Z-Wave 5-Button Scene Controller + Dimmer Switch | Project Limitless

I like that idea. Let me chat about it with @Eric_Inovelli

2 Likes

Even swappable plates would be sufficient for additional cost. Not sure what the “general public” would want…

Yeah, I agree with @kreene1987 – we’ll have to brainstorm how to put etching on the paddle as I don’t think it would look good with that mockup (although I do like the mockup). Let me do some quick research to see how other brands are doing it and mock something up.

I do like the up/down arrows vs the bulb off/on design though.

Check that Lutron wouldn’t have an issue with it. I copied it from them:

I think most companies use the physical button element as feedback, but honestly I think you have an opportunity to set yourself apart with this feature/option.

Just some examples. I am torn bc I think the ridges take away from the clean aesthetics, but I can see the draw of having them (ie: visually impaired, finding the correct button in the dark, etc).

We can discuss this internally and with the other company in the picture, but I think I’m leaning towards an alternate paddle to sell. Only problem with this method is we’re now having to buy a ton of different paddles (multiple colors with flat style buttons, multiple colors with raised buttons).

I like the discussion though and it’s definitely something we’ll consider!

2 Likes

I may have missed it in the post, but is there a rough estimate of time to market?

Kinda a bummer that there’s not a “dimmer level” LED.

1 Like

I really like the third option you have there even as a default paddle: Keep space for the text/etching to be centered vertically on the button, and put a small bar on the bottom. It really reminds me of the F and J keys on a keyboard, which have a similar indicator for finding them in the dark / without looking.

Even without any visual impairment, I would appreciate the extra bit of tactile indicator for use in the dark. The indicator lights tell me where the buttons are, but a bar like that would tell me that my fingers made it there successfully!

I know… trust me I wanted this. Ultimately, it would’ve added to the cost and also since we’re working on this with another company, our hands were tied on this one :frowning:

1 Like

I kind of sold myself on this as well. I think the LED’s will do “enough” if 10% dimmed when off, but I think tactile feedback only improves upon this.

Great options Eric, you know what they say about great minds…

Edit: I also prefer option 3.

1 Like

@anon14959390 I think I misunderstood the original design. Are there one or two dimmers are the bottom? I was under the impression there were two. By these pictures it implies a single dimmer with up/down control.

I think the bottom two buttons would function like the up/down paddle on a current Red-Series Dimmer. The other three buttons above them are just scene triggers.

Popping in to answer as much as I can as Nathan is enjoying time celebrating his son’s birthday :slight_smile:

We were originally targeting end of June, but it got pushed out due to some of the materials having a long lead time so we’re looking at likely end of Q3 for production. We’re trying our best to speed it up, but that’s what it’s looking like now.

@darthandroid and @kreene1987 - agree with you guys on the third option. It allows for more space for etching too as you mentioned.

Apologies for the misunderstanding. @darthandroid is correct, the bottom two buttons control one load (right button turns on and dims up, left button turns off and dims down) where the top three buttons are, “virtual” buttons used for scene control.

3 Likes

Got it. That’s why I put dual LED bars on this image. 1 dimmer is actually better since it’s going into a location with a single switch. I was thinking of using the second dimmer as another scene controller but 3 is plenty.

Lol no worries. That’s a lot of LED’s, haha!

1 Like

It would make a great night light :joy:

2 Likes

The ones to the right of the scene buttons were fine.

I was sure hoping for a horizontal one above/below the bottom 2 on/off buttons that would show the dimming level. :frowning:

But, sounds like Inovelli got out-muscled by the others involved on this one. Not sure how much more it would have cost–but I’d think it would have been worth it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

So. Since this has a 700 series chip, will it support Z-Wave LR?

Very interesting updates, great to see this making progress. I am in line for about 10 of these.

Will the two bottom buttons (for the local load) be scene capable? I am planning to install these in a no-load config (to replace a bunch of old EPB controllers) and I would love for all 5 buttons to be functional.

Same for me, I am planning to replacements 10 existing keypad all with no local load and no real need for dim up or down arrow.