Yet Another 3-Way Switch Issue

I connected an older first generation dimmer to replace a dumbswitch that controls a light in a 3-way.

For the most part, it works. However, depending on the position of the dumbswitch, I cannot control the light with the Inovelli switch.

I’ve included images of the original wiring for the dumbswitches. One dumbswitch doesn’t have a neutral wiring in the box.

Any help or insight would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Hey @milkigloo – thanks for joining the community and thanks for taking the time out to write in!

I just want to confirm here – do you have our NZW31 (Gen 1 - Dimmer)? If so, you have the Dimmer in the box that has the Line/Neutral and left the dumb switch, right?

Hang in there, we’ll figure it out!

Yes, that is correct.

Yes, the dimmer is in the box with the Line/Neutral and I didn’t touch the wiring of the dumb switch.

Ok, thanks for the update!

Can you take a picture of the current setup?

If I had to take a stab at it without looking at it, it may just be as simple as making sure the proper wire is on the common screw. I’m basing it on this statement:

So, if you could snap some pics of the dumb switch, that would be helpful. Bonus points if you can do it for the smart switch too, just so I can make sure.

The dumb switch pic is above (the one where I indicated no neutral). I didn’t touch the wiring.

Smart switch below.

Sorry, only one pic per post since I’m a n00b.

Last one.

Sorry for being out of it, but I just realized this was a Gen 1 (sorry, all these wiring questions are getting to me). So, unfortunately, the Gen 1 switch requires a neutral wire in both boxes as it’s what is used to detect the change to switch.

The new Gen 2 switch should work for you as it does not require a neutral at the dumb switch.

Sorry for the confusion and frustration!

Ah… No worries.

I will wait until there is stock of the gen 2 dimmers. Thanks for your help.