Zigbee 2-1 Switch (On/Off & Dimmer) | Project New Horizon (Blue Series)

@Eric_Inovelli I like that chart! I could also see value in a “similarities and differences” chart just to put front and center “choose this → get this”

Really anything like the above that makes all of the options clear is great.

And to your point 2, does the aux switch match all scene control options with its buddy 2-1? Meaning a triple tap on the aux elicits the programmed triple tap response programmed to the smart switch? I assume yes; sorry if I missed that. Just making sure the aux has more than a single input if that makes sense.

I also think it could be useful to pull the wiring diagrams for each type of setup together under a heading for wiring type. So both 3 way options for neutral are side by side. That might make it too messy but when I was reading it was kind of frustrating to keep scrolling from "multi-way (dumb) to multi-way (Aux) neutral to multi-way (smart) neutral. Maybe all of the neutral setups could be grouped together so people who know what they have in their home can see every available option in one place?

This is how I would do it. Red X’s and green checkmarks based on features gained. You could do $/$$/$$$ for price as well.

I believe that is so! I think it was mentioned above or another post, but yes, a triple tap up on aux switch will be recognized on the blue series.

3 Likes

When will this switch and the aux switch be released

@harjms I believe that is so! I think it was mentioned above or another post, but yes, a triple tap up on aux switch will be recognized on the blue series.

Thanks! That was my initial interpretation as well, just wanted to be sure.

@Eric_Inovelli Speaking of the arrangement of the diagrams page, some of the links seem broken.
Multi-Way (aux) 3-way schematics and 4-way schematics link to the dumb switch sections. This is the same for both neutral and non-neutral sections. The headers under Multi-way (smart) do the same thing (link to dumb not smart sections).

And just to clarify what I was suggesting before: Since people know whether they have neutral wiring or not, so I was thinking maybe it would be nice to have a section for neutral wiring and a section for non-neutral, with all the various switch combinations under their respective headers. Most people coming to the site will probably be approaching it as “I have neutral wiring, where are all the options are available to me?”

What you’re suggesting is here:

In a 3-way with two blue switches do both boxes have to have a neutral? I think it should work if the load switch doesn’t have a neutral and the non load has a neutral. It’s a weird corner case that probably doesn’t exist but you never know.

2 Likes

Eric’s lastest update is early July.

3 Likes

The capitalization of Zigbee is wrong in a number of spots. The ‘b’ is lowercase.
Zigbee
Zigbee2MQTT

@Bry thanks! I guess that chart does fit the bill I was making it referring to possibly renaming the section headers/link tree to flow in kind of the same way. But all the info is there regardless and quite well explained so that’s great!

Funny, I think you explain it well in Resources | Blue Series Smart 2-1 Switch (On/Off & Dimmer) - Manual. I would and paste it into the smartthings guide. Also, I would edit the manual pairing to say “if you want to factory reset it or pair it with a hub at a later stage”.

1 Like

Great question, yes it will match everything :slight_smile:

It’s kind of buried in this thread, but here’s an example of the multi-presses from the aux switch: ZigBee 2-1 Switch (On/Off & Dimmer) | Project New Horizon (Blue Series) - #470 by Eric_Inovelli

Yeah it also doesn’t help that the table of contents hyperlinks are all messed up. I think what’s happening is that since all the phrases are the same, it’s confusing the anchor text. In other words, since there are multiple, “3-Way Schematics” it’s messing things up. I haven’t had a chance to really dive into it, but I did notice it too (hence the note to myself at the top of the post).

Could you explain this further? My thoughts from a user experience perspective was to have you use the table-of-contents on the side to click and drill down to what you want (however, it’s broken right now so the user experience kind of stinks).

EDIT: Never mind, you explained it further below in a comment haha. I’ve responded to it.

Yeah this is interesting – let me see what I can whip up. I like it.

Targeting mid-July. Things got kinda backed up with UL, but I’m trying to be very conservative here with this date!

Yeah, I’m trying to figure out why it’s doing that. It’s a plug-in I had to install (table-of-contents plug-in) so I don’t have a ton of control over it. I think I’ll likely have to rename things so they’re not the same.

That’s an interesting assumption and I hadn’t thought about it. How I was looking at it was that many people actually don’t know what they have, but they know what they want (ie: I want to use two smart switches, or I prefer an aux switch, or I guess I’m good w/leaving my dumb switch).

Then when the time comes, they open up their gang-box and go… oh crap, I’m not sure what a neutral or non-neutral setup is. I better check the diagrams against what I ordered and just hope they can accomplish what they set out to do (ie: I want to just use a dumb switch, but now that I opened up my box, I realize none of these diagrams match up with what I have – now I need to understand if I have a neutral or not… I don’t, ok, well, I guess I have to order an aux switch).

Throwing the question back at you – how do you approach your projects? Do you know what your wiring is before you purchase things or do you kind of, “wing” it and see what happens? Genuinely curious as I’m a huge believer in user experience and making it simple!

Great question – I honestly don’t know!

Ugh… I have gone back and forth on this. Looks like I’m going to have to make some changes haha.

Reminds me of the HUB all-caps error @BertABCD1234 called me out on a long time ago – I’ve never forgotten that haha.

4 Likes

My pre-order is in!

Dang you guys are fast – Thank you so much, that really means a lot – I decided to do a soft release (ie: not tell anyone) until Sunday, but you’re on top of things! Honestly, I’m going to send you a mug as well as the guy who ordered 1 minute after you lol. I’m seriously impressed :slight_smile:

We’ll send it out on Monday!

5 Likes

He probably set up a Hubitat automation to keep checking your site for live pre-orders … Haha
I pre-ordered a couple to check out.

1 Like

My pre-order is in too! I was so excited to see the updates today. Congrats to you and your teams!

1 Like

Just placed my order too. Good job guys!!

1 Like

Thank you @jimhim, @rpulivella (beta team was actually talking about you the other day ironically, we miss you man!), and @thanatar - that really means a lot.

I want to take a quick moment to acknowledge the beta testers. I hadn’t planned on typing this up until Sunday, but here we go.

These guys have put in countless hours - hours they could be spending with family, friends, or heck just some alone time - to help us come out with (what we think) the best switch on the market. I’m so pumped that this is coming to fruition, especially during a time where things have been difficult.

It’s not even just beta testing these guys have done, I’m talking about writing SmartApps, making sure Home Assistant integrations are completed, helping Maycock with device handlers and drivers and literally working late hours to talk through various parameters and how they should be implemented.

This wasn’t just a, “here you go guys, can you test this” type deal - this was a genuine, “let’s build this together” project and I can honestly say that it was the most fun I’ve ever had (and am still having) in my 5 years with Inovelli.

The beta testers have been bound to an NDA so there hasn’t been much that has been said outside of my and Maycock’s perspective, but I’d like to publicly release the NDA and allow the beta testers to chip in and answer any questions or comment if they’d like.

We’re extremely pumped about this and I firmly believe that this will be the best switch to hit the market hands down. No one comes close!

7 Likes

You guys created an amazing product. I am moving into a new house and I am so excited to make it smart, and when I started researching smart switches, I kept seeing person after person recommend your products. I was bummed when I saw all of your switches were sold out, but I was so excited when I landed on this forum. I have been checking the forum at least 10 times a day for the past week and a half waiting for the pre-order.

Then I realized I could have it email me every time someone posted. So as soon as that guy posted on the forum - I stopped what I was doing and immediately ordered 6 minutes later.

I am so excited for this - I cannot to install these switches in my home. You all should be proud of the community and product you have developed.

1 Like

So this switch is pretty amazing.

3 Likes