Z-Wave 5-Button Scene Controller + Dimmer Switch | Project Limitless

Which demonstrates that there are definitely different markets and use cases.

I intentionally have not gotten into “Smart Bulbs”. My luck with bulbs is that they often burn out way sooner than I like–and I don’t want the hassle of including new devices and changing automations every time a bulb conks out.

As such, the local dimming is crucial to me.

1 Like

I was not proclaiming my way or the highway.

I can appreciate both methodologies.

I started moving to smart lights because regardless of what LED bulbs I’ve tried I can’t reach lux levels that are low enough for my preferences without flickering using local dimming.

Further, being able to change color temperature based on time of day (or mood) has been a huge advantage.

1 Like

I’ve also experienced pre-mature LED bulb failure more often than I’d like, and this is with supposed high-quality, name-brand bulbs like Cree.

Not to mention things like chandeliers and other fixtures that use candelabra-base bulbs where “smart bulbs” aren’t really a thing…

(On another note, I’ve been pretty happy with the Phillips Warm-Glow LED bulbs that get warmer as they are dimmed.)

1 Like

Other than the native app still requiring major improvements, I’ve been really rather surprised by the value for dollar and comprehensive collection of Philips WiZ bulbs (at the Home Depot). I was thrilled to find they have A19 (60w), A21 (100w), and GU10 fitments, and even a 85w equivalent (1150 lumen) recessed light assembly.

They are missing in my opinion, adjustable white color temp and or full color Edison style bulbs though.

I’m controlling about 18 of them through HomeKit via HomeBridge software. I haven’t had them long enough to comment on longevity.

I have found adjusting color temperature throughout the day helps my mood, and my 2.5 year old son gets a real kick out of a random display of colors throughout our main living area in “party mode”.

First off… I LOVE this product. Would put a few of these in the house in strategic locales.

One of my frustrations with multi-button switches is the difficulty of finding the right button. As others have pointed out the competitors do this with lumpy buttons, but these quickly lose the elegance of modern sleek design. Here are two ideas to combat this:

1. Slightly raise the top edge of each button (indicated by slight white line on my images below
  2. what about putting some braille dots on them in strategic places to indicate which button you are pressing?
    I’ve over exaggerated this with my illustration below. This shouldn’t add to the expense of the product, and does aid in navigation while keeping the elegant design aesthetic of the Inovelli brand.

Braille dots left, center and right aligned to show distinctness of each button.

All left aligned to allow for icons (etched or stickers)

Other thoughts:
+1 on keeping the LED bar
Haptic: click yes, vibrate no
LEDs on each button: meh not worth the additional cost IMO
Backlight: only if etching reveals the icon. Would need to disable/enable backlight during sleep/wake hrs
Stickers or etching: I’m okay with stickers, would likely buy more for other places in my house too. If you think they’re going to get dirty, wash your hands people :wink:

1 Like

I am working on replacing all of my insteon devices (230 of them) to z-wave. I love your switches and would love to see and test your new 5 button scene controller.

Dave Smith [email protected]

3 Likes

Hi,
You asked for feedback, so here goes.

The most interesting point to me are the “buttons” and what do they do? Quite honestly, do we really need 2 special + 3 other? What if I had 5 (or 6) buttons? What if I want the “top” button to be the local control? How about a group of buttons and software gives functinality?
For me, I am looking to directly control another switch/dimmer from a button. Please let me explain.
In my house, I have a hallway and from there I can go left, right, or straight and there is a door in each direction. What I want is a collection of 3-way switches there. But (and this is a big but) I don’t have space to put in a 4-gang wall switch (there is a light in the hallway), so I need something a little smaller with more buttons.
What I want is to “pair” the button with a light switch. Pressing one is the same as pressing another. LED on one gives LED to the other.

Here are the requirements

Single Button, full control

• Ability to pair a button with a single switch/dimmer
  • Pressing the button would cause the paired switch/dimmer to toggle from on to off and also from off to on
  • At all times, whatever color the LED on the paired switch/dimmer would also appear on the button
  • This means that if an alert changes the color of the LED on the dimmer/switch it will also change the color of the paired button. No additional programming required.
  • Pressing and holding the button would cause the paired dimmer, if off, to ramp on
  • Pressing and holding the button would cause the paired dimmer, if on, to ramp off
  • Releasing a held button would cause the paired dimmer to stop ramping

Single button, half control

• Ability to pair a button with a single switch/dimmer button (either up, or down)
  • Pressing the button is the same as pressing the paired dimmer/switch paddle
  • This means a double-click on the paired “up” would have the same effect as double-click on the original “up”
  • Have the ability to track the LED color of the paired switch/dimmer
  • This means that if an alert changes the color of the LED on the dimmer/switch it will also change the color of the paired button. No additional programming required.

