What are you using your notification LED's for

What events are you using to detect automation trigger/success? This sounds super useful and I’d love to try setting it up myself.

I have all my automations set up in node red, and I use a subflow set up to detect scene events from particular node id’s on my network. I included a screenshot of one of my automations below.

I have a scene associated to the three up-press event on my entry way light 2 switch. Once this is detected, it launches both the “turn off kitchen cabinet led” automation, as well as setting the led bar on the same switch to a yellow chase animation.

From there I have a wait node, which I set to time out after 10 seconds if the condition it’s waiting for isn’t achieved. So if the kitchen leds turn off within 10 seconds, it plays a solid green effect for 3 seconds. If the wait node times out, it plays the red fast blink. Either way it clears the yellow chase notification successfully after no more than 10 seconds.

Here’s a picture of my automation:

It actually works quite well! It probably could be more efficient, but I like it none the less. I’m happy to share my code as well if interested. Hope this helps!

1 Like

Ahh, node red. Not something I’ve delved into yet, but I think I get how that works. I was hoping you had found a way to respond to all automations starting and use the initiating entity ID to update the LED, rather than setting up the same logic for each individual switch.

Sorry to keep bugging you, but I tried to set this one up as well, only to find that by the time the shutdown trigger runs my automation, the zwavejs server is long gone, so nothing gets through to the switches. Is there anything special you did to get this to work?

1 Like

Sorry for the delay on this one, I somehow missed the notification on my end.

This one is also in node red unfortunately, but I am monitoring call_service for a specific action of restart. So my switch node looks for msg.payload.event.service within call_service, and once it sees “restart” it triggers the led notification on my switches.

This automation sometimes fails to update all switches in time, but this usually does trigger in time before the server goes down for a reboot. I update my switches to a blue chase by calling a group, and I have noticed that the updates go out in the order they appear in the group. So if you have one switch in particular you hope to update, I’d make sure that’s listed first in your automation.

Hope this helps!

Ok, so you’re only capturing manual restarts, not anything outside of user action. But that’s probably good enough, thanks!

By the way, you might have better luck getting the message to all the switches if you use multicast. Bulk set isn’t quite as quick afaik. Check out this thread: Instant Notifications All Switches Using Multicast on HA

2 Likes

Correct, for my use case this was all I needed. And sure thing!

Also yes I have been very interested in phasing out bulk set in favor of multi cast, I’m hoping to have some extra time this weekend to work on that. Thanks for the heads up! I’ll take anything to speed up a few of my automations :slight_smile:

1 Like

I use alarms sent to every light switch for open garage door (red flashing) and any water leak sensor triggered (Blue flashing). I don’t like to overdo the alarms since I don’t want them to become something to ignore. The garage one has been very useful when someone forgets to close the door. Water leak I hope I never need to worry about.

I have a chase alarm on my garage light switch so when I hit the config button, it goes red indicates the automaton is turning off and green indicates turning on. I use this to toggle a light timer automaton (garage light turns on when garage door opens and turns off after 15 minutes). I hit the config button to turn off the automaton when I’m working in garage for longer than 15 minutes so the light doesn’t turn off on me. I also have the light timer set to dim transition for two minutes so I don’t get caught in the dark.

I change the LED default color based on my town’s garbage/recycle schedule which alternates weeks for recycling. Example, blue for no pickup/normal, yellow for cans (bin is yellow), green for paper and purple for garbage.

2 Likes

Using mine with Home Assistant. Tied together some automation to set the color for Weather statements, watches and warnings for my area from Environment Canada.

Blue = all clear
White = Weather Statement or Advisory
Yellow = Weather Watch
Red = Weather Warning

Gives us a visual alert for when storm warnings are issued or when there is bad weather happening.

2 Likes

This is genius. 100% stealing this.

3 Likes

I don’t use actual notifications but I change the LED color with webcore.

I have a “color when on” that I change based on season / mood (it’s currently orange for Halloween). If the front door is unlocked all of my switches will change to yellow. I can then press the config button to lock the door. This will change to green for 5 seconds if successful or change to red for 5 seconds if it couldn’t lock the door.

I also turn all LEDs off when nobody is home.

2 Likes

I have a new one for the list that the wife loves.

We just put two of these in the master bathroom. Our master bathroom has the toilet in a separate little area with a door, ceiling light, and a fan with Inovelli switches on both.

I set it so that if the light switch is off and someone pushes down on the switch (off), a 60-second solid white notification is sent to the switchs.

It makes a perfect little night light! It’s not a ton of light but enough to make sure everyone hits their mark for the late-night bathroom breaks without being blinded by the overhead light. I could have set it red for better night vision but the wife thought that was a little too military for us.

WAF is high on this one!

9 Likes

My house has red lights on in the living room, kitchen and hallways at night. I was in the Navy when I was younger and we always had red lights everywhere at night.

1 Like

I have mine pulse green on the mornings the robot vacuums are going to run. It reminds us to pick things off the floor before leaving. With 3 cats and all their toys, Sabatage can happen at times lol. I also have them pulse blue when I set the hvac fan to manual on to remind me that it’s set that way.

5 Likes

In addition to most of them being used for the house alarm status, I also have a hubitat/rule machine that manages my hall light brightness level. it makes sure the light is on at 70% near sundown, 10% at 8pm, 5% at 10pm, then 1% at midnight-sunrise. it allows overrides to make brighter and then resets back to preset after 5 minutes. anyway, i created an override rule (triggered by 3x down-presses) that keeps it set at whatever manual level for 1 hour. then i slow blink green on the hall light LEDs to indicate it’s in override.

I have the LED color change to green on switches that are running an active automation to let everyone know that the light is supposed to be on and that it will turn off on its own. The LED turns back to the normal blue when the automation is finished. Green for good to go…aka leave it alone :slight_smile:

6 Likes

red pulse when smart lock is unlocked and yellow pulse when the heater is ON.

3 Likes

A lot of good ideas. Here are a couple of the more unique uses I have for the indicators:

1. SCROLL BULB COLORS Double-tapping a switch lets you cycle through 5 pre-set choices of bulb colors. Indicator on the switch matches color of the lighting while you cycle through choices.
  2. TOGGLE AUTOMATION Operating a switch locally temporarily changes that area to “manual mode” (no automation). The indicator changes from normal to chase while the switch is in manual mode to let everyone know the automation is off. Once automation comes back (after another tap or timer expires), indicator returns to normal.
5 Likes

These are great and applicable to the new blue 2-1’s. Bumping this thread up

Fridge door open . . . built in alarm not working . . . backed up with a text message.

1 Like