Speed of new switches and dimmers?

Is Liu Kang’s kicks 200ms or 300ms?

4 Likes

Nah, I get it – I think I may have had some bad chicken that day or something, I was a bit cranky and took things a little personally… apologies.

As @EricM_Inovelli stated, you still have scenes when you disable the delay (Button 1 - Pushed & Held, Button 7 - Config Button, and Button 8) – in total, I believe you will have 4 scenes at your disposal. In addition, Red Series provides you with Notifications (ie: Garage door is left open, light blinks Red, etc) as well as Energy Monitoring. So, you do have quite a bit of a difference still between Red & Black Series.

3 Likes

after using the Red series switches for a while now without the latest firmware I find it reasonable for the 700ms delay in place. but I won’t lie and say that it’s not noticeable. Clearly I don’t speak for everyone though.

How about a solution in the middle maybe? i think for the majority of users the delay is only a big issue upon “turning on” a switch and having a delay upon that happening, more so than when we’re turning off a switch. So with that said, would it possible to sacrifice 6 scenes for the sake of the “on” switch with zero delay, and maintain the option of a default 700ms for the “off” while keeping those 6 scenes associated with that part of the paddle, so instead of having essentially 1 scene, you’d at least still have 7 and remove the delay in the process.

1 Like

I will say I’ve come a long way since this thread started. I was in the, “it’s not a huge deal” camp, but now that I have the, “instant on”, I do notice it a bit. Still not a huge deal (to me), but I can see why it would bother some people. I think this solution may be reasonable, I’ll pass it onto the engineer. There’s a lot to talk about with this alternate firmware lol!

The clear answer is a parameter that sets the delay. Some people want 0 (off), some want lightning fast (100ms), fast (250ms), default (700ms), etc.

I find that 90% of my switches I have worked to the no delay option with the config button used as a third switch. I’d set them all to 250 or 500ms (or so) depending on some feedback in my home.

I agree totally.

Honestly, 700ms IS SLOW. No, I am not a Mortal Combat player. But I have been working with computer mice for decades and double-click mouse events are in the range of 250-500ms. 700ms is a really slow double click. MOST PEOPLE double-click in less than 500ms and much closer to 250ms. Again, 700ms IS SLOW. Other people have noted this is slow compared to other brand smart switches as well.

A settable delay would be nice. And if that is too hard to implement for whatever reason, just lowering it to something closer to what the rest of the world uses (250-500ms) doesn’t seem like asking too much and very easy to implement :thinking:

Ah, looks like we might be winning @Eric_Inovelli over… Slowly but surely, hehee! Now time to win @EricM_Inovelli over also!

Thanks for coming up with the idea but I don’t think any of us would like that… With your suggestion, only the down paddle (double tap down, triple tap down etc) would have scenes attached. That’d be very confusing and you’d likely find that many people turn a few stuff on with double tap up and turn the same stuff off with double tap down… It’s not really intuitive to turn stuff on with the down toggle.

The solution would really need to be a configurable delay. I feel like the interim solution is already available i.e. use the beta firmware with no delay and very few scenes

If making the delay configurable is too difficult, then hopefully they can settle on a shorter delay for both the tap and the hold (maybe 400ms)

1 Like

I’ve read through this entire thread, and am a little worried about ordering Red Dimmers. I am in the process of returning a household’s worth of Jasco/Honeywell dimmer switches because my wife was unsatisfied with the slow ramp up to on when hitting the switch. For some reason they changed the firmware to where you cannot change the ramp speed anymore. They do feature a switch mode that makes the light switch instant (well and truly instant), but you lose the ability to dim at the switch, and any scene change via double or triple click inexplicably ends with a switch on or off, so I can’t even make them into dimmers through automations.

Someone recommended Inovellis to me for the configurability, but it seems according to this thread like the same speed issue may exist in these switches? Some people over on the Home Assistant discord have let me know that these switches support instant on while still allowing dimming by holding the paddles - is that true? Is it “instant” but actually takes 700 ms, or is that when not in instant on mode? I understand (I think) based on this thread that switching a tap to instant on means you lose the ability to multitap the paddle for scene control. But if you do that, does the light come on actually instantly, or with a delay?

Follow-up: if I am in instant on mode and lose scene control at the paddle, is it possible then to use the config button for scene control? That would meet everything I could want from a switch, and would be amazing!

Tl; dr: Do the Red Dimmers meet my specifications:

1. Truly instant on on single paddle tap
  2. Dimming while holding the paddle
  3. Some kind of scene control?

Thanks so much!

1. Yes, you can disable the 700ms delay and change the ramp rate and dimming speed to configure them the way you are wanting.
  2. Yes, you still can dim from the paddle with the settings mentioned above.
  3. The configure button still sends a scene in this configuration.
1 Like

Absolutely excellent! It seems like a large shipment will be coming my way soon, then. Got my eye on those new scene control/dimmer switch combos too - once those are out I’ll definitely give a couple a whirl. The single scene control with the config button is probably enough, but having a couple dedicated scene switches will probably be easier to use. Thanks for the quick response!

1 Like

I’m on the fence of placing a huge whole-house order, and read through this whole thread.

I’m a firm +1 on the adjustable scene-waiting delay camp. You could go ahead and try your double click speed here, but I’m constantly hovering around 300ms, trying to be as natural as possible.

Let’s just say I’m placing the order largely as a vote of confidence based on the communication and transparency shown here!

2 Likes

We will try our best at the adjustable ms delay. The problem we’re facing is that there’s limited space on the switches and there’s only one firmware engineer at this time and he’s sprawled between multiple new projects.

We are definitely capturing all these suggestions and working towards a solution – amirite @EricM_Inovelli?!

1 Like

I’ll just add that I too am on the fence and will not place a large order until the delay issue and the loss of Z-wave dimming when the local load control is disabled.

I suspect that you could give up the firmware space for the local config control easily, I found it frustrating to use and would would rather set my parameters programmatically through my home automation platform. I suspect the local config control, while well intentioned, was catering to a small subset of users.

2 Likes

Just adding a +1 to have the adjustable ms delay. It has been noticeable by guests and I find it painful to try to turn on the lights and already be partially in a room tripping on things. I don’t want to go the route of re-enabling local control because I want the scene control functionality and I also don’t want to limit the number of scenes available by taking out the delay all together. Please provide a solution!

1 Like

I’m guessing in your case, the light fixtures aren’t directly connected to the switch. Because otherwise, you can’t disable local control. That’s the slowest combination. Switch has a delay in sending the CentralScene to the hub, hub has a delay in sending the commands to the smart bulbs. I have this same scenario for my Hue bulbs and would love it to be faster also. No longer clear to me if/when we’d get this update but staying hopeful.

Yep you’re correct. I have ~25 red series switches connected to ~70 sylvania recessed can lights (zigbee) throughout the house. I can control the lights without disabling and they work super fast but then I lose my scene control and it turns the bulbs off. Disabling local control gives me the scene control and I can set the level to 0 without turning the bulb off. But then the lag is introduced…also hopeful that this will get resolved some day.

Which hub do you use? If you use ST, it’d even be more of a lag and the firmware update won’t completely fix it. Hubitat would be faster since it’s all local control

Using hubitat. Its not the end of the world but just an annoyance when guests say " I can’t figure out your smart lights" because they tap multiple times expecting instant results.

Why are you using zigbee smart bulbs? Why not just use regular dimmer LEDs especially since you have remote control from the switches. They are also very cheap.

I only use smart bulbs when the fixture can’t be controlled from the switch