What do you do with old switches?

My order of switches is coming in today and I’m going to start replacing my dumb switches with them. But I don’t know what I should do with the dumb switches once they’re replaced. They work fine, but I don’t want to just throw them away. Any ideas?

I brought mine to Habitat for Humanity.

5 Likes

Keep them for if/when I move. :slight_smile: Or at the very least keep a couple around in case you need to troubleshoot any seemingly-electrical problems and think the switch may be the problem, or at least that’s what I’d do. But the above sounds like a good idea if you’re not concerned about any of this!

Yes keep them and replace them when you move :smiley:

I put mine in the “electrical” bin in the garage.

1 Like

If they are basic paddle switches, keep one or two as emergency spares and toss the rest. You can get 10 of them for $16 at Home Depot.
If/as/when you move out you may want to keep your Inovelli switches and put the house back as dumb switches, but at less than $2 each IMHO it’s more worthwhile to just buy shiny new ones which’ll look cleaner and not clutter up your place with unwanted switches.

2 Likes

Thanks for the ideas everyone.

Excellent idea. I think this is the way to go. Thanks @harjms.

2 Likes

I hang all of my removed switches/outlets from tree branches in the yard by 14-gauge wire, as a warning to any other “dumb” switches that might try to sneak into our house… :rofl:

7 Likes

That’s very sadistic

Sometimes you got to send electricans a message.

2 Likes

You should see what I do with a low-flow toilet to send plumbers a message!!! :rofl:

external-content.duckduckgo

Your scaring me @mraz.camren

1 Like

Scaring you more than @vreihen?

Yeah, @vreihen is just talking about poop, your posting inbred pikachus

1 Like

1 Like

:laughing: