Blue 2-1 5 way confusion

I am attempting to set up a blue 2-1 (VZM31-SN) in a 5 way configuration (with neutral) and am having some trouble. As best as I can tell, my configuration is like in this diagram:

However, instead of replacing the end switch as shown, I am trying to replace one wired like the middle one (I think). I read that I’ll have to install the smart switch at the line in box, but if this one is not it, then it’s in another room and I want a smart switch here for LED notifications etc. Is there any way to install this switch here, or do I need an aux switch here or another 2-1 at the line in box? Here’s a picture of the wiring in this box:

Which lines are hot coming in vary depending on the position of the other switches, so I’m having trouble wrapping my head around what is what. Any help would be appreciated!

You are correct. That switch is in the middle of the run. Unfortunately, you cannot install a smart switch there retaining the other dumb switches, because as you noted, the hot will flip-flop between the two traveler conductors depending upon the positions of the switches.

If you want notifications there then you will have to replace all the switches with smart switches or use a combination of Aux and Blue. An Aux switch in the location you showed won’t help, because it won’t show notifications. However, you should be able to place the Inovelli in the middle of the run where you want it, and use Aux switches in the other locations so long as you don’t want notifications there.

[quote=“Bry, post:2, topic:15620, full:true”]
You are correct. That switch is in the middle of the run. Unfortunately, you cannot install a smart switch there retained the other dumb switches, because as you noted, the hot will flip-flop between the two traveler conductors depending upon the positions of the switches.[/quote]

Perfect. That’s what I was afraid of, but I appreciate the info!

1 Like

You can install the 2-1 there as long as it’s in between the line and load, and you use aux switches in the other positions (not dumb 3/4 ways).

One of the 3-wire cables in that box would carry line, neutral, and the signal wire for the traveler. The other would carry load, neutral, and the signal wire for the traveler. You’d have to change the wiring on all the switches, as you’d be replacing 3/4 ways with aux switches.

If it turns out there’s one box that has both line and load in it, then that’s the only place you can put the 2-1.