Z-Wave 800 Series 2-1 Switch (On/Off & Dimmer) | Project Phoenix

That sounds fun.

1 Like

FYI zwavejs2mqtt has officially been renamed to ZwaveJS UI

Will this one feature the improved (smoother) dimming that is in the Blue Series?

1 Like

Not really, the current one is the Z-Wave JS integration and the HA team encourages everyone towards this. Z-Wave JS is a replacement for zwave2mqtt.

Why do they insist on naming it “JS”? Why does it matter that its implemented in JavaScript? No one cares but the developers.

That is exactly why they named it with JS. For the developers who know Javascript to feel more likely to contribute. It also implies open code that can be read by humans.

Ugh. To me (a developer too) it reads as nerd speak. zwavejs2mqtt or whatever is worse.

1 Like

Well I would agree that once it reaches the end user in an application like Home Assistant, they should probably just give it a name like Z-wave Connector v1.2 or whatever and then have a details page explaining where it comes from. The project itself though is pretty nerdy.

@bbradley - Yes. Eric stated it would be built with the 2N1 design with new radio chip.

1 Like

There’s a little history here, though. HA’s zwave support used to be via another library, openzwave. The integration for which was called simply Z-wave. So, the new integration for the new backend library is not just called Z-wave to differentiate. Both ozw and zwavejs were supported simultaneously while zwavejs was maturing.

2 Likes

Are there currently 800 series hubs/USB sticks available? An 800 series device on a 700 series controller means you’re not getting any benefits from the 800 series chip, correct?

1 Like

FYI as of 2022.8 the integration was renamed from “Z-Wave JS” to just “Z-Wave”.

1 Like

Oh nice. I didn’t notice that.

I would say incorrect. The 800 series hardware doesn’t come with a protocol upgrade as best as I can tell, but you’re getting faster CPU, more RAM, better radio hardware, lower power consumption, etc.

4 Likes

Request
built-in config option for double tap to full brightness of the dimmer

It’s in the blue firmware (personally tested as beta tester). No reason it wouldn’t be in this one.

1 Like

Product suggestion: Ability to automatically synchronize the color of the RGB strip on the side of the switch with the color of the RGB smart bulb / Hue it is controlling. This way if you have an RGB bulb outside in the porch you don’t have to go outside to know what color it is currently.

4 Likes

Community outreach suggestion: Email everyone who signed up on your store to be notified when Red Switches come back in stock and tell them all about project phoenix and provide a link to this thread so that can stay apprised of progress.

Great idea, this would be very simple to implement through an automation. In fact, I think I’m going to set this up now LOL

3 Likes

Will Inovelli own the code this time, so that there isn’t that issue with updates, etc. that there seems to be with the 500-series switches?

1 Like