ZigBee Fan Switch | Project Zephyr (Blue Series)

Thanks again!

Just did a quick scan and there are a TON more Zigbee-enable ceiling fans out there now just at Home Depot too. Things are really heating up in this space v. when I started out in it.

I really appreciate the conversation here. I’m going to loop in my electrician next.

2 Likes

That’s not good. Fans are supposed to cool. :rofl:

2 Likes

Is this fan switch still planned for release around the same time as the 2-1 Zigbee switch, or will it be a couple months behind?

1 Like

A few months behind, unfortunately. We have the sample units, but haven’t been able to fully test them yet bc we’re waiting on the 2-1 switch firmware to be completed.

The good news is I don’t think (knock on wood) we will experience that much of a delay since a lot of the firmware is identical.

The challenge with the 2-1 is that it was a brand new manufacturer who slowly realized this wasn’t going to be a run-of-the-mill light switch haha.

2 Likes

On the bright side they get to help redefine what a “smart” switch actually means. So they will be ahead of the game when everyone else catches up :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is this switch going to have a canopy module like the red switch does or is this going to be the more traditional wired control? I would love the option to have the canopy module as only half of my fans in my house are wired to a switch and those are only on/off. Having a canopy module would make it easy to retrofit every fan.

I believe it’s supposed to be canopy less. Wired directly to the fan for speed control.

1 Like

I wonder if they could reuse the same design/module from the reds. The switch to canopy was not Z-Wave correct? It was just some proprietary communication near the wifi range?

Alternatively, are there plans to have a ZigBee brother to the LZW36’s since this switch seems to take a different approach in not only appearance but underlying design too.

Anyone know of any ZigBee canopy modules? I know Home Depot sold one a while back for Wink under the Hampton Bay name, but I think that is discontinued. I also found one from Sonoff that can be flashed to Tasmota/ESPHome. But having something like the LZW36 would be ideal.

1 Like

It seems like the “ideal” would be a dual switch (Zigbee or ZWave) that could be wired to a ceiling (or bathroom) fan/light. And also a Zigbee/ZWave canopy module.
So the dual switch would be wired (if possible) or could be set up in smart mode and associated to the canopy. Also, the dual switch wouldn’t necessarily have to be used with a fan/light, but could be wired/associated as we like. And conversely, the canopy module could be associated with 2 full size dimmers & not use the dual switch.
As a separate decision, would we want the dual switch to look like the LZW36, with big on/off buttons & narrow up/down rockers. Or just with 2 big(ish) rockers - each working the same way as the current dimmers?

4 Likes

I really like the idea of a Z* canopy module, it seems like it would be more responsive and if it happened to have an external antenna like the LZW36, I would hope it could be a fantastic router/repeater device

Dude check the HE forums, some guy posted a link to buy the KOF controller(zigbee) formally know as “wink” controller, directly from china

community.hubitat.com

2 Likes

I have a couple of the Hampton Bay modules going spare if you want to buy them. I had them listed on eBay but I think the listing has probably expired by now. PM me if you’re interested.

I Think I have Better Understanding About It but instead of telling you let me suggest you a blog where you can read and test about mouse clicking events and double clicking events

2 Likes

Love the positive outlook!

Confirming what @harjms said. We wanted to start out with a basic fan switch this time, but definitely have plans to repurpose the existing Z-Wave product. Just have to work through some things with our Z-Wave manufacturer first as we’ll probably have them work on the Zigbee version.

Just giving a project update as well – there really isn’t one right now as we’re still finishing the 2-1. We just received the last version of the firmware and it’s looking like there are only some small tweaks left, so I hope the fan version starts up within a month or so. Stay tuned!

5 Likes

Question: Is it possible to have the canopy module pair to two devices? IE if the existing fan remote was the correct frequency for instance it could be used in addition to the wall switch/smart controls? Or possibly you guys could make a remote?

Voice commands are great and all but sometimes I just want a quick button press to make something work and pulling out the phone and getting into the app also works but a remote is quick, easy and most of the time you dont even have to look at it.

(edit)
Just noticed this is simply a fan dimmer switch, the dual dimmer like the existing Zwave one is what I was just assuming this would be. All of my fans have lights.

If you have a double gang like some then a fan switch paired with a 2N1 will work nicely.

I don’t think you can pair the canopy to a second device. But if you want button control, you ought to be able to use a button to control the fan switch via an automation.

1 Like

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but does this have a dedicated light and fan switch, or would we use a scene or something to switch between light and can and then adjusting the relevant component? Also can I use these switches in a bathroom?

1 Like

Regarding your first question, it’s the latter. This is a single paddle switch designed to control a ceiling fan. It will have multi-tap scene capability, so you can control the fan’s light(s) via scenes. This presumes smart bulb(s) in the fan, or a smart switch physically controlling the bulb(s) in the fan. If the smart bulbs are Zigbee, you can probably control them via Zigbee binding if your hub supports that.

Regarding your second question, I presume that you don’t have a ceiling fan in your bathroom and are asking if you can use this switch with a bathroom exhaust fan. I’m not 100% sure, but I’m inclined to say maybe not. This is a fan speed controller and I’m not sure that exhaust fans are designed to work at multiple speeds as ceiling fans are. Exhaust fans are typically controlled by a switch. The blue 2 in 1 might work for that although it has not yet been released or AFAIK, tested with an exhaust fan.

2 Likes

so if i would like to control normal lights in the fan, i would need to either use 2 of these, or 1 of these and 1 2 in 1 for the regular light. nuts