ZigBee Fan Switch | Project Zephyr (Blue Series)

Yes! This was brought up in original 2-1 discussions. Glad it’s being looked at. One note is I would like to extend the timer by pressing on again and have it reset the timer. Current timer doesn’t reset when up paddle is pressed.

Worked with the engineer on it and it doesn’t theoretically seem that there should be a problem. The switch outputs a full sine wave output as AC which is what the fan is expecting. He tested a similar load with a DC motor (with an AC input) and was able to switch the device on and off repeatedly without any issue. I would think they would need this device or another one with the problem to test in their lab. I’ll check to see if they can get a hold of one.

I’m experiencing the same behavior with a WhisperGreen. FV-0511VKSL2

Thank you! I understand that this is just one of your projects and debugging is hard and unpredictable. Keep up the good work!

Here is a question. I know that the standard 2-in-1s aren’t rated for inductive loads, but is the WhisperGreen truly an inductive load any more? Granted I don’t know entirely how they designed the driver, but it has an AC-DC converter and some sort of circuitry to “slow start” the fan. I’m not clear if there is any protection for back EMF in their circuit. At high speed it only draws 12.9W (0.1A). So it should easily be handled by a 2-in-1. Curious others thoughts…

Typically, transformers are used to step down the voltage, which is then rectified to get DC. The transformer is used so that the AC is isolated from the DC. I couldn’t find any details regarding the control circuit. But if they are using a transformer, that will would still make it an inductive load.

Interesting. It’s got a ramped start, so it’s gotta have some circuitry. If it wasn’t in my ceiling I’d pull it apart.

I have tried it at home; I had a Red 2-in-1 (VZW31-SN) and I connected it to the WhisperGreen. It starts. It stops. It starts. It stops. It starts. It stops… it works fine!

@Eric_Inovelli - what is the exchange policy? I had two Zephyrs that I have opened and installed in the two bathrooms (and another one unopened). May I swap them for Red 2-in-1s, if this solution is electrically safe and stable?

Left the WhisperGreen running for an hour. No problems. The electric consumption is reported at 15W (running at 80CFM)

Neither the Red nor the Blue 2-1 switches are rated for fans or inductive loads. I would not continue to use one to drive your fan.

2 Likes

The question is - does WhisperGreen behave like an inductive load, like a typical fan? I’m not even trying to “dim” it - I am purely interested in on/off capability since I can perform automation actions in response to the relative value of the humidity sensor in the bathroom compared with the main room.

Your simplest safest option is likely to put in a smart mini relay instead to drive the fan. Inovelli doesn’t make one, but I believe Aeotec or Zooz have one. You can then put a 2-1 in front of it and use bindings (for zigbee) or associations (for Z-Wave) to link the two. I’ve done that in a few places where I have LED transformers in the ceiling.

1 Like

That was what I was thinking. Just need to find a good relay module for zigbee

I’ve not found any that are UL or ETL rated so I’ve avoided using Zigbee and stuck with Z-Wave for my bathroom fans (I have both Z-Wave and Zigbee networks running throughout my house).

Aeotec apparently makes a new one called the pico that is zigbee. I ordered one.

Nice - it looks like it’s ETL rated as well. But woah - that price is nuts. You can get two of Zooz Z-Wave ones (ZEN51) and pay for shipping and it’s still cheaper than Aeotec Pico. Usually it’s the other way around.

1 Like

Yeah thankfully I don’t need a ton of them…

Aeotec does make nice stuff, but their prices have gotten really insane in recent years… I’m willing to pay handsomely for good gear, but they’ve been on my “only if absolutely no other choice exists” list for a while now.

And sheesh Aeotec, “Pico”?? Really?

Simplest? It adds one more point of failure to the network at an additional cost for the relay and for installation (while I can swap a switch, I need to pay an electrician to go into the attic and add the relay.)

What can be the consequences of running the WhisperGreen off the 2-in-1 switch (configured as On/Off)?

1. Damage to the fan
  2. Damage to the Inovelli switch
  3. Damage to the electrical circuit

I am quite keen on having only one smart device connected to the fan, so I’m hoping either in a firmware fix for the Zephyr, or Inovelli confirming that this particular fan model can be controlled by a 2-in-1. After all, the fan itself has a switch for three different speeds, and also has a slot for a plug-in module that adds even more intermediary speed levels. I think the inductive portion of the circuit is already isolated from the wall switch, but I am not an EE so I would need somebody to confirm.

Other users have melted switches using the 2-1 with an inductive load. AFAIK, those switches were using trailing edge. It was a serious enough issue that the firmware was pulled. Not sure if any of them was using leading edge.