Blue 2-1 local/remote protection not working

Hello everyone! I’ve done a lot of looking and still haven’t found any advice to help.

I am using Blue 2-1 switches in Smartthings. I have the edge drivers installed so I can see all the options in settings. When I select “Local control disabled” (Parameter 256) in ST, I can still do everything programmed at the switch like nothing changed. The same happens when selecting “Remote control disabled” and trying things through the ST app. Nothing is different. The firmware version is current (01020200). Im not sure if it matters at all, but I do have Smart Bulb Mode enabled running Hue lights. It didn’t seem to matter if Smart Bulb Mode was enabled or not. I have multiple switches and they all behave the same.

Thanks in advance!

Define"everything programmed". When you press the paddle down does it cut power to the light?

“Everything programmed” would be the routines I have set in ST.

If
Lights on remotely or Up button pressed (any condition met)

Then
Light switch turn on and I also have a command to turn the two Hue lights on directly with 100% dim level and a certain color temp.

The same commands, but opposite exist for turning the lights off.

Switch Mode is On/Off
Smart Bulb Mode is enabled
Local Protection is Local control disabled
Remote Protection is Remote control disabled

If I remotely turn on/off the lights, the command executes. So I’m not sure how the Remote Protection is inhibiting the lights from turning on/off.

The same goes for Local Protection. Pressing the up/down paddle turns the light on and off even with Local Protection enabled.

What smart bulb(s) are WIRED to the switch? When you press the paddle up or down with Local Protection enabled, does it cut the power to the smart bulb(s)? Say bulbs turn on or off doesn’t answer the question, as there may be rules in play.

The only thing that Local Protection will do is prevent the switch from physically cutting 120VAC to the wired load.

I have Philips Hue recessed lights on almost all of these switches. I also said I had Smart Bulb Mode enabled, so no power was cut at the switch so the Philips Hue app wouldn’t show the lights as “unavailable” because the power at the switch was cut.

After you said that the only thing the Local Protection does is prevent the 120VAC from continuing to the load, I disabled Smart Bulb Mode and disabled all routines created in ST. I know the description on the setup guide mentions a little more detail about the relay being the focus, I guess I was under the impression that Local Protection would disable ANY input at the switch. The description in ST is even worse to follow, “Ability to control switch from the wall.” It makes it sound like anything at the switch can be inhibited.

So the only way the smart switch works is by making it an extremely dumb switch. No associations. Just on and off for the load. I’ll have to get creative with the config button to have it do what I want. The Local Protection does work as it should as long as you make it a very basic wall switch. Thank you for clarifying that and showing what needs to be done for normal operation of the option.

Now if only I could figure out how to dim the Hue lights correctly using the switch in dimmer mode like I can through ST or the Hue app, that would complete everything!

1 Like

Here is the support article on binding w/ST.

Getting back to the DLC concept, the idea when using the switch with smart bulbs is to prevent paddle presses from cutting power to the bulb. But the switch still needs to function as a scene controller, so the tap and multi-taps are still recognized. That way, you can do a single tap up or down, use it with a scene, but it won’t cut power to the bulb.

I did the zigbee binding using those directions. What I found was that the only way I could get the zigbee id for binding was to delete the lights from the Philips Hue app and add them through ST alone. It didn’t seem like I could have both the light directly controlled by zigbee binding AND available through the Hue app. After adding the light through ST and having it successfully bound, I would then go into the Hue app and add the light that way. Once the light was added in Hue, I would lose the direct control at the switch. I can always try again from scratch just to be sure of my findings.

Yep, you cannot have bulbs connected to the Hue hub AND do binding. This is a limitation across Hubitat and HA as well, AFAIK.

And smartthings

At least I was able to come up with a sort of “Local Control Disabled” for the switches involving ALL buttons. I just added a precondition that has to be met where the dimming level has to be set to a certain percentage before it executes the rest of the routine. So if the light switch is on, before it can be shut off, the dimming level in the ST app must be set to, say, 80% before the down paddle can be pressed and the light shuts off. This way, the smart bulb mode is still enabled and I can control the lights separately via the Hue app if I need to. It’s all for child prevention when im having parties, etc.

1 Like