Zwave JS LED Effects No Longer Working

I used to be able to set the effect for my Inovelli switches by setting each parameter in node red and ending with the effect to set. https://i.imgur.com/2zJSiTr.png

It seems that the switches all updated their firmware or something, because now when I try to set the effect I get the error “Call-service API error. Error Message: ‘Value’ object has no attribute ‘configuration_value_type’”.

I get the same behavior regardless of if I specify the parameter name or use the number and set the bitmask. I’ve also tried setting my value as it is shown in this calculator tool: Inovelli Switch Toolbox. Anyone else had experiences similar to this?

I get the same error in Home Assistant as I get in Node Red: https://i.imgur.com/roAcdu8.png

There are no recent firmware changes that would cause this error, and its working fine for me. One thing I did differently was to provide the parameter number instead of name:

service: zwave_js.set_config_parameter
target:
  entity_id: light.living_room
data:
  parameter: '16'
  value: '34999035'

Are you using zwavejs2mqtt? If so could you let me know which version you’re using? I’ll try matching mine to see if it will work.

I’m using:
zwavejs2mqtt: 3.2.1
zwave-js: 7.2.2

I am using

zwavejs2mqtt: 3.2.0
zwave-js: 7.1.1
Home Assistant 2021.4.0

I am going to try updating everything too see if it still works

I updated to the latest version, and its still working fine.

zwavejs2mqtt: 3.2.1
zwave-js: 7.2.2
Home Assistant: 2021.4.3

I can set the LED effect either through Home Assistant or NodeRED

For some reason it has started working again, I was just able to send through node red and home assistant. Having other issues now but thanks for your help on this!

I think I might see the issue. I think you are setting a partial parameter. When you use set_config_parameter in this way, you are sending 1 command for each partial parameter, even though it is a single config parameter under the hood. This can cause problems if the value you are sending causes another part of the partial parameter to contain an invalid value. It might be better to use the new bulk_set_partial_config_parameters service call instead

You can either break each partial parameter down:

service: zwave_js.bulk_set_partial_config_parameters
target:
  entity_id: light.fan_light_dimmer_current_value
data:
  parameter: '24'
  value:
    '255': 234
    '65280': 10
    '16711680': 30
    '2130706432': 4

Or pass a single value:

service: zwave_js.bulk_set_partial_config_parameters
target:
  entity_id: light.fan_light_dimmer_current_value
data:
  parameter: '24'
  value: 69077738

Yeah the bulk set partial config parameters seems to work for the dimmers. With the inovelli fan switches, I was setting some things as a string and some things as a number and it was giving me a weird error. I restarted Home Assistant and then passed everything as the same type and it seems to work. I prefer using the string since it’s clear what the value is supposed to be, but it works with all integers as well. They just all have to be the same type.

I cannot get this to work. I’ve tried encapsulating the values in strings, I’ve tried the device vs. the entity…

Doesn’t matter what I do, I always get a popup in the bottom corner that says:

I know it might be a Z-WaveJS2mqtt problem, but it’s hard to figure out where to report an issue on that, and this thread here is the closest I’ve been able to find to my problem. Is this still working for everyone else? Trying to figure out whether it’s widespread or just my setup.

I’m using:
Z-Wave JS to MQTT add-on 0.17.0
zwavejs2mqtt: 4.4.0
zwave-js: 7.5.2
Home Assistant 2021.5.5

The config parameter you are trying to change should be updated using the bulk set partial parameter service

That worked, thanks! I was looking at your screenshot from Node-RED on April 16 and it looked like you were able to set the same parameter without using the bulk parameter service…I read your other post but I’m not sure I get it. Are you saying that which service we need to use depends on the switch type (dimmer, switch, etc)?

Some changes were made to how parameters work back then.

In the device config files, some of the parameters are actually split up into multiple sub-parameters. For example, parameter 16 on the red series dimmer is a single parameter for the LED strip effect, but it is actually setting the LED effect color, brightness, duration, and type. The config file splits this out to make it easier to control the individual elements. I could have written the service call like this and gotten the same result:

or like this: