Wiring Help Requested

Thanks for clarifying. One last question, should the two wires marked travellers both go to the traveller screw on the inovelli?

If you look at the Inovelli drawing, just try to match what it has. E.g. the drawing has Red on the Traveler screw and the WHT connected to the Load screw. Please do not get the WHT confused with the neutral. It should be the WHT that is connected to your Brass colored screw on the current 3-way.

Also, please note (if you haven’t already) that the LINE will no longer be sent over to Box 2. It stays in the box and Load is sent over to Box 2 and comes back over to the light via Box 1.

1 Like

Well, the inovelli is now powered but I have no lighting. I went through the configuration and set it up to work with a dumb switch. Any ideas?

Where’d you connect the LOAD line coming from Box 2 to the light?

Is that the one that is unplugged? That should be wire nutted together.

1 Like

Thanks for all of your help guys. Got it working after connecting the stray black wire to load on the switch. Everything is connected and working!

Please tell me you don’t have two wires connected to load.

1 Like

I do. I take it that is bad?

Yes…we need to get you to connect that BLK wire (load) you just connected to the BLK wire coming from Box 2.

What should this wire be wire nutted to?

Is that the black conductor from the 3-wire?

I believe it’s going to be in the bundle of BLK wires. Before you wired the Inovelli switch in, the LINE went over to Box 2; we now have LINE in Box 1 so we need to untie that BLK from the bundle that is going to Box 2 and connect that to the blk wire you just circled.

The loose black wire was connected to the old switch (circled). So, connect it to line?

Correct. The circled BLK was connected to COM and goes up to the light as indicated in @Bry’s labels “Load to the light”.

You should be able to find the BLK that is contained with the travelers ROMEX. Find that BLK wire and see if it goes to the bundle of lines.

Thanks. So just to be clear, because I am simple :slight_smile: :grinning:, the wire you referenced should be separated from the line bundle and wire nutted to black load wire?

You have to follow this diagram . . let’s go through it one at a time:

1. The black Line bundle should have a pigtail to the Line terminal of the Inovelli.
  2. The white Neutral bundle should have a pigtail to the Neutral terminal of the Inovelli.
  3. 3-wire Red > Inovelli Traveler
  4. 3-wire White > Inovelli Load
  5. 3-wire Black > 2-wire Black Load to the Light
  6. Neutral bundle > 2-wire White Load to Light

Success! Thank you for your patience with helping me though this. I’m finally up and running and it is now operating correctly.

1 Like