2 X LZW31-SN and Z-Wave Association Tool

Good morning,

Can you Z-Wave Associate a Red Series Dimmer switch (LZW31-SN) from anywhere in the house to control another Red Series Dimmer Switch (creating a 3-way) or does both switches have to be using the same wiring? Both location have a neutral.

Thanks

Justin

@Grosbiz - You will associate the dimmers using Z-Wave, so it does not need to utilize the same wiring. It can be on completely different circuits and have no issues. However, if you have a mansion, it may not reach from one side of the house to the other if there are no Z-Wave + devices in the middle.

So I should be able to use Inovelli’s Z-wave Association Tool without any issues? The switches are 20 feet apart.

@Grosbiz - Correct.

Will the extra switch be controlling any load or just using it to control the lights in another room? Any hub involved?

The extra(slave) switch would not be controlling any load. It would just be controlling the light with the first(Primary) Red Series Dimmer switch. I am using SmartThings. I have tried the Z-Wave Association tool and it does not seem to work. I temporarily programed two scenes until I figure out the Z-Wave association tool issues I am having. The first one is to turn on the light on the primary switch when I tap the “on” on the slave switch and the other scene is to turn off the lights on the primary switch when I tap the off on the slave switch. The only downfall with the scenes route is the delay and the fact that I can’t dim the light from the second dimmer.

@Grosbiz - Got it. Yea it should have no problems doing what you’re attempting; however, I haven’t used Z-Wave Association and I booted SmartThings almost a year ago for Hubitat. I see a lot of association issues on the forums and it’s usually a simple configuration issue. I’d call out to @EricM_Inovelli or @Eric_Inovelli as they are pretty fluent in the tool.

Hey @Grosbiz – happy to help here.

Just to confirm, the Primary Switch (ie: the one that sends the Associations to the Secondary) should not be connected to the load. The Secondary Switch should be connected to the Load. If you have it reversed, it won’t work as the switch connected to the load would be sending associations to the switch that is not connected to anything.

Also, I just wanted to confirm that both switches are paired with the same security (ie: S2 vs S0). To find out how your switch paired, you can check IDE (instructions can be found here: https://support.inovelli.com/portal/en/kb/articles/how-to-find-your-device-info-for-troubleshooting-smartthings#Finding_Your_Device_Information) under the Data section.

Hang in there, we’ll get you up and running!

Good afternoon Eric,

Here is a post I did a few days back without any feedback. Maybe the ST sub-forum was not the best place to post. Two Red series Dimmer 3-way not working with Association Tool

Basically, my Primary switch is the switch that has the load. I have that switch as the Destination Device in the Association tool. My Secondary switch(without the load) is set as the Source Device in the Association Tool.

Both Switch are both: networkSecurityLevel: ZWAVE_S2_FAILED

Thanks for the help.

Would it be worth excluding the devices and including the devices via ST Classic so that they join via S0 and not attempt S2?

2 Likes

I will try that.

Bingo. That did it.

Thanks for the help.

3 Likes