Blog & Article Feedback Overview

Rewards Points Opportunity!

Background

Hey all – wanted to introduce a new section and opportunity to get some free rewards points.

One of the areas we’ve been focusing on and an area that @anon88759745 has been making an impact here at Inovelli is our SEO strategy. For those that don’t know, SEO (search engine optimization) allows us to rank for certain keywords that are searched from within Google, Bing, etc. If we notice that certain keywords/phrases are being searched at a high volume, we would like to have our blog/article ranked on the first page so that potential customers can discover us via an engaging article.

So why are we asking our beloved community?

Great question – Google ranks sites based on various factors, one of them being engagement and relativeness. When someone searches a keyword, clicks on your blog, do they stay? If so, Google says, “ok, this blog is relevant towards this keyword”. But not only does the article need to be relevant, it needs to be engaging – in other words, do people skim the article or read through it? The amount of time spent on the page is also a key metric.

We’re asking the community to help us with this because we understand the power of the collective minds. Everyone has helped us create the best lighting products on the market, why not apply that same mindset to help us craft the best blog articles? Surely if we have articles that are created by the very people that would likely search Google (or have searched in the past) and are written by a collective group of smart home owners, they’ll be incredibly engaging and on point with who we’re trying to target.

Let’s goooooooo!

Opportunity

We’ll hand select various blog posts to have the community review and comment on. Each of these blogs will have a form that will have a series of questions we’d like you to answer for rewards points. These questions will help us craft the article and create relevant content.

So, quite simple – fill out the form and earn points.

We’ll also be posting where we currently rank on Google and if we reach our goal, everyone who contributes will earn bonus points, making this a true community effort!

2 Likes

Does Google even have the ability to measure engagement (i.e. time on a page) for search results? I was under the impression that was a metric only used for your own benefit when you employ Google Analytics.

That’s an excellent question – @anon88759745?

Google knows all!
Eye of Mordor

However, there is no ranking signal or end benefit for us when users scroll through the search engine results page (SERP) and not click on our link (other than us knowing the amount of impressions). I’m sure Google knows what you’re looking at regardless by use of where your mouse is and the optical center of your page alone in my opinion.

Once you’ve clicked our link, Time on Page and Dwell Time are great signals (among Google’s other several hundred signals) to determine if the content is being used, if it’s helpful, high quality and unique.

2 Likes

Curious as to how this works. I wouldn’t think Google would have any idea what goes on after a user leaves the SERP? I could see them getting this information if you voluntarily publish Google Analytics components within your pages to get those metrics, but otherwise I don’t imagine they’d have any knowledge of what’s going on.

Your browser, whether that’d be Chrome, Safari, or even Internet Explorer, use cookies to figure out who you are across the web. These are strings of numbers and text that are unique to each user. It helps users stay logged into frequently used websites, remembering what you left in your shopping cart, and more. They also provide insights to how a user interacts with specific websites.

I’m not too familiar with Bing, Safari’s, or other’s individual data policies but Chrome users have their interactions shared anonymously with Google (link clicks, sharing links, and more).

We use cookies to learn how users interact with our website and improve their experience. In Google Analytics, which is the analytics software we use, that information is anonymous to us. Alongside this, we aren’t able to track an individual or group of users across a site, only how they have interacted with our web pages (ex: 1,000 total users clicked on the Red Series Dimmer page and exited it within a minute on August 25th, 2021). Our Privacy Policy provides much more information about this topic.

3 Likes

Ah! Fascinating- so the browser itself sends metrics to Google. I’m familiar with cookies and Google Analytics, but I didn’t realize the browser itself participated in the collection of these metrics.

3 Likes