Zigbee / Matter Motion Switch | Project Linus (Blue Series)

Not right now. Currently the switch will only be produced in Zigbee and zwave variants and based on the performance of the 2-1 Thread/Matter version and what capabilities will be supported by Thread, Inovelli will decide at what point they pursue a Thread version.

Thank you rohan!! This might be the wrong place to ask but will I be able to control “pure” thread bulbs (such as the Nanoleaf essentials) with this switch using Home Assistant as a bridge?

The switch won’t directly be able to, but you’d be able to write automations using the scene controls to do so.

will I be able to control … with this switch using Home Assistant as a bridge?

Basically yes, for anything that you put in the blank. That’s kind of the point of both this switch and home assistant in general. You will probably have enough latency to notice, though, just by going through home assistant locally to change protocols.

I may be missing it, but has there been any update on timeline recently? Are these still expected to ship in December?

Great question – I’ve updated monthly via Indiegogo, but I should probably get a mailing list together or something as some people haven’t ordered through Indiegogo.

To catch you up to the parade if you’ve missed it, the last update I mentioned that we would have to push back the production schedule as we really wanted to push to add in lux monitoring which we ended up being able to do. This caused a delay.

This month, we also ran into a snafu in that the mmWave sensor we were going to use tested poorly (HiLink) and their specs did not match what we were promised. I think they were hoping we wouldn’t test the module prior to purchasing it or something as we tested their module alongside two other ones that were similar size and theirs performed the worst. Very disappointing.

We’ve settled on a new mmWave sensor that has a better field of view (150° as opposed to 120°) and tested the best. Much of the month was spent negotiating the price, redesigning the PCB and testing.

All this has caused a three month delay with most of the delay coming from Chinese New Year. We’re targeting March 25, 2024 for Mass Production.

That said, a three month delay in exchange for a lux sensor + a better mmWave sensor than what we originally scoped seems like a fair tradeoff. Disappointing, but it could be worse.

I will update the timeline shortly.

12 Likes

Thanks for the update! While I’m eagerly awaiting these devices, I will gladly wait a few months for a better mmWave sensor and a lux sensor. The increased FOV will be a huge improvement too. Thank you for all of your hard work on this project!

Edit: I just re-mapped out my floor plan and the 150° FOV is a HUGE improvement over the 120° version. The room coverage is so much better—no more gaps in coverage in key places!

4 Likes

Also just updated the timeline. I didn’t realize I hadn’t had it in there - there’s a lot that goes into this project, so I tried to make it as detailed as possible for everyone.

Timeline (Estimated)

The initial timeline will be shown below once released and will be updated monthly (if needed).

Phase 1 - ID Design

Design & Render Based on Samples and STP File
  Est Completion Date: Aug. 19, 2023

Structure Design
  Est Completion Date: Oct. 12, 2023

3D Modeling
  Est Completion Date: Sep. 30, 2023

3D Print Housing for Prototype Sample Assembly

First mmWave Radar Type Election Test
  Est Completion Date: Sep. 09, 2023

First Testing Environment
Ceiling Installation, Wall Installation (Open Area), Facing Door, Facing Window, Near Fan & AC Unit

First Test Different Human Status Indoors
Motion, Micro-Motion, Stationary Status

Second mmWave Radar Type Election Test
  Est Completion Date: Oct. 24, 2023

Second Testing Environment
Ceiling Installation, Wall Installation (Open Area), Facing Door, Facing Window, Near Fan & AC Unit
  Est Completion Date: Oct. 24, 2023

Second Test Different Human Status Indoors
Motion, Micro-Motion, Stationary Status
  Est Completion Date: Oct. 09, 2023

Submit Report on mmWave Testing Specific to Avoiding False Positives
  Est Completion Date: Oct. 26, 2023

Submit Details of Default mmWave Configuration for Customer Feedback
  Est Completion Date: Nov. 01, 2023

PCB Layout Design & PCBA Making

Schematic Diagram Design

Power Board Schematic Diagram

Wireless Board Schematic Diagram

Firmware Design & Test
  Est Completion Date: Nov. 20, 2023

Phase 2 - Detailed Design

Hand Sample Making
  Est Completion Date: Nov. 15, 2023

Hand Sample Testing & Verification
  Est Completion Date: Nov. 20, 2023

Tooling Build Out & Testing
  Est Completion Date: Dec. 20, 2023

Packing Design (Functional Card, Inner Tray, etc)
  Est Completion Date: Dec. 06, 2023

Phase 3 - Beta Testing

Create Beta Units
  Est Completion Date: Dec. 15, 2023

Round 1 Firmware Test
  Est Completion Date: Dec. 29, 2023

Round 2 Firmware Test
  Est Completion Date: Jan. 08, 2024

Round 3 Firmware Test
  Est Completion Date: Jan. 18, 2024

Final Firmware Test
  Est Completion Date: Jan. 28, 2024

Marketing Material

Manual Creation
  Est Completion Date: Jan. 15, 2024

Box Design

Insert, Wiring Guide, etc

Certifications

Zigbee/CSA
  Est Completion Date: Feb. 15, 2024

FCC/IC

ETL

Mass Production

Mass Production
  Est Completion Date: Mar. 25, 2024

9 Likes

Completion on March 25th? My birthday happens to be the 26th, any chance you’ll overnight me the first ones off the line? :slight_smile:

An overnight from China?! That’ll cost you $3,483.75! :grinning:

2 Likes

Don’t forget to update the product/pre-order page too! Currently still says expected in December 2023 with the caveat that it can change.

