Zigbee On/Off Switch | Project Vernacular

If it’s an on/off switch, how can it be dimmed? :laughing:
Sorry, just being pedantic here… :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Don’t want to mess up the venacular on this one…

5 Likes

Haha, I’m looking forward to all the puns and sticklers here :rofl:

For dimming, it won’t be able to physically dim anything, but it will be able to send digital signals to a dimmer switch or bulb if it’s Zigbee Bound to it.

3 Likes

Please, please, please keep the full light bar and not the single led that the gen 2 switches had!

1 Like

You know that there’s going to be a load (inductive) of them coming… :wink:

1 Like

Glad to see you finally admitting defeat on this one. LOL

That said, what about a smart FAN mode for DC fans? Even though the Fan 2-1 is rated to handle them, I think this product is a better choice since, theoretically, it is passing the full voltage to the device without passing through the dimmer module like in the Fan switch. I know we’ve seen people run into some issues with certain DC fan devices with the fan 2-1.

Having the firmware able to control 3/4/5/6 fan speed for smart fans would be a nice touch.

2 Likes

Would this have dry contacts or a mode for dry contacts? For example, could I use it for a millivolt gas fireplace control (assuming I also had line voltage in the same box)?

2 Likes

I’m gonna guess probably not. Mate it with a relay.

Please make this with a standard Form-C relay (NO/COM/NC)!

If you need “wet contacts” simply wire-nut the LINE and COM leads together.
This way, the switch could be used for other Non-Mains-Power applications (millivolt heating system was already mentioned, low voltage lighting, garage door openers, etc.)

Please make sure both the AC and DC ratings of the relay are called out in the datasheet/manual.

Totally! Never going back – in this case, bigger is ALWAYS better lol

LOL, you guys got me.

Yeah, that’s a good idea, we can throw that in there! I’ll capture it up in the notes and let @EricM_Inovelli know to include it in the tech doc!

Unfortunately not, but you reminded me of the one switch that I forgot to put in our arsenal. I’ll add it to the list for the future!

I’ll note this with the manufacturer – is this pretty common?

You got it!

2 Likes

The previous relay switches leaked current worse than the dimmers, so it would have to be different to work with the fans you mention. The leakage was due to a capacitor across the relay contacts, which serves as contact protection but also lets the switch get higher ratings for the size of relay.

1 Like

I really like this idea. It requires another terminal on the device.

That is something we have in firmware already for our other products (VZM35-SN) so it should be pretty easy to add. P263 lets you choose the levels for “Smart Fan Mode” so you can choose if your smart fan has 3, 4, 5, or 6 speeds.

I believe he is referring to a dry contact option, which you mentioned wasn’t going to be the case. I might be missing something though.

So this momentary idea - help me out here bc I am over my head with how this would work.

How would you add a momentary relay to a normal light switch?

It’s not a momentary relay. Both relay contacts connect to terminals so you can use the relay independent of the 120V connected to the L/N terminals. This lets the device control stuff that isn’t 120V compatible, like low voltage lights or heating.

Form C means 3 terminals. One is common and the common gets switched between the other 2 terminals.

Does this mean it’ll identify as a dimmer?

Project Update: No real update here – we just discussed internally about moving forward with a Zigbee and Thread/Matter version, but we’re looking for funding for a Z-Wave version as I know that’s important to a lot of people. More to come.

4 Likes

Ok, well this moved fast – we have officially kicked off this project by paying issuing a PO for the project. I will follow up once we have an official timeline from the manufacturer!

10 Likes

Project Update: The manufacturer has been working on the structure and should have it completed next week. It shares a lot of the same design as our current switches, but we’ve added in a temp/humidity sensor which required a little tweaking.

We have a ways to go due to the backlog of projects, so we won’t be able to start beta testing until July, but it’s great to see them working on the hardware.

5 Likes