with child devices in the groovy drivers.

@awhenderson04 I will put it on my list to add support for the LZW36.

I have automations that enable and disable local control, remote control, and change led color.

With the new edge device, you should be able to do these things with a new automation by selecting the device itself (no child) then having the automation action be what you want. It’s all built into the one device now.