Also I would expect the link to go to this forum page, but it just goes to the same product page.

Can you share more info (videos) on this testing? I’m very curious to see how you are looking to potentially solve the ceiling fan issue for mmwave.

At this point, most people’s experience/exposure to mmwave motion sensors is Aqara or home-built ones which tend to have VERY advanced motion sensing software that is extremely configurable and can have detection zones, counting people in a room, etc.

I would suspect that might not be possible with a Zwave/Zigbee specced motion sensor, but are there going to be advanced configuration settings for motion sensing? What are the possibilities? Any cool advanced features you are trying to work into the drivers that would provide some of the Aqara functionality? Or, is this going to be an advanced motion/presense sensor that reports motion/presence in an on/off manner through Zigbee/Zwave specs?

1 Like

Hi Inovelli Team,
You had to know this one was going to come from me… :slight_smile:

Any chance we could launch the switches with colored paddles (personal bias/preference for black and gray) at the same time?

Thought it was worth reaching out and asking. I’m sure it’s on the radar (pun intended) somewhere…
-Jonathan

Project Update I shared on Indiegogo:

Good evening everyone,

Well, I have some good news and some bad news. Let’s start with the bad. As I alluded to last update, we’ve had to push back production due to us wanting to add in the lux sensor and in doing so, we had to revamp the PCB.

In addition to that delay, we have been vigorously testing a certain mmWave sensor, which based on their sales team, could do everything we wanted while also maintaining a small profile to fit inside the switch. Turns out, as we started testing for quality control and for other false positives, the sensor failed. This was surprising to us as this sensor has been praised all over the internet and is even used by a lot of people in the Home Assistant community (HiLink).

Upon talking with their sales team further, they admitted that they aren’t actually the manufacturer for this chip, but rather they get it from a different company and they have no control over the firmware. Not only that, but the sales specs listed aren’t true.

This was very disappointing and we had to go out and find an alternative.

This brings me to the good news.

Upon researching, we found another module that performed exeptionally and passed all our internal tests. Not only that, but the field of view is 150 degrees (as opposed to the 120 degrees we’ve been promising – which turned out to be one of the things the original company lied about – we were seeing 60 degrees tops).

That said, we’ve had to redesign the PCB again for the new module, but we’re just wrapping up Phase 1, which is the hardest and longest phase (the building and testing of the hardware).

We will be receiving our beta samples on December 15th which will give us a solid month or two to really test and finalize the product. Luckily, during this time, a lot of the certifications can be done in parallel.

Our latest estimate for production now is end of March.

I know this is dissapointing, but I do want to say, I truly believe this is a much better product than we originally promised, which I’m excited about.

Any questions, I’m happy to answer!

Eric

Founder | Inovelli

6 Likes

Nice, here’s to March Birthday’s (mine is the 5th and my daughter’s is the 9th). I’ll do my best!

Good catch, just changed it!

Let me check with the manufacturer – I know they keep things pretty tight knit on their procedures (so are we honestly) as there’s a lot of competitors that scope out our community and I’d hate to give them a solution to the same problems we’re facing.

@EricM_Inovelli – can you take this one?

Haha, yeah we can push for the color paddles. I opened up the option online for ya!

So, they just flat-out lied to y’all this whole time? SMH.

Thanks for testing and making sure the final product will be good! More than happy to wait a few more weeks/months to get quality!

2 Likes

With this new mmWave sensor is there a chance of having adjustable settings to it? Have a few situations that may actually cause some issues with motion.

1. One of my bedrooms and hallway lights are facing each other at an angle. I think its going to trigger my bedroom motion since it has the 150 degree angle even though I am in the hallway.
  2. One switch is in the back of the room and faces towards the open space. I could see using this to keep the lights on, but if we are watching a movie in this room I wouldn’t want the lights to turn back on.

Both situations I could use some automations to fix with possible other sensors but I was thinking along the lines of the aqara fp 2 features. Could we set a trigger if the motion is approaching closer or if the motion is within x distance or if motion is only detected from the left side of the switch. Since I cant really control the direction, distance, or angle my switches face into a room it would be nice to have the flexibility in the software.

2 Likes

Are there any details regarding what kind of field-of-view the mmWave sensors will have? I don’t know a ton about the technology, and I’m trying to figure out if these will likely work for the various rooms in my home.

Expecting it will be 150°:

During your acceptance testing, please also make sure you understand how the switches interfere with each other. I imagine there are likely a number of customers with switches that face each other, or which are within the potential bounce range, even if they aren’t directly facing each other.

Interference will likely be one of:

• Always detecting presence
  • Never detecting presence
  • Falsely detecting presence irregularly
  • Repeatedly falsely detecting presence at some interval of seconds to minutes to hours

Manufacturing tolerances may be sloppy enough to prevent this from typically happening, but if there’s a strobe frequency or delay adjustment on the part you ship, you may need to give us access to it.

1 Like