Zigbee 2-1 Switch (On/Off & Dimmer) | Project New Horizon (Blue Series)

and yet the UL didn’t find that the switches were unbelievably hot. Strange. :wink:

One request here. Please make sure that the revised version, whenever it comes out, has a distinct model number even it it has the same marketing name. Product revisions that cannot be told from that is shown on the box cause a lot of headache for consumers.

Also please consider reserving a distinct model number for the thread flashed versions of MG21s, even if the hardware is otherwise 100% identical. Why? If you ever ship any pre-flashed like this, you will likely need to supply a slightly different manual, to account for any thread related pairing differences, etc. If you are re-flashing devices anyway, applying an industry standard overlay sticker on the device and box is not that much additional work. The upside is then that anybody receiving a new-in-box switch can be 100% sure of what it will support out of the box.

The main downside of this is that user upgraded/downgraded devices would have a printed model number that does not match the effective model, but that is pretty normal for user-modified devices.

To be clear though, I’m less concerned about this scenario that the one where a different chip is being used. If thread and ZigBee versions for MG21s units have the same model number that is potentially confusing, but not a huge deal. On the other hand if MG21s and MG24 or Nordics have the same model number that is obviously very painfully confusing.

4 Likes

Geez, talk about cutting it close lol.

Yeah that’s a great call-out. We definitely will have some distinction. Probably the easiest is a different SKU #. Great suggestion!

Definitely something we’ll do, thanks for the suggestion!

3 Likes

Hate to be that guy but just wanted to check and see if there are any updates on the shipping of preorders?:grin:

2 Likes

No update unfortunately, but let me boost some morale around here bc I know everyone is getting antsy (including me).

We received a very very small amount of production orders (I had them send it to me before the rest were finished so I could check the quality and also use for samples for B2B) so let me get some in the communities hands by playing a fun game.

I’ll ask 4 questions (one fun fact about each of the employees here) and if you answer it correctly, I’ll send out a free switch on me.

So, I’ll ask one question, and you all can guess until someone gets it right. Then I’ll move onto the next one. One answer per person per day.

Question #1 - What was the first smart home product I purchased (Eric H)? Name Brand and type (ie: GE Smart Switch, Innr Smart Bulb, etc).

NOTE: After each day I will move the question and answer to a separate thread as I know this one will get clogged up fast. I’m keeping it here for now bc lots of ppl are following it and I want to give them a chance.

4 Likes

106 posts were split to a new topic: Free Blue Series 2-1 Switch Game Thread

A post was merged into an existing topic: Free Blue Series 2-1 Switch Game Thread

Just letting people know that I moved the game portion of this thread to a new one that can be found here: Free Blue Series 2-1 Switch Game Thread - #107 by Eric_Inovelli

5 Likes

Tell customs I’m coming over to port to get these switches moving whether they like it or not, otherwise my wife might make me put in dumb switches :rofl:

4 Likes

Quick update: Customs has sent the product back to China bc they said the technology was too advanced to bring to the US/Canada and that we’ll have to wait a few years for other companies to catch up.

Kidding, we cleared customs!

It’s now enroute to NJ. I’ll have more info once it starts shipping :slight_smile:

22 Likes

GiveItToMeNow.gif

1 Like

Quick update: Customs has sent the product back to China…

Not gonna lie my breath caught for a brief moment there… :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

Everyone meet up at HQ.

4 Likes

Excerpt from Eric’s bucket list:
Give a bunch of home automation nerds synchronized heart palpitations… Check!

When all you see is up to the words “back to China bc” in your phone notifications, I am sure a lot of people had their phones almost slip out of their hands to unlock real fast!

6 Likes

replying for the updates.

1 Like

This comment couldn’t have been more accurate. The preview of that post had me.

1 Like

Does this perhaps mean we would get Matter firmware before I installed these?

That would be nice. At this time, we are focusing on just getting these things to you.

Now that it’s officially out, we can assess how many hubs are using it, what all needs to be done to convert our firmware, etc.

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but we’re juggling a lot right now and we want to make sure everything goes smooth for pre-orders before introducing anything Matter related.

5 Likes

Just a MATTER of time until you get everything sorted out. We’ll wait not so patiently. :grin:

I’m in Jersey and have a 10pk on pre order. Can I just swing by the docks and pick them up?