ZigBee Fan Switch | Project Zephyr (Blue Series)

Bump @EricM_Inovelli.

Could you confirm that there is no power monitoring and temperature monitoring?

I’m not EricM (both Erics are very busy these days :wink: )

But I am one of the beta testers and I wrote the Hubitat device driver. The VZM35 Blue Fan Switch does NOT have power monitoring, but it DOES have internal temperature monitoring.

1 Like

To clarify that’s the switch’s internal temp and not the room temp

Or outsides temperature.

thanks for the clarifiers. Yep, its an INTERNAL temp sensor, not room nor outside :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yes, we just confirmed this yesterday and are trying to figure out what the course of action is. Manufacturer’s aren’t just supposed to change the bill of materials without letting us know.

What they told us is that they swapped out the LED’s with better ones (at first I thought this was just them saying it, but upon testing, it’s actually a much better LED when comparing certain colors against each other) and also they are much more efficient from a heat perspective.

That said, they still need to tell us when they do things like this as it leads to issues like this.

The net of it is that the latest batch of Red 2-1’s, Blue 2-1’s and Fan switches all have the same LED’s in it – the original couple of batches of Blue 2-1’s have the different LED’s in them that don’t match the new batch.

What the manufacturer has offered to do is figure out if a firmware change can be accomplished or look for ways to tweak the settings (via intensity or color values) to get them as close as possible.

Yeah, this is the most noticeable one. At first, when I was alerted to the color change, I saw the blue and went, “yeah, ok, that does look different, but I’m sure it can be solved via tweaking a few things”, but then I changed it to white and dang… I must say the new white looks awesome though.

Yeah, this was brought to my attention too and I confirmed with the manufacturer that they did not change the diffuser, but it is weird that at certain angles you can see the LED’s.

I agree with this enhancement, really good idea!

We hadn’t even considered this to be honest. All the fan controls I’ve ever played with have had the hold to change speeds, so it never crossed my mind to include something like this.

But, you guys definitely aren’t the only ones who’ve asked for this feature (unless you both are blowing up the ticket system under different aliases lol jk) and I think it would be a fairly simple firmware upgrade.

Let me see if we can add this to a future firmware release! I’ll put it in GitHub right now :slight_smile:

Thanks for the suggestion!

Good suggestion to put them in the manual. I’ve been revamping the Knowledge Base and trying to make it more user friendly, so I’ll add this to the scene control section or something.

Just confirming, although @mamber is correct – no power/temp monitoring in the switch – just an internal temperature monitor that is there to prevent overheating.

All, if I missed something, let me know – I’m just getting caught up!

4 Likes

Will any future switches such as project Linus use the exact same LED?

I would presume that all switches going forward will use the newer LED’s.

Reason: The old LED’s are no longer available anywhere in China. Looks like they updated them and no longer produce the older ones.

The older ones = Blue = Cyan color temperature
The newer ones = Blue = Darker, true blue temperature

1 Like

@Eric_Inovelli and @EricM_Inovelli, what is the path forward to fix the Home Assistant ZHA issue?

In summary, Home Assistant (ZHA) is erroring trying to query the switch for “active power reports”, but as there is no power monitoring in this switch it is causing the rest of the device capability discovery to fail.

2023-10-23 13:40:34.917 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.zha.core.cluster_handlers] [0x239C:1:0xfc31]: 'async_initialize' stage failed: 'active_power_reports'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/zha/core/helpers.py", line 338, in wrapper
    return await func(cluster_handler, *args, **kwargs)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/zha/core/cluster_handlers/__init__.py", line 380, in async_initialize
    await self._get_attributes(
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/zha/core/cluster_handlers/__init__.py", line 491, in _get_attributes
    read, _ = await self.cluster.read_attributes(
              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/site-packages/zigpy/zcl/__init__.py", line 501, in read_attributes
    attrid = self.attributes_by_name[attribute].id
             ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^^^^^^^^^^^
KeyError: 'active_power_reports'

Is it as simple as updating the ZHA quirk, or will fixing the issue require a firmware upgrade?

I’m going to have to defer to @EricM_Inovelli on this one. Is anyone else facing this out of curiosity? Sorry, haven’t monitored the forums as well as I should’ve so I’m genuinely asking.

I believe it’s going to end up being an HA update and not something that can be overridden by changing the quirk, but there’s an issue open with the ZHA github.

Does HA check every device for active_power_report? The current quark copies all of the attribute list that is queried from the VZM31SN cluster and then removes a couple of attributes such as active_power_report. Is that the correct way of handling this device? I would have expected the quirk to query the VZM35SN directly for it’s capabilities.

Sorry, I don’t mean to drag this discussion too deep technically. Happy to move this discussion to a better forum to discuss this issue, I just want to know the right place to track the resolution to this. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Thanks for the update Eric! I appreciate all of the hard work and dedication as always.

Any suggestions for how to get button presses working in ZHA? Right now the switch isn’t firing any events for button presses.

In this case I believe it’s checking both the 2-1 and fan switches since they both use the same Inovelli cluster ID and the HA code just references that ID. Re the copy/remove, that was done by me after talking to one of the main ZHA devs who recommended it be done that way. If you go to the device page and manage it through that UI, you’ll see all the options work there, just having the issue with the frontend piece.

Got it… in that case, how do we expose the LED settings HA then? :smiley: I assumed that the power error was causing the query to fail of the LED settings, but maybe I was down a rabbit trail. haha

Thanks all, I really appreciate all of the hard work!

1 Like

From the device Page > 3 dots to “Manage zigbee device” (this one is from a 2-1, but it’s the same step)

Change the cluster to the Inovelli_VZM35SN_Cluster and pick the parameter you want:

Use “Read Attribute” if you need to check how it should look, but change the value and hit “Write Attribute” and that’ll push it.

(Also enjoy the per-led settings that are available there for both the 2-1 and fan switches if you’re so inclined :slight_smile: )

Ya, I am tracking that I can change the settings directly via the cluster commands, but I was hoping to have the drag slider like we have on the VZM31-SN.

Screenshot 2023-10-26 at 5.04.08 PM

1 Like

Oh my apologies, yeah, that’s pending the issue getting fixed with it tripping on the active_power_reports.

1 Like

Okay cool! I am glad I am following. :slight_smile: is there a GitHub issue where that bug is being tracked, or is that the ZigPy issue that I am already following?

Thanks!

1 Like

It’s the one you’re already following, hope to get some traction on it soon. Absolutely!