In this way, a single button can be used to control the lights. At a glance, I can see if any of the lights are on, and it fits in a small space.

Software assign of local control

• Ability to assign any of the buttons to be the “on” for the local load
  • Ability to assign any of the buttons to be the “off” for the local load
  • Ability to turn off local load control and just use the buttons as buttons (see above)

Personally, I want the single button, full control model. I do understand how the single button, half control could be easier for guests to understand.

As for the confusion of what the buttons do, allow us to order snap in replacement buttons with custom artwork on them. Ideally with an option for embossed, and also recessed. I want recessed in black ink.

Does this make sense?

Kirk

1 Like

I know this would probably be a different project, but I’d love to see this available as a Pico Remote.

1 Like

What’s the latest? Sad you’ll miss the holiday season but I’m in line for the pre-order whenever it becomes available.

Ditto. We have an addition that is slated to be completed in January and will be in for a preorder of 10-12 of these.

1 Like

Thai sounds like a great feature request for the 700 Series Inovelli bulbs’ firmware when they come out, @EricM_Inovelli . The feature could be activated by setting a color temperature for 1% and another for 99%, with a linear interpolation in between. (Of course this could just be done in automation, but there would be some lag between the level change and CCT change commands…)

2 Likes

Late to the party on this but my two cents:

The led on each button makes it very easy to see which button is doing what. Even better if when the led is off there is no sign of it even being there.

While printing on the buttons would be nice, reality is so many different needs out there it could be a real turn off. I would rather have a blank switch, then a mislabeled one.

1 Like

Would it be possible to control 3 other dimmers from this one switch? Each scene button would be assigned to a specific dimmer, and the dim buttons would be used to control it up or down

Was thinking of functionality similar to the below

Another thought that came to me in the last couple days … what are the odds that you could control multiple groups at once by simultaneously pressing 2+ buttons?

Hello from the other side of Michigan (Ann Arbor). A little late, but found your company after searching high and low for a reasonable replacement for the enerwave zwn-sc7 that was discontinued. The ability for the controller to be flexible would be nice. I recently finished my basement and left three 1-gang locations open for scene controllers. I don’t need a load control at these three locations, but I understand that may be an advantage for some people.
Here is my wishlist:

1. Works with SmartThings
  2. 5 to 6 buttons assignable from smartThings to trigger scenes however I want (All On, entertain, All off, Movie…) More buttons is always better, but 5-6 would be a good start.
  3. LED light for each button, that also updates on the other 2 controllers when a button is pressed
  4. LEDs should be adjustable. Don’t want full bright LED in the room during a movie scene or All OFF
  5. Some kind of option for custom button labels. Even it it means clear buttons and a downloadable template for printed labels to place behind the clear button face. Clear button might be cool, so the whole button edge glows. I like the look of the RTI RK1 Wall Keypad.
  6. Ability to use without load control as a stand alone, so no button should be forced to use the load control.
  7. Z-Wave Plus. I think that is a given at this point.
  8. Standard Decora Dimensions so any brand faceplate works. Nexia One Touch is cool, but can’t use it next to any other switch.
  9. One button to have the ability to be split or a rocker. I’m thinking for controlling roller shades up/down, or be able to assign it to be a dimmer control.
  10. Another nice to have would be single button scene control. Press and hold brightens the whole scene/ assigned light. Maybe double tap and hold Dims the whole scene/light.

Thanks for the openness and use of a forum to gather ideas from actual potential customers, and Good Luck!

1 Like

This is great as the market is really lacking options for scene controllers. In my opinion the best available right now is the Cooper RFWC5AW.

It is simple, looks good and has great functionality however seems to be discontinued.

• No label is best so that it can be customized to any situation
  • Push and hold buttons to dim ups\down or open\close or speed up\down
  • Led indicator lights controlled independent of scene status
  • All off button

It would however be nice to have a few options to use in different scenarios. Options from 3 to 10 buttons. Would also be nice to have multi gang options.

I used to have something similar to this when I had an insteon setup. Looking forward to getting this functionality back… with light bars!

Would it be possible to control 3 other dimmers from this one switch? Each scene button would be assigned to a specific dimmer, and the dim buttons would be used to control it up or down

Was thinking of functionality similar to the below

Can we get a pulse check from someone at Inovelli on this project? Is this still tracking for a Q1 release? Or was this project also affected by the debt load/ Covid issues mentioned on other threads?

Sorry to get to this so late. A lot can be said here, but the TL;DR of how I think of this is, scenes are mutually exclusive (only one can be active at a time) while zones are independent (>1 can active at any time).