Zigbee Group Binding not Updating Switch State

I created a group of three Hue Bulbs and a single Blue switch in SmartBulb mode and it mostly works as expected and the switch can control the bulbs and set brightness.

However, I noticed that the state of the switch does not update itself if I adjust the group from a control other than the Blue Switch. I.E. If I adjust the brightness or on/off state from a card HA that has the group’s entity setup, the switch doesn’t reflect the change.

I’m not sure this is expected behavior reflects a bug or reflects an error in my setup so I’d be eager to hear if anybody can point out anything amiss here.

HA 2022.11.3
Z2M 1.28.2
Blue Firmware 2.0.8

I followed this guide to setup the bindings and groups: Inovelli Blue Series | Advanced Features - Zigbee Group Binding with Home Assistant (Zigbee2MQTT) - YouTube to bind a Blue 2-1 switch to a group of three Hue bulbs using Zigbee2MQTT.

You want to select end point two not one on the switch. I think that video is old.

Thanks for the suggestion! I switched it to endpoint 2 but unfortunately no change in behavior.

Doh! Got it wrong from memory. You want EP1 in the group and EP2 as the source device bind selection.
Edit: Do you see any errors in the logs?

Yep, that was what it was, thanks!

Unfortunately, now I’m seeing an issue in HA where I have controls for each of the lights individually and the group. If I adjust the group’s state or brightness control, the controls for each of the individual lights is laggy or doesn’t reflect the change at all even though the lights all behaved correctly nearly instanly.

In the Z2M logs I see an error:
Publish 'set' 'brightness' to 'Bedroom Lights' failed: 'TypeError: Cannot read properties of undefined (reading 'rampRateOnToOffRemote')'

I’m not sure what to make of that since rampRateOnToOffRemote is not being changed at all in the set topic:

{
  "state": "ON",
  "brightness": 200
}
1 Like

I see the same issue. I’ll see if i can figure anything out

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll keep messing around with it on my end too.

2 Likes

@stu1811 @tigers
Did y’all ever figure this out?

I am seeing similar issues w/ my new HA/Z2M setup involving some blue switches and some Sengled bulbs grouped.

Basically, if try to change a setting on that group device in HA, it’ll sometimes change the lights, and sometimes it won’t. If I click it enough times, it usually gets there. Each time it seems to throw this type of error message in the Z2M logs.

We are supposed to have the Inovelli switches inside the Zigbee group, right? I read that in a couple of places.

error 2024-02-05 17:32:47: Publish 'set' 'brightness' to 'media_rear_lights' failed: 'TypeError: Cannot read properties of undefined (reading 'rampRateOnToOffRemote')'
debug 2024-02-05 17:32:47: TypeError: Cannot read properties of undefined (reading 'rampRateOnToOffRemote')
    at Object.convertSet (/app/node_modules/zigbee-herdsman-converters/src/devices/inovelli.ts:1213:39)
    at Publish.onMQTTMessage (/app/lib/extension/publish.ts:249:36)
    at EventEmitter.wrappedCallback (/app/lib/eventBus.ts:174:17)
debug 2024-02-05 17:32:47: Publishing 'set' 'color' to 'media_rear_lights'