Zigbee 2-1 Switch (On/Off & Dimmer) | Project New Horizon (Blue Series)

Zigbee spec says that hardwire devices shall present as repeating devices. I’m sure this will be the case as it is with their z-wave line. They have to meet spec.

2 Likes

Hell yes - reserved a spot for Blue the second I came across this thread. DM the deets when the team’s ready.

Nice - maybe specific to Neutral-connected switches? I picked up a few Aqara Lumi non-neutral switches a while back (3.0 stamped) only to find out they connect as end devices (clearly noted in their docs - my mistake). Aqara might have been bending the spec however - those switches initially presented as routers, at least when connected to a ‘standard’ network.

Are you, uh, generally looking for beta testers? :slight_smile:

I’ve messed around a tiny bit and building a new network of mostly-ZigBee devices, so would be more than happy to help. I’m hoping to use Blue so I can disable their relay and bind them to Hue cans/strip lights.

Excited to hear an update. I’m hoping that the switches will be able to repeat Xiaomi zigbee devices. Xiaomi devices are popular because they are cheap, but seems that they don’t implement the full zigbee spec so not all zigbee repeaters work with them.

1 Like

Will these allow for association with a zigbee bulb?

1 Like

The dimmers and switches do not rely on the hub to operate. If you press on/off or dim, the switches directly control the load (unless you disable local control). They perform their action, and send a signal to the hub to notify the hub of the event. If the hub sends a command to the switch, the switch responds to that command, unless you disable remote control).

The switches and dimmers can also be members of z-wave groups (association groups). So if you power on/off a z-wave switch, it will notify all the other devices in the group of the event and they will respond without the hub to control them.

1 Like

/me raises hand as well

Would love to beta test Blue. I have a mixed network of around 50 ZigBee, Zwave, and Wi-Fi devices connected to a SmartThings hub currently. I have a number of dumb switches and dimmers left to replace. :slight_smile:

Sweet, love the chart lol! What program is that from?

We’ll definitely get a beta team ready once we move closer and I’ll reach out – thanks for volunteering!

Yeah, we have a nice core group that tests our Z-Wave devices, but we’re definitely looking to shake things up a bit for ZigBee/Matter as it’s a separate protocol and demographic.

Specifically, we’ll be looking for people who have Hue, and Amazon Alexa (the ZigBee compatible one) to start as a lot of testing will go behind those platforms. But, of course, we’ll still need SmartThings, Hubitat, Home Assistant and any other hub that supports ZigBee.

Happy to send a DM when the time comes and if you don’t hear from me, shoot me one – I may forget tbh lol

In theory they should! I’m a huge fan of Xiaomi myself from a branding standpoint. Their story is incredible (The Xiaomi Way is an incredible book that we’ve taken a lot of ideas from).

I think so – but I’ll let @EricM_Inovelli speak to the specifics. I’m not as versed in ZigBee language as I am with Z-Wave (bc in Z-Wave you can directly associate).

I got you :slight_smile: – we’ll probably get everything situated in the next month or so now that we’ve officially kicked everything off.

3 Likes

:raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:
please add me to the list of volunteers :raising_hand_man:

Please add me as well! I’ve got a few zigbee lights (recessed mainly) that I don’t really want to swap out, since zwave lights that aren’t bulbs are hard to come by.

Happy to beta test too!

I would like to also volunteer to beta test this switch. I’m currently testing which i want to use and running these which support zigbee: Hubitat, Home assistant, and i have the new alexa’s as well

Hey there… I’ve got a Hue Hub, Hubitat (primarily Innr Smart Plugs in the mesh), and an Echo w/ Zigbee hub. Let me know if you want another guinea pig. I’ve got a perfect central closet light to play with that won’t annoy my family in the event that something goes wrong.

Thanks - it’s just the native ZHA network map in Home Assistant. It does a nice job showing weak points in the mesh, nice eye candy, but it’s a little unruly imo - could use a few more options like ‘group by location’, save updated layout, etc. The ZW JS2MQTT map swings the other direction - high utility / ugly, all work / no play:

Hey @fatherdoctor - curious, are you running independent Zigbee networks, e.g. Hue lights to Hue hub, Innr to Echo, etc., or is every Zigbee device connected to a central hub? I’m caught waiting on the new / brighter Hue bulbs to drop and have been glancing at Innr on occasion - curious if they play nice in a mixed-vendor mesh…

I’ve got all of my Hue bulbs paired directly with the Hue hub on one channel and anything Innr paired to the HE on a second. The Innr mesh (which also includes some Philips branded buttons and Hue branded dimmer switch remotes) has never caused me a problem, but even keeping the Hue branded items together I occasionally get a bulb that doesn’t receive it’s command.

2 Likes

Would be more than happy to help with the beta testing from Canada on Hubitat, Hue or Alexa. Feel from to PM me if you would like more information.

1 Like

Project Update: We’ve paid the deposit for tooling and engineering fees, and just got the final 3D render with the updated config button. Thanks to all those who pushed back on the design – see, we do listen!

NOTE: Blue config is only there so you can see the difference between it and the paddle.

We should have an official project update in terms of timeline today or early next week.

9 Likes

My eyes must be failing me, where is the blue config button? Also congrats on getting one step closer to release.