Zigbee 2-1 Switch (On/Off & Dimmer) | Project New Horizon (Blue Series)

Any chance those are any BRI or ISDN chips? May need to buy some for work….

2 Likes

A compromise here would be to break up the BAR into segments (1/3s?) If you have 7 LEDs, do top 2, middle 3, and bottom 2. That gives you 3 separate notifications top/middle/bottom. 8 LEDs and you might be able to get away with 4 notification of 2 LEDs each (or 1 lit LED, off, lit LED, off , lit LED, off, lit LED,etc.) With them being different colors that may be enough to differentiate even with the diffuser.

Agreed. Their multi button switch is sex-y.

What one wets your whistle? Curious what all the fuss is about!

Speaking from no experience whatsoever, but this is pretty cool, especially that you can change the buttons around along with the config.

Edit - just noting also, it appears to be around $200?

1 Like

That being said, I don’t have a preference of on the faceplate having screws or not.

I would rather hace a 2 gang box with scene selection in one and dimming on the other.

Also as a parent I hate the Casa switches, I would run into the kids room and accidentally hit the on button and flip the lights to 100%. Their design is horrible, forget all the reviews of how easy it is to set up and if they just work. If I can’t get the lights to do what I want without effort it’s not worth it.

I also have to say, let’s not take price point out of perspective. I don’t see it in my furniture to put in control4 into my house. The only way I see that happening is rolled into a large remodel or new build.
I would love to have panelized lighting in my house, but I would love to drive a sports car not a mini van.

2 Likes

EnOcean is a German company founded in 2001, in 2008 they started the EnOcean Alliance to push their standard which is a game changer, because of the low power and energy harvesting that you mentioned. It’s amazing, and I don’t get why it would be in a wired light switch.

1 Like

@jrperry – those are pretty cool! Is it the convex button design you like vs the flat design? Or what is it about the switch that you like? Tactile feel?

Thanks for sharing!

Oh yeah, sorry, meant to clarify that I meant it seems like a new direction for Hue (not EnOcean is new). Either way, yeah it definitely is really cool technology and that button press switch w/no wires or battery is awesome.

Exactly – I’m so confused!

Project Update: Figured I’d at least pop in to say that we’re still trucking on this one – we’re on firmware v7 right now and working out some of the remaining bugs, but more or less the team is working through some user experience choices now that these have been installed for a couple months.

As mentioned earlier, all the main features (scenes, notifications, energy monitoring, etc) have all been verified to work, what we’re working on (and should be in v8) is the individually addressable LED’s. This is a major update as it requires not just that the colors are solid, but also adding effects to them (ie: LED 7 pulse purple, LED 3 slow blink red, etc).

Below is what the engineer sent over as he was testing this feature – looks awesome actually (kind of like our favorite Rainbow Aurora). In this example, LED 1 is pulsing green, LED 3 is fast blinking blue, and LED 7 is pulsing red:

Outside of that, we’re still working on the Hue integration. We have gotten binding to work outside of the Hue gateway using Hubitat and Home Assistant, but we can’t get it to work on the Hue gateway. We’ll see what happens.

12 Likes

Thanks for the update, Eric! Is Hue gateway integration considered a core feature or just best effort? Focus group of one: If I can get binding working directly between these dimmers and my hue bulbs/groups: I’ll drop the Hue gateway in a heartbeat and move all my bulbs to zigbee2mqtt. I only keep my Hue hubs around for when homeassistant goes down and I can’t control my hue lights via my (red) dimmers. Direct binding (I think) solves this entirely… in addition to real-time dimming, instant response times, etc… my credit card is ready to go for about 12 of these when they’re available!

1 Like

That looks awesome. Could add some green, yellow , and purple for Aurora.

1 Like

Yeah no problem!

It started off as a core feature that I really wanted because the smart bulb + smart switch crowd is huge and we’ve had a lot of success with the Red Dimmers and the, “smart bulb mode”. I’m pretty active on Reddit and the Hue sub has been asking for a hardwired solution for a long time. Lutron Aurora solved this (sort of) but it’s a dial so that’s a turn off to some.

So, knowing Hue ran off ZigBee, this was a major driver for us to start with the ZigBee route to go down the path to Matter. Amazon Echo integration was the other main factor, but Hue was the lead.

It’s been very disheartening and frustrating that we can’t pull it off right now and are not getting any help. But, I also understand that’s just how business is as we ran into this before with our Z-Wave switches not integrating with hubs in the past bc those hubs chose what manufacturers to work with. It wasn’t until we got big enough where customers kept bugging them that they gave in and added us. I’m hoping that happens with Hue, but it’s a long shot.

To answer your question – it’s become a best effort now as I believe the features and benefits for the initial launch outweigh the Hue integration and most people purchasing the initial batch have a smart hub of some sort as word needs to get out that these will work without a hub (Amazon Echo).

Long winded way of saying, we’ll launch this product with or without Hue integration.

The good news is we’ve gotten binding to work via Home Assistant and Hubitat (working on ST) so you should be good :slight_smile:

What we’re also trying to do is work on the hubless binding option as, in theory, the hub bulbs can be directly bound without a hub per their website.

Will your zigbee switches work with zigbee2mqtt?

1 Like

I’m 99.99% sure we’re actively testing this, but let me ask.

Edit: Yes, we’re testing zigbee2mqtt – works great!

3 Likes

Great news. This is the best zigbee platform IMO…especially for home assistant users.

1 Like

Wow these switches impress me more and more! So is there any way to get these working with HomeKit now or will I need to buy a Zigbe hub as well? If I do need to buy the hub, fingers crossed that I will eventually be able to update them to work off of thread. If not, money well spent supporting Inovelli.

1 Like

I have learnt from my experience with my Casa light switch that I need a simple switch. It needs to be so intuitive that a sleep deprived parent won’t screw it up. This is why I love the design of your standard switch.

If I want scene control that’s all I want. The two buttons on the bottom leave room for late night confusion. Yes completely understandable most of the time but leaves a window open for error in the middle of the night. The thing that sets those ones apart is I don’t need to look at the switch to find the right button. I can count up or down and it is an easy find. There is another company out there that does a 2 x 4 grid and I like the looks of that too, but I think the one I posted wins for the reason I stated.

I think my ideal setup would be in a 2 gang box. One gang would be the standard switch, with a default set of controls programmed into it. The other would be the scene buttons that modifies the function of the on off switch. Then there could be a delay programmed I to the switch to turn it back to its defaults.

1 Like

Is the plan to still have children devices for disabling physical control and remote control in smartthings?

YES!! The multi color is what I’ve been missing. So does that mean, and I may have missed it, but does that mean I could have 3 notifications all with different colors displayed?