Zigbee 2-1 Switch (On/Off & Dimmer) | Project New Horizon (Blue Series)

Doh! Was away for a few weeks and missed the preorder!

Question about zigbee binding: Two of my pre-ordered Blue 2-1 switches will be replacing a pair of z-wave switches. They’ll be configured in smart bulb mode… between the two switches there are 6 Hue light bulbs downstream. In my current config, zigbee bulbs on zwave switches, I have to use my hub to translate button presses into lightbulb actions.

Another post described how to set up group bindings in zigbee2mqtt so that switch actions are mirrored to each other and all lights are controlled, regardless of which switch is touched. That looks great, but I have one question: if all bulbs are bound in a group to a switch (or are part of multiple overlapping groups, per the instructions), will I still have individual control over each bulb via my central control hub? In other words, does binding these bulbs negate my ability to define scenes where the bulbs may have different dim values or on/off states?

I’m not an expert, but I’m pretty confident in this answer based on the research I’ve done. Happy to be corrected by somebody more knowledgeable:

Don’t think of it as the light being bound to the switch: think of it as the switch being bound to the light. The light doesn’t care what is controlling it: it doesn’t “know” that a switch is bound to it- it only knows about the commands it receives. The light doesn’t send any information back to the switch: there is no 2-way “mirroring” happening. This is similar in the “group” zigbee functionality you mention as well: an individual light only cares about itself and what group(s) it’s in: it has no idea about any other lights in the group.

With the above in mind, it should be more clear how your lights will react to different scenarios.

1. You can set any scenes you want (via your hub) across your bulbs at any time regardless of how many switches are bound to them: the bulbs are always going to respond to any commands they’re given whether they originate from your hub vs a switch that is bound to them.

2. The switch that is bound to those lights will not know about your lights’ state(s). If you set a complicated scene on your bulbs from your hub, your switch is happily ignorant of that. When the scene is “active”, you’re still able to go to your switch and physically press the buttons on it to send commands directly to the bound lights. e.g. if you press down on the paddle, your bound lights should all turn off. Note: I think these functions could vary based on how Inovelli configures their switches: I assume a switch in the “off” state would still send an “off” signal to the bound lights when the bottom of the paddle is pressed (I have a GE zigbee switch that works this way).

2 Likes

Whats the status. Online has generic statement of December for non pre-order. Is there still some inventory? I could go for another 10 if they’re actually avail shortly. Thanks!!

Yeah we are completely sold out of the pre-orders – so we have to place an order for more which won’t be ready until Decemberish.

Crazy times!

1 Like

Question: will these support handling multi tap in the switch itself such as the Zooz double tap for full brightness and night light features?

These sounds like something that could be implemented by firmware changes only and are such great features (Lutron implemented double tap to full brightness in their new Caseta Diva dimmer).

I understand I can do it with my hub but having it in the switch would potentially make it respond faster and work without a hub.

And since it is software based it could be configurable (turn feature on/off and night light level).

If this is not available yet… here goes my first feature request :sunglasses:

Excellent question and dangit, I knew there was something I wanted to add. I remember seeing this feature on the Zooz switch and while I initially thought it wasn’t that big of a deal, I can see the benefit in a couple scenarios.

1. Speed like you said
  2. Hubs that don’t support scene control

I don’t believe this was built in, but I could be wrong (EDIT: I was wrong!) - @EricM_Inovelli, if this wasn’t built in, can we add it to our GitHub as a parameter that could be enabled?

@CodeMaster - just brainstorming out loud… Maybe we could have it so that you could have it be any button you program it to as well as pre-defined levels (ie: 10%, 25%, 50%, etc). We potentially could do both the up and down paddle for on and off.

What do you think?

Edit: Apparently we do have the double-tap to full brightness built into our switch. I need to pull it together lol!

I suppose we could build upon this like I suggested above, but at the very least the good news is we have what you asked!

3 Likes

ahhh bummer…that sucks for all of us! to slow on my side!

on the other hand: congrats!!! to inovelli. That’s excellent to see such great response to the new product!

1 Like

Let me check today. I was being very conservative as to not make ppl upset if they ordered and I had to tell them it wouldn’t be available until December.

I know the numbers are very tight though.

It definitely is very exciting (and frustrating - I never can get demand right).

Do you hold back some number of switches from the initial batch for warranty replacements?

2 Likes

Yeah definitely. We hold about 5-7% back :slight_smile:

Great question!

2 Likes

Just put in another “pre-order” for 10 more, hoping to squeek into the initial run to totally convert the house over!

Thanks Eric, glad to hear they’re moving fast, hoping I squeaked this last order in under the cut-off!

Have a great day,
Jonathan

1 Like

I ordered another 10 pack on Sunday (selfishly hoping I made it in time for the preorder batch), so I’ve got 30 coming now (and a 10pack of aux switches that I may not end up using and instead binding blue series together…TBD). This will cover all but a small handful of switches in the house.

We moved a couple months ago and I left all my red series behind for the new owners. I can wait to get these new switches installed and paired up in Home Assistant!

Alright, I just ordered my 10 pack as well. It will come when it comes.

Gonna be excited to see how it integrates w/ Home Assistant and my Hue bulbs.

@Eric_Inovelli will we be notified when the Blue series have the ability for Matter?

1 Like

Are you going to group orders together or prioritize multiple orders in any way.

I did a terrible job counting. Made a pre-order of 10-pack. A second pre-order of 10-pack. Then pre-ordered 3 AUX last week, followed by a Blue 10-pack “backorder”

According to last week’s email update, all preorders will be fulfilled at the same time (no batching per indiv order if you ended up making several [as I did!])

1 Like

First of all thanks for the prompt response.

Awesome!!! :man_dancing: :partying_face: :man_dancing:
Since I moved away from Zooz (just because we loved the LED bar in the red series) my wife and kids keep complaining about the full brightness feature.
I’m going to make the family happy by bringing it back.

And yes, making it customizable and implementing the “nightlight feature” (turn on to a low level when off and when lower paddle is held) would bring it a step further.

You are right: this is not a big deal, it is more of a silly thing.
On the other hand Lutron decided to market this silly thing on their Caseta Diva video that is made for the masses… because these are the silly things that sells :grinning:

Anyway… happy to know it is there. Can’t wait to get my hands on it. Thanks a bunch.

1 Like

I have an order for 20 blues. My plan has been to use them for all of my light switches. For 3 way and 4 way switches I understand this is possible with zigbee bindings. Can this currently be done with hubitat? Also, what happens if i sell my house and the new owner doesnt want to use the hub? are those bound switches inoperable? am i better off just ordering aux switches for the multi-way locations?

Was the question about being able to control fluorescent lights with this switch answered? I can’t find anywhere above whether this will work (in the on/off only configuration of course) for the tube fluorescent lights. Thanks!

1 